Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As 2015 draws to a close...

Hi Friends. As we are only days away from the new year, I was taking stock of 2015 and thinking about how it went for me. I had many health issues in 2014 and while I lost most of my weight in 2013, I was focusing on getting myself better physically the first couple of years of my journey.

For the first time this year, I was past most of my health issues or learning to live with them. I could finally enjoy my new life as a normal sized person who no longer was in horrific pain or had mobility issues.

The highlights...a new grandchild born in April. The best thing about Holden and my weight loss is that I can get down on the floor with him and play or I can walk around the neighborhood with him in the stroller. I'm no longer limited by what I can do with him. We're taking a family cruise in June and I expect to be running after him all over the ship. That was not possible pre WLS.

The second highlight is that for the first time in oh...about 15 years, I have a man in my life. The weight loss was health related, not relationship related. But once I felt healthy, the thoughts of sharing my life with someone came back. I am enjoying the things I didn't even realize I missed such as the touch of a man and the closeness of having physical love in my life. From a practical standpoint, I can move around in a way that was impossible before WLS and even with the loose skin, saggy boobs, scars and other things that let's me know I'm no spring chicken, I feel like a young girl when we are in bed together...or when we are walking around the city holding hands. If the relationship fizzles, so be it...I still have a great life with or without him, but for now, I'm very happy sharing my life with this man.

Third....was my lifelong wish to get to London. I finally made it there this past summer and walked all over the city. Was it perfect? No. I actually had pain and couldn't walk as much as I wanted...but I still walked and biked as much as possible. I took the bus and the 'underground' and nothing stopped me. I was afraid that I'd missed my chance to travel when I was too heavy to do so comfortably and now, the whole world is open to me again. I've gotten a second chance and I'm not going to blow it. Every time I think about eating poorly..and making bad choices, I think about all that I've gotten back over the last few years and it's usually enough to make me stop going down the wrong path.

And best of all, my day to day life is full of the simple pleasures of fitting in the world again...both physically and emotionally. I'm no longer on the sidelines watching others live their lives while I cannot. Nothing holds me back anymore. I never have to think about whether or not I can do something..I just do it. Now that I can walk with no effort, I can do anything I want...or go anywhere I want. The only thing better than 2015 will be 2016...and the years after that. I feel younger and healthier now that I did ten years ago and because of that, I look forward to each and every new year and the adventures they may bring.

Wishing all my BP friends a very happy and healthy new year and here's to 'losing..and how much we gain when we lose and maintain'. :D

@@gowalking Thank you for your post. I was just wallowing in self-imposed misery because I had a small gain over the holidays. Thank you for helping me put everything in perspective. It's important to look at the positives and how far we've come. (I'm also back at the pool today so will overcome this small setback).

What a marvelous and thoughtful post. You have achieved so much and I aspire to have your attitude when I am two or three years down the road. Thanks for inspiring us and showing s how it should be done! I pray your hopes for 2016 to be even more fulfilling than 2015 comes true for all of us!

Love love love this! You inspire me every day. ????❤️

What a great post!! Wishing you the best in the years to come. :)

@@gowalking wonderful post! Makes me happy to hear and see all that you have done this year and gives me hope that things will only get better.

I hesitate to say that I am trying to get myself back into the gym after seeing the surgeon on Monday. I hope she will say OK and I can get back to some activity. Sitting around and not being able to do much is such a downer and it's true what they say a body at rest tends to stay at rest and it's not going to be easy getting back into a routine again...especially after the new year when the gym is packed full of New Years resolutions, but I'll have to count myself among them and suck it up and get to it.

I'm hoping for a happy and HEALTHY 2016 for all!!!

I just love your wise posts. Thanks for this. I have been struggling with some issues with my son and it made me think of all the great things that have happened since I lost weight.

Just today I was running across the street when the countdown clock said 10 seconds. I would have waited last year this time. I actually bounced!

@@gowalking, thanks for the post. Happy new year to us all. The bypass was in April, and I have had wonderful results. No, it did not take away all external problems, there is still a foot of snow outside right now, my relatives still think I am too liberal, and I still have overeating impulses! But, slowly nailing those really bad habits -- behavioral types say that after 4 months without feeding the habit, it is likely gone -- I am about to declare "too rapid eating" a thing of the past; drinking with meals is long gone; beer and soda pop are gone; too big of portions gone (thanks pouch). Am working on stronger daily exercise habits but almost 120# gone sure makes me more mobile.

Looking ahead to a year from now. I would like to be close to goal weight, my eventual is goal weight at two years out. I want to enjoy healthy wonderfully tasting food, and see my BMI under 30!

What an awesome year. Something tells me 2016 is going to be even better!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and inspiration. It is a tremendous help to see how you embrace life.

A wonderful testament to a life renewed! Beautiful!

Here's to you, Liz, and to your healthy life and all that it now holds -- you are showing up for it all and that's a beautiful thing to see. You have been a great inspiration to me. Keep on keeping on and appreciating every minute of what we have, yes!

You are an inspiration! Thank you!!!