Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Disorders and WLS

Decided to make this thread since I had a eating disorder and did not see a topic for it. So sound off if you had or still have either bulimia, binge eating, anorexia, emotional eating or have a combination of any of these or some that I did not mention. Please share your thoughts and opinions or just want to vent about having a eating disorder and WLS.

I had anorexia as a teenager about 20 years ago, After surgery, I did experience certain times when I felt like I was slipping back into that same mentality. I started attending OA every Sunday and truly feel that it helps keep me grounded. Also, I attend cognitive behavioral therapy group meeting sessions every month. It helps to get my thoughts and struggles out in the open and hear helpful feedback from group members that also have experienced similar weight loss issues. This I find more useful than feeling pressured to talk for 60 minutes to a psychologist with predictable feedback and therapeutic strategies.

If you have a history of an eating disorder, I encourage you to have a plan prepared before surgery. Your physical and mental success will depend on it. Otherwise, old behaviors and bad habits will creep back in full force.

Edited by WL WARRIOR

I went to an eating disorders clinic pre WLS to assess " what is wrong with me". I feel I was accurately diagnosed; not an eating disorder, but disordered eating. I am not 100 percent of the difference but I didnt have binge, anorexia, bulimia or anything like that. My history was of knowing how to eat healthy and being able to do it for extended periods of time but then..it was like..I just couldn't do it anymore and start overeating again. The counselor said I used overeating as an emotional ballast...like everything would be "in control" and then suddenly I just couldn't repress the urges to eat too much of the wrong junkie food.

Since being at goal my perspectives have evolved. I had a physical issue - being freaking hungry 24/7, but I did use food as a sedative and obesity as a shield and protection. I discovered that my old ways masked anxiety, protected me from heartbreak, and made me feel safe.

I know this is why I ALWAYS regained in the past...I couldn't tolerate all that. So, my real transformation went beyond losing half my body weight, it extended to becoming a more complete, vulnerable but strong person who really loves life and sucks it all in instead of wearing a shield to protect myself.

I still see a counselor from time to time and the reoccurring theme is that it is okay that I love deeply, feel losses intensely(like my dog dying this fall is still a heartbreak) and I don't need to"fix" it, it is ok to just feel it.

So in the end, I think for some of us dealing with underlying issues and changing bad old habits is key to maintaining. As a wise woman on this forum once said "you don't get over 300# without some kind of issues"...

I have struggled with eating issues my whole life. I truly believe that the work I have done (therapy, OA, etc.) up to now is why I have had such a positive experience with my surgery and recovery.

I have observed that many of the people who have the most difficulty are those who have not done any psychological work related to food issues: whether due to addiction, eating disorders, or just dealing with stress and life.

WLS is a major change and is extremely stressful. Without healthy coping skills and support, it is even more so.

I for one have had way more success using the models of 'behavioral modification' of my 'Sport Eating' habit AKA overeating/eating till full/etc, than the wide variety of other approaches over the decades.

From 60s era meds & later counseling/hypnosis/more meds, always weighed more each year than the year before.

Graduated high school 1963 at 269. Topped at 373 before ever hearing of WLS. Last week I was within 10# of that, thanks to Lap Band & the various efforts via tips/comments/discussion/education here.

I'm certain there's a component of 'eating disorders' if not an entire hotel with multiple rooms & hallways as I've stumbled down many varieties attributable to such.

I also am convinced some substances, such as high fructose corn Syrup, creates some kind of mental/emotional debility that triggers a massive binge of overeating, like hives or an asthma attack for someone with that kind of issue.

In the end, whatever I may label my eating situation, I find WHEN 'eating behavior' is controlled by rational process, I have success and move toward my goal.

I am suffering right now with binging and purging...I have an assessment at an eating disorder clinic next week. I had my surgery about 2.5 months ago and lost 30-35 lbs though I was only 235 to begin. I was in my 140s and had this issue then was put on a medication which made me gain 100 lbs. I am 29 from NJ, married etc...

I've fought with BED for most of my life, beginning when I was a young child who would often go long periods without food because we were extremely poor for a few years after my mother got sick with MS and kidney disease. So when we had food (from food cupboard type situation) or when my mother was able to get us food (which was mostly Pasta, one of the absolute worst foods for you) I would stuff myself and then some, knowing it would be a while before I had another chance. Fortunately, we only stayed in this degree of poverty for a couple years. However, it was right during the time that I began going through puberty and developing PCOS. The hormone disorder, which flared in a huge way based on the absolute crap that I was eating and the sporadic eating, coupled with the previously mentioned issues, launched me headfirst into obesity. By the time we were able to start eating healthy again, my disorder was out of control and was not even diagnosed for many years later. I was in two sports, and was a very active, happy kid. My pediatrician, for whatever reason, never made the connection between my ballooning weight and my first period. Fast forward a through a decade of relative poverty and the crappy food that comes along with it, severe suicidal depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, and a pretty bad case of BED, and I had reached 400 pounds.

Now, I'm pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't think I would go so far as to call myself anorexic or seek treatment for it, but I have a lot of anxiety based on food. I feel guilty when I eat anything, or even drink anything beside Water. When I gain a couple pounds or stall, instead of telling myself it's because of my period or whatever other reason that is actually true, I feel like I must have eaten way too much. I follow my nut's plan to the letter, though I still struggle to get all the calories I'm supposed to be getting. It's like the food that once numbed me is now a live wire that could hurt me if it gets too close. I definitely think that this is my own form of transfer addiction. And control, of course... eating disorders are all about feeling out of control. :(

Wow, I just read some of these and it feels like how I was years ago. I went to a eating disorder clinic for bulimia which I conquered the bulimia only to end up trading it for binge eating which is not good (trading another bad habit for another) either and it seems I should go back but can't because I am in the process of doing the health insurance thing all over again. So I seriously hope to get through everything and be a much happier and healthier me, I think this life change is a good one but a very stressful one. The last time I was super skinny was between 10-11 and ever since then I would yo yo between pants sizes. I feel the effect of bulimia really bad, I started when I was 9 years old and been on and off of bulimia ever since and just conquered it recently (2014). I just want to get rid of my binge eating for good and just eat healthier and stop doing this bad stuff to myself. Okay, that's all I have to say.

Honestly, I don't know how anybody who needs WLS can not have an eating disorder. I know there are physical components, but I think we become extremely obese from a combination of factors.

i eat emotionally. I don't know if there's an actual "disorder" that goes along with how I eat or not, but I have started to go back to therapy to learn how to control it instead of it controlling me. I decided I better get it under control before I have surgery in a couple of months rather than later.

Honestly, I don't know how anybody who needs WLS can not have an eating disorder. I know there are physical components, but I think we become extremely obese from a combination of factors.

Indeed.

I remember the psych evaluation in which "an eating disorder had to be ruled out" before being eligible for WLS so of course I insisted on not having an ED but secretly I only thought:

"Dude, if I didn't have an ED I wouldn't be this fat".