Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excited and Terrified

I am waiting for one more doctor appt in a few weeks to get surgery cleanence. It is routine and should be no problem. I am now concentrating on an issue that has bothered me since the beginning I just cannot seem to get past. I am clausterphobic and terrified I will overeat or eat somehting that sticks and feel like I am choking. I cannot get out of my head the feeling of what happens if I truly feel like I am choking and cannot breathe. Am I just overthinking?

Tesa

I think it is perfectly normal to be scared and worried about upcoming surgery.

It has been many years for me , but I personally never have felt like I was choking or short of breath. I have spat up a bit but it is NOT the same as throw up as we know from flu, etc.

I don't recall it being discussed in these forums either. Some others may have experienced that; see who comments?

I'm hoping you will be as thrilled as I was in a matter of hours as an outpatient.

Best of luck! Update us.

Good luck! Scared is normal. I've been stuck but it's not a choking thing or breathing thing. Like Julie said, it's a sensation of having to spit up food that just won't go down. Lots of salivating but not nausea. No retching either. Hope this helps. Sounds gruesome but for me it's not that bad. And it sure taught me to chew thoroughly and slow down.

Thanks! Both of you helped my fear alot. I need to get over this hurdle and just deal with it.

Hi @@Tesa11!

I had the exact same fear as you - the idea of having a 'stuck' episode was absolutely terrifying. No one could seem to explain it. As a one-year banded person who has had her share of these now, let me put your worried mind at ease!

A bit of food will go down that hasn't been chewed well enough, is too large or perhaps too 'dry' (like leftover chicken from the fridge, for example). For me, a 'stuck' episode begins by me getting an "oooohhh no..... here we go' as I feel the food travel down my esophagus.

If it's a 'mild' or minor episode, it will feel like a bit of uncomfortable pressure (never pain) behind my breastbone. I stop eating (nothing can get by) and just wait patiently for it to pass. You will not be able to drink anything either, as the blockage has formed a little dam between the opening to your stomach at the base of your esophagus at the banded site.

I usually take a break, stare off into space (my husband knows this look by now!) and just wait for the blockage to pass through the band. A mild episode will resolve with little fuss. The food just needs a wee bit of time to work it's way through. When it does, I get instant relief (the pressure disappears) and I get a "Phewf! Dodged a bullet there!" kind of feeling. I then SLOW DOWN and take more care with the next few bites of my meal!

A more major episode will not resolve on its own and results in my having to 'vomit' up piece of food that is blocking the band. In my whole year since being banded, I have only had three of these episodes, TWO of which were COMPLETELY my fault. I knew better! The other one I was betrayed by a creamy tiramisu. This resulted in an utterly tragic waste of a delicious (yet tiny) dessert.

ANYWAY.

For me, a serious stuck episode will begin like a mild one, but then the feeling of pressure behind my ribcage will increase to the point where it feels like I have a pool ball stuck there. Throughout the ordeal, I can breathe perfectly! It is NOT the same as choking. With a serious episode, I feel my mouth start to fill with saliva and slime. That's the signal for me to leave the table and continue the party in the nearest washroom. I can expect to be gone for the next 15-30 minutes.

The 'sliming' is common to us Bandsters and is comprised of thick, tasteless saliva and mucous. This you will produce in copious amounts and get rid of in the toilet or sink. Then your body will take care of the offending food by whoopsing it up. It is like vomiting, only without the nausea. You will feel the contractions and then up will come the blessed piece of food. Ah, gross but instant, joyful relief. :-)

If you are like me, you will curse yourself for taking that big a bite /that piece of bread /that lovely forkful of whatever and swear you will never do it again. The rest of my meal will be shot, the contractions taking away my hunger and leaving me with no desire to eat for hours.

I tell you all this not to scare you, but to reassure you that stuck episodes will pass and are not a big deal. As a new bandster, you will be learning how to eat again - slowly, mindfully, small bites, chew, chew, chew... you are human and therefore may mess up a few times, but it is not the end of the world. You are learning a new skill!

Hope this was not too graphic for you, but rather informative and weirdly reassuring!

PAying more attention to how I am feeling phyically this week I am realizing that I often have an upset stomach, dizziness,reflux and belly aches. It is from my sugar being too high, blood pressure being too high and overeating. All of these are the reason I decided to look into the lap band. If I feel this sick anyway it sounds like what everyone is describing will actually be better than what I deal with.

Like you, before I had WLS I had acid reflux and dizziness.

My surgeon was terrific and when he got in there to place the band, he also repaired a double hiatus hernia that was causing me the heartburn and dizziness. My issues resolved instantly.

I cannot tell you how much better I feel since having the surgery. Knee problems are gone, my lower back issue has resolved and my acid reflux is no more.

Like you say, if you are feeling this sick now, your surgery will be a blessed relief! I'm sure you do the work on researching how your eating habits will need to change in order to make sure you are not defeating the band... it takes some work but it's such a joy to see the results! Worth it. So worth it!

Thanks! That reassures me a lot!

I had a crazy panic fit this weekend. We went to wedding for a friend of ours son. There was awesome foods and the one I struggled with were the pita breads. I LOVE PITAS!! I sat there, pita in hand, bite in mouth wondering if I will ever be able to enjoy even a few bites of one smothered in humus, baba ganoush, tahini, etc. All the yummies. Yes I would indulge a bit on nearly everything in small amounts but will I ever enjoy even a little bit of the entire thing again after surgery? My fear was made worse when my husband reminded me that they have 3 more kids! The whole panic attack seemed weird to me but so scarey. It is just a bread product and I obviously am not ready to go without it forever. Please anyone tell me I am just having pre-surgery jitters and making mountains out of mole hills! I feel like a total whack job!

Your tastes may change. Mine did. You would never have convinced me I'd be uninterested in pizza or other foods I previously loved, but that's exactly what has happened. Don't worry. And you don't have to give it up forever. Just for 24 hours. One day at a time.

I agree with JustWatchMe - your tastes may change.

Pita, French stick, crusty rolls (all the things that aided in my weight gain of 100 excess pounds) are all no-nos for me now. After several "close call" sticking episodes (mouth watering, that "FEELING" of "oooooh no...." with bread products I simply avoided them.

Now I have no desire for them. My tastes have changed.

Hummus, baba ghanoush, etc for me all goes with veggies now. I'm better for it!

I felt a little sad and mourned the loss of breads and pizza (not a big deal for me, but occasionally it was yummy...) but the pay off was worth giving these up. 70 pounds down, and I am absolutely overjoyed with how I feel.

Hopefully your tastes will adjust, too, you will begin to see the results of your sacrifice! Hang in there!

The entire event was odd for me. That may be my favorite food but I have never been one of those people who has a huge love affair with food. Maybe canolis, I could be accused of that :). Don't get me wrong I do like to eat or I would not be in the jeans I am in. I guess I just am obsessing over nothing and worrying becasue this entire experience has gone so smooth. I need to just relax and stop expecting the worst. Thanks :)

Here I sit, all done with every apppointment and waiting for insurance approval.This is normal with our insurance I guess. At this point if I do not have surgery in the next 21 days I will have to go see my primary care again because my insurance requires it within 30 days of surgery. Ironic that they are the ones holding it up. So just hanging around here waiting.

Here I am again. FInally I have a date! April 18th!

Here I am again. FInally I have a date! April 18th!

Happy dance!!!