Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories and carbs

That sounds really low for both calories and carbs. What is your Protein target? Are you reaching your protein target every day? Your calories and carbs should be dependent on your protein. What does your NUT advise?

That is really low for Protein. I was about 1000-1200 calories a day at your point but that was with at least 100 grams of Protein a day. I don't think 50-55 grams a day is doing very well on protein. The minimum my surgeon suggests is 80 grams and that is for women who started out with a BMI of 50.

At 4 months out I was getting most of my protein from food.

Getting 60-80 Grams of Protein and 64-100 ounces of Water are the only things I was ever concerned with. I never counted calories other than a few spot checks just so I could speak the "language" of other patients on the forums.

600 calories the first couple months

800 calories at 4 months

1000 calories at 6 months

1200 at 8-10 months

maintenance of 1400-1600 somewhere around 14 months postop

These weren't purposeful calorie "goals", just basically the calories I was able to comfortably consume at the time, given the type of food I was eating, Even though I wasn't counting calories, I made an effort to NOT restrict my intake. I didn't want my metabolism getting screwed up from an extended low calorie diet. I always just ate when I was hungry and just until satisfied, not full.

I've Never once checked grams of carbs or fat along the way.

Edited by Kindle

Any suggestions for Protein besides shakes??? Would love any ideas you could give me!

Sure. Greek yogurt, tuna, turkey, cottage cheese, chili, eggs, etc.

Didn't your NUT provide you with a list of protein-rich foods?

I am a month out and I've gotten fantastic Protein mileage out of Isopure Natures Best Fruit Drinks. 40g of protein in 2.5 cups. It's like flavoured Water, not thick and zero Cal. And it doesn't taste awful. I start my day there after some Peanut Butter and it puts a huge dent in my needed protein.

I am a month out and I've gotten fantastic Protein mileage out of Isopure Natures Best fruit drinks. 40g of protein in 2.5 cups. It's like flavoured Water, not thick and zero Cal. And it doesn't taste awful. I start my day there after some Peanut Butter and it puts a huge dent in my needed protein.

Just be mindful of how fast you consume that much protein. Our bodies can only absorb 10-20g protein in an hour. (Best case scenario) The rest is converted to glucose, so you might as well be drinking sugar water.

I'm at 3 months out and eat about 900-1000 calories a day and 90-100 grams protien. I was low on calories the first two months but feel great now.

I never really counted carbs. My doc said to shoot for 1000-1200 calories per day with 86g of Protein. I always overshot the protein goal. It took adding high protein Snacks to get me to that calorie level but I'm really glad now that I did that as my metabolism kind of "reset" in a very manageable place (1300-1500 cal/day with regular exercise) for long term maintenance.

I am so totally frustrated ! Maybe someone can clarify for me. I am 4 weeks postop, eating soft foods...turkey,puréed Soup, yogurt, cottage cheese, Baby Bells, etc. I take in about 450 to 550 calories, 40-60 g of Protein and most days drink 36oz Water (sometimes a little more) and I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks since my first doctors apt a week after surgery. I cannot believe I went threw all this and feel like such a failure. What should I do ?!

I am so totally frustrated ! Maybe someone can clarify for me. I am 4 weeks postop, eating soft foods...turkey,puréed Soup, yogurt, cottage cheese, Baby Bells, etc. I take in about 450 to 550 calories, 40-60 g of Protein and most days drink 36oz Water (sometimes a little more) and I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks since my first doctors apt a week after surgery. I cannot believe I went threw all this and feel like such a failure. What should I do ?!

following. You are not alone.