Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Survived a Cruise 1 month post op

Hi all, just back from a week long cruise. Left for the trip at day 26 post op and was pretty nervous about eating, flying, etc. Came back and gained .5 lbs but had a great time.

I didn't expect to lose any weight on this trip and was pretty happy that I didn't have a big weight gain.

I searched and searched for some advice about taking a cruise so soon after surgery and didn't find much so thought I'd share my experience for others about my trip on Carnival Cruse Lines.

This is definitely not advice and don't recommend anyone does this but what I found:

Buffet: Limited Breakfast selections that worked for me. Scrambled eggs, some luncheon meats, scoop of tuna from the deli, maybe a sausage link (only had them one day), milk. The yogurt they had was only 3 grams of Protein and loaded with sugar so avoided that. I did order a Guy's Hamburger and had a couple of bites of the burger with a fork and not too bad. There was some other stuff that looked edible for dinner but never ended up eating dinner at the buffet.

Dining Room:

There was usually a Soup every night but found most of the chilled Soups seemed to me to be very high in sugar so I avoided them unless there was no other option. Entries were limited to eat because of being carb/pata heavy or tougher meats. They always had flat Iron steak which was tender and I was able to eat so got that a few nights and most other nights got chicken or something like that. Got a tofu steak one night and it was bogus :). Had to cover it with hot sauce to make it edible. Sorry tofu lovers...

Only one night did they have a no sugar added desert that was something I was able to eat and it was a key lime mousse. Most the other nights, the no sugar added desert was cake or bread based. I usually couldn't fit desert anyway so didn't deal with it too much.

Islands, Beaches:

Most serve typical beach stuff. Burgers, fried foods, etc but there was usually something that you could order if you wanted. I'd usually get something simple like a club sandwich and just eat the meats. Had a fry here and there also.

Alcohol:

Talked my doc prior to cruising and although he did recommend being very careful with alcohol, he said it wouldn't damage my sleeve or anything like that. This is definitely not medical advice and just sharing my experience.

So a couple of the days, on the beach and here and there, I had a pina colada's or daiquiri's and maybe a beer here and there. The first couple of beers I had, I would put my finger in the top and shake them a few times to let out the carbonation and to be honest, flat beer, even when cold wasn't that great. On our last beach day, someone bought me a Heineken and I didn't shake it up but drank it right from the bottle, carbonation and all and it went down okay, no pain or anything but waited a little bit before eating or drinking everything else.

The buzz if definitely different.. About mid week, I went wild and had two Frozen banana daiquiris (with a dark rum floater) in about a half hour time span and got a good buzz but the buzz was gone within an hour at most.

I really enjoyed the cruise but found that having some soft-ish Protein Bars were definitely beneficial for those times that I didn't want eat Breakfast at the buffet or beach food.

I enjoyed the cruise tremendously and found there was always something to eat but you definitely had to plan a bit due to buffet hours/selection and choices in the dining room. Keep in mind, I was just starting soft foods so had some limitations.

With all that said, I'd do it again in a second..

m

I hope you get back on track. You're eating things you have no business eating. You're 28 days post op. If you really want to change your life you're going to have to get serious about your diet & exercise. I'm 1 year post op. I have 70 more pounds to lose. So far I've lost 160. You can do this if you really want to. The hard part is behind you. Remember the reason you got the sleeve in the first place. Good Luck to you.

Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine going on a cruise so soon after surgery. (Actually, never been on a cruise but understand there's always tons of food involved.) We're going to Disney World about a year out from my surgery, and I'm worried enough about that! Good to know there are some acceptable foods available on cruises. Could you have packed in shakes and puddings and Protein Bars and survived on those? Probably. But this was also a vacation. I think you made the right choice. You don't feel like you deprived yourself, so it will be lots easier to get back to your regular eating program.

No way I'd have done that cruise so soon after surgery.

Cruises are great. Going on another in a few months....roughly 5.5 months post-op. Didn't want to book it until I knew I was on solid ground with all aspects of recovery.

Glad you survived.

I'm back on track and really feel the only thing I had that was questionable was alcohol and a couple of fries. Everything else was on my plan.

I brought a ton of Protein mix, bars and stuff with me but only used the bars, with out nuts, seeds or lumps and they are on my plan.

No regrets about what I did and not making a habit out of any of it, was just scared to go, but glad i did and thought I'd share that it was a survivable experience.

m

Thanks for sharing your experience and offering up a lot of helpful information. My wife and I love to go on cruises and look forward to hopefully going on a 10-year anniversary cruise next year.

Overall I think you did good, especially when most people end up 10+ pounds heavier after a cruise.

Overall, I think you did well. You took a few risks but I am glad that you are back and can focus!

No way I'd have done that cruise so soon after surgery.

Cruises are great. Going on another in a few months....roughly 5.5 months post-op. Didn't want to book it until I knew I was on solid ground with all aspects of recovery.

Glad you survived.

Thanks, wish my schedule went differently but booked the cruise last January 2015 for December 2015 and then all the sleeve talk came from my doc and before I knew it, it was either wait until after the cruise or do it before the cruise. Always had in mind to hit the beach 20 lbs lighter but was at 40 lbs lighter and it felt great.

m

Good on you for sharing. I also travel a lot now retired. We got back from Burma one week before I was sleeved ( I was sleeved last Tuesday) so sort from pain and a chest infection I am going well.

I have a dinner party to go to in 2 weeks (3 weeks post op) I am already beside myself. As I have told no one and I will be on soft mush then.

I told my host I had problems with peppers and curry.. As being faced with rice and a curry would be dreadful. I know I should tell her but I am not there yet when I loose the weight and am more confident.. Anyway so wonderful that you ate out all the time is very impressive. If you can do this for a week I can do it for 1 night! Good for you getting back on track to. This is how we all should live now. Watch what we eat drink loads of Water exercise and enjoy our new bodies! This is what it's about isn't it?

I am so jealous of your cruise and I am glad you went.

This tool will be with you for a lifetime and it seems you managed to navigate it pretty well. You were not perfect, but neither is life. ????

Best of luck on continued success!

Thank you SO much for sharing. My step-daughter is getting married and I will just be 3 months out. I have so many fears about how eating will work out. We also have some family issues, so that alone is anxiety producing.

I appreciate your honesty, and it helps me to know what I'm facing. Congratulations on the weight loss! I hope I'll lose a significant amount before the cruise too! ????