Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone found the journey after surgery easy?

OK first of all I get it......its just a tool ☺️

I am pre-op....and I know weight loss after surgery means a dramatic change in lifestyle and I am prepared to do the work.....

and even my surgeon has said his patients finds this journey hard.

But have any of you lovely post-ops found the journey easy or maybe better put...not as hard as you thought it would be?

Hell no! It's never easy, never will be. It's like being an alcoholic and quitting drinking, it's a life long achievement to eat properly and exercise. Some have it easier at first and no matter what they eat, the weight falls off, then 5 or 6 years down the road they learned nothing and it all creeps back on! But, it can be as easy as you make it by making eating right and exercise a habit!

Following. I'm pre-op, too.

Absolutely not. I'm currently in the Stage 2 diet meaning I can eat cottage cheese, yogurt, Soups, etc in 1-2 oz sittings. I have found that since I can now eat some solid food I want to resume eating more. The 1-2 oz fills me up but I find I'm having to exercise a great deal of restraint with not wanting to "nibble" on other Proteins. For now the carbs aren't a huge issue for me as I've done Atkins before with significant success.

Nope. I struggle at times with wanting to eat things I shouldn't, I still see the 250 lb woman I was before the surgery in the mirror at times (going to therapy for this), I struggle with plateaus even though I know it's a normal part of the process. I have to deal with people who don't understand the process telling me I am losing too much weight (even though I am still obese and a nurse at that!). I still have to talk myself into exercising at times. Despite all of this, overall I feel so much better. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Oh, I realized early on that I'm now only trying to survive what I just did to myself. My little buddy, my sleeve, is putting me on the line. Gotta chase the Water minimum. Gotta chase the Protein, gotta slow the F down and chew, chew, chew. And yet, my day is simple. Track what I injest, eat and drink as much protein as I can, schedule exercise...

Hi there....I am 2 years post op and the hardest part for me in the beginning was not being able to eat my emotions away. I don't know about your story but just remember to eat slow and chew really good so you don't have any complications

I am 14 months post op. 5'4" . Went from 287 to 158. I don't think it was hard at all. Was it an adjustment? Yes. Do you have to fight cravings? Yes. You will hit stalls and get frustrated. You must stick to the plan as much as possible and stay active and the weight will fall right off. So hard for me? No. Always easy? No, but I wouldn't say it's hard. I've never been successful at weight loss until I had this tool. Just stay the course, stay focused and you will have success!!

I originally had the sleeve and was totally committed so yes it was easy for me. I followed my plan to a "T" and lost the weight I wanted to lose. THEN the hard part began. How do I keep it off. I have a hard time resisting foods once I start eating them so now I have to find healthy alternatives and literally stay away from any of my trigger foods; I will not be able to be successful if I "just have a bite/just have one/just have a handful".

I have to accept this life change as it is a big one; I will be a minority in the world of eating out, at parties, gatherings, bars, coffee shops, lunch outings etc......BUT I love wearing a size 6 and the way I feel and look. I pray everyday for the support and guidance I need to do this!!

Yes, I found it is much easier than I anticipated.

I had an awesome surgeon, great support, and an very uneventful recovery.

I have found the post-op program simple (not necessarily "easy") and straightforward.

I also had the benefit of years of therapy and recovery and working on food issues that I believe has played a huge part in helping me through this process.

I have come a long way and have a long way to go, but I am more hopeful and optimistic than I have been in years.

I haven't found it that difficult so far (I'm 7 months out). Although I had a couple of advantages going into this thing - I'm not an emotional eater (just a volume eater), and I've been a healthy eater for several years (I was just eating......oh....3000 or so calories a day pre-op). So other than cut way down on carbs (and most of mine were the complex variety) and portion size, I really didn't have to change much else. I think it would be much harder for stress eaters or for people who have to adapt to totally different foods. I also know it's supposed to get much harder a year or two out when you hit maintenance.

Thanks for your replies, it's good to see some of you have found this journey not as challenging as first thought. Only time will tell for me. I'm definitely a comfort eater so it will be interesting how this will affect my journey after my surgery.

The two biggest things I am dealing with post-op (6 weeks Thursday) are eating slowly/chewing to applesauce consistency and getting in my fluids. Never was big on drinking fluids to be drinking fluids, drank when I was thirsty. As for eating, changing a lifetime of eating habits is harder for me than I thought. I would suggest trying to incorporate those changes now because I know I wish I had.

Big tip: Water is your friend!