Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The One Thing No One Tells You About Losing Weight

http://news.yahoo.com/one-thing-no-one-tells-124907596.html

When you lose over 100 pounds, there is a good chance you will see it in your face. I am 38 years old and have lost over 150 pounds. I do look older now and am trying to do what I can with retinoids and facial (chemical peels). Since I did lose my weight rather quickly, I am hoping that my deflated cheeks look a little better with time. I am mostly bothered with my parentheses lines, which were never there before. Plus, I tend to look a little more tired.

Will this happen to everyone that loses a large amount of weight? No, probably not. It depends on age, how much weight lost, genetics, and how quickly you lost your weight. Anyone else notice this? Lucky you if you still look like you did when you were a teenager. I'm wanting to hear from those that have also experienced an aging face and what they are doing about it.

This is only a minor setback. I would still have the surgery if I knew this was going to happen afterwards. At least my body feels 15 years younger.

I go in for surgery Monday so I will have an answer soon!

I know I've always noticed in people's faces/necks when they've lost a large amount of weight. I am pretty sure it just looks off for a little while, and the skin eventually rebounds somewhat.

I know I've been okay so far, just the smallest of sag in the neck area, but that's minimized by the fact that I got my cheekbones back. :)

I figure if my neck area doesn't tighten eventually, I'll fix it later if it continues to bother me. But you are so right - I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat considering how much better I feel and move.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

I have heard that Rodan + Fields can really help that....I just started losing so I can't say firsthand, but the folks I know that use it regularly look SO much younger. I wanna become a consultant someday when I have the extra money to get started....my dream - to be healthy & loving myself. ????

MsCyrus, I wish you the best and an easy recovery after your surgery Monday.

Frankiesgirl, you are so lucky to have good cheekbones. They really do help the face look younger. Your comment about facial skin rebounding with time is encouraging.

Momto3redheads,

I am actually a mom to one redhead. Anyway, what is Rodan + Fields? Is it a product or a procedure? I've used Murad products before, but they are quite expensive. Red light therapy is also suppose to be effective, but I have yet to hear a first hand experience from anyone that has used it.

It is a line of products you can only get thru a consultant -- kinda like Mary Kay in that manner? My friend that sells it has the most amazing, clear skin & looks incredible since she started using it. She doesn't push it on people - just shares with people that ask. Anyhow, the docs that created Proactive are the ones that created Rodan + Fields. I don't know a lot about all the details as my husband lost his job so money has been tight for awhile.

I have three redheaded girls....if only I could bottle the different shades...so pretty! ????post-58279-1451096406311_thumb.jpg

I see an estitician for my skin. She is licensed and also a registered nurse with 25 years in the plastic surgeon field. There are many options available thst are less expensive than Rodan and Fields.

I am excited to see what she can do if I have the sagging skin!

http://news.yahoo.com/one-thing-no-one-tells-124907596.html

When you lose over 100 pounds, there is a good chance you will see it in your face. I am 38 years old and have lost over 150 pounds. I do look older now and am trying to do what I can with retinoids and facial (chemical peels). Since I did lose my weight rather quickly, I am hoping that my deflated cheeks look a little better with time. I am mostly bothered with my parentheses lines, which were never there before. Plus, I tend to look a little more tired.

Will this happen to everyone that loses a large amount of weight? No, probably not. It depends on age, how much weight lost, genetics, and how quickly you lost your weight. Anyone else notice this? Lucky you if you still look like you did when you were a teenager. I'm wanting to hear from those that have also experienced an aging face and what they are doing about it.

This is only a minor setback. I would still have the surgery if I knew this was going to happen afterwards. At least my body feels 15 years younger.[/

I found fillers help with the parentheses or marionette lines as well as in places of lost volume like cheeks.

How bad is it. Do you just look like everyone else your age and not used to it. I hate my fat body. Am I gonna hate my thin body too.

Please inform us more about chemical peels. I seem to have decent thick skin, but beach living as a kid gave me sun spots. I'm really thinking some sort of re surfacing, but unclear on what.. Thanks

I think the majority of people that I've seen lose a large amount of weight look younger, though I too feel that I look a bit older (I'm 52 and have lost 110 lbs). But I'm so happy with my weight loss, and that the clothes I wear now are flattering, that I'm just happy where I am. My only regret it that I didn't do it sooner. I put on nice, stylish clothes, and feel really good about my appearance for the first time in decades, and I have to stop myself from traveling down the mental path of "It could have been like this throughout my 40's if I had done this years ago" - because that's not productive thinking, so I just concentrate on sticking to the plan and continuing the success that has been largely possible due to the sleeve.

It could be that I am starting to look my age. In the past, I had been use to others commenting that I look much younger than my actual age. I'm hoping it will all even out once I stay at my goal weight for an extended period of time. I'm not going to gain weight back in hopes of my face looking younger. If I did, what are the chances that the gained weight would first go to my face?

I'll probably get laser or chemical peels at a clinic in a few years. Right now, I've been doing an at-home chemical peel that isn't nearly as abrasive. However, I have seen some improvement with it after a few applications. The one I am using now can be found at http://www.cosmesearch.com/swisspeel/index.html. It's inexpensive and uses non-toxic natural acids.

Cosmetic injectables (fillers) are useful to plump the skin out in your face to help with lost volume.. Especially in the cheeks and nasolabial folds - ( )

I'm dreading wrinkles. One thing I always had going for me even at my HW was my younger looking face. I may even have slight rhytiphobia or full blown one.

Post surgery I have amped up my skincare regimen. I am currently using and loving M- 61skin care line. And am hoping for good results.

Edited by dusky goddess