Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you guys think about Sweet Potatoes?

As I'm getting closer to my goal, Ive been starting to think about what things I may start eating in the maintenance stage that I haven't so far. Ive probably been a little more strict as far as my eating than a lot of people as I haven't touched Alcohol, Caffeine, rice, bread, Pasta, potatoes, anything fried, no deserts, no sugary drinks. I never slipped, never took a cheat day, no breaks or anything. I don't know what would happen if my sleeve gets full because I measure everything and never gotten to that point lol. I actually haven't even eaten any fruit.< /p>

So to my question. Ive been thinking about adding sweet potatoes to my routine. what do you guys think about it. do you eat them? I wasn't because I figured they would still be high in sugar.

I'm five months out as well and like you have been really limiting my intake. My NUT says that sweet potatoes at this stage are OK, although only after Protein. I haven't tried them yet, however. I am slowly starting to expand my food repertoire as I really am getting tired of a a very limited range of foods so far (made even more limited by my sensitivity to lots of foods post surgery). It's worked well and I am happy with my results, but I know that in order to be successful further on, I will need to expand the types of food what I am eating. Good luck!

I say go for it. I would start out slow since its been a really long time since you've had them. Treat it like you would any new food your trying again post surgery, slow and with moderation to make sure your stomach can handle it.

im like you sir, i went really strict, no sugars, no fruit, less than 20 carbs a day etc, i recently hit goal, and i still avoid starches like the plague. sweet potatoes are no real difference from potatoes, a little better but not much. i do have a few tablespoons of brown rice or basmati now and then with my Proteins, and i confess i have three french fries sometimes with my turkey burger patty. pretty much for me, my only carbs come from flatout brand foldits the skinny girl version, and the little carbs that come from sugar free maple Syrup, as i use it on my Protein mugcake in the morning. I am starting to get better at vegetables, but having avoided ALL sugars for so long its hard to give in to even vegetable natural sugars. So i feel your pain.

They just don't seem worth it to me.

I don't have enough room after Protein, and what room I do have I really want to save for green veggies.

I was very strict until I got to maintenance and then I very slowly added in some healthy carbs like: sweet potatoes, brown/wild rice, some whole grain Pasta, more fruits and veggies. I just added them slowly and have continued to measure and log all my intake and weigh about twice a week to make sure I am staying at a steady weight.

I even have the occasional unhealthy foods and have been able to maintain so far.

I think as long as you remain aware of portions and your intake you should be fine.

Congrats on your success!!

I had an insanely long day at work last week.

Had a Protein shake on my way to work and 16 hours later realized I'd not eaten since.

Bad, bad practice and not a habitual act.

Came home.....relaxed and threw some sweet potatoes in foil and tossed on the grill and sipped down my Water while they cooked.....opened up the vents fully in a little while and threw on some marinating ribeye steaks.

Served the potatoes with butter, cinnamon & turbinado sugar on them. Again, bad practice, but one I'm not in the habit of doing.

Rn3jvbd.jpg

At first the flavor was killer......but then the mushy sweetness was too much after a couple bites and I finished my meal with some of that steak.

My family each ate a whole sweet potato just like mine and declared them great.

Took my leftovers to work for lunch the next day.....couldn't touch the sweet potato but finished off the steak over the course of two meals.

Edited by Dub

@@Dub - your cook out pictures rule!

At 16 months out, I eat them quite a bit at this point. After my Protein and veggies, I'm usually only able to eat a few spoonfuls, but I enjoy them quite a bit! Helps get my good carbs in ;)

@@Dub

Can we all come over to your house to eat??

im like you sir, i went really strict, no sugars, no fruit, less than 20 carbs a day etc, i recently hit goal, and i still avoid starches like the plague. sweet potatoes are no real difference from potatoes, a little better but not much. i do have a few tablespoons of brown rice or basmati now and then with my Proteins, and i confess i have three french fries sometimes with my turkey burger patty. pretty much for me, my only carbs come from flatout brand foldits the skinny girl version, and the little carbs that come from sugar free maple Syrup, as i use it on my Protein mugcake in the morning. I am starting to get better at vegetables, but having avoided ALL sugars for so long its hard to give in to even vegetable natural sugars. So i feel your pain.

And see, in my opinion, some sweet potato carbs would be MUCH BETTER than fries or flat out bread....sugar or not. Look at it that way ;)

I'm all about non processed at this point in maintenence. If it comes straight from the ground to my plate, i'm eating it! I don't think the natural sugars is what made us fat. It's all the processed crap.

@

I'm in maintenance. I love sweet potatoes. I have to keep my carbs in small amounts still. They trigger hunger for me.

Oven roasted sweet potatoes.

Cut sweet potatoes in bite size pieces

Coat lightly with olive oil

Season with toasted garlic, Montreal steak seasoning and parsley flakes

Bake in the oven at 400 until browned and tender.

If I eat more carbs I adjust my workout to burn it off. Its finding balance that works for you.

I agree sweet potatoes arent bad, i just have hard time going back to vegetables, thats just my own personal issue with letting go of weight loss and getting into maintaining. Honestly i dont like the way i look at this 170 weight, i liked it a bit more at 180, but theres no way in hell im gonna intentionally gain weight lol. if over the course of maintaining my weight bobbles up a bt toward that level then ill be ok with it, i think. also i saw a plastic surgeon the other day just for the sake of it, and he stipulated the amount of loose skin i have would amount to about 10+ pounds of weight. so id really not like to be UBER skinny. at my age it kind of looks..well thats just my feelings. but anyway, i say whatever works for you go fo r it!.

My NUT added them in week 3 post-opt (they were more concerned about portions and texture than nutrients for the first 4 weeks.)

Basically, I had three warm foods approved during the first month. Week 1-2 just refried beans; week 3-4 added loose eggs and sweet potatoes. I put low cal/carb BBQ Sauce or Green Tabasco on all three and ate 2-3 ounces.

I think SP and RB are an okay special side, but not good for everyday eating. I find that I can't eat much in the way of carbs until late in the day -- they just make me more hungry and I'm only 12 weeks out.