Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I understand why we dont tell people we are getting the sleeve...

I have told my family who is really supportive. I told a teacher at school only because I was out for exams.

At work which I have not gone back yet I only told one person. There is a girl there who is a beach body coach and a witch. I hate talking to her because she knows "everything" about diet and exercise. I am sure she will figure it out and spread it around. If that is the case I have HIPPA on my side since we work at a hospital.

i told everyone and i even post in my blog online, and on anywhere i can, and i try to help anyone who asks. We suffer too much in silence, without spreading the word and the truth, we cant change opinions. I beleive until we change the attitudes surrounding surgery, then more people have to hide and not get it, and they suffer and die needlessly. But that's ME and MY opinion. I respect everyone else's. Without the support of family and my coworkers and friends, This journey would have been a lot harder and take a lot more time.

I'm just telling a select few. My husband, children, mom (she had RNY) and one friend cuz she will most likely have to watch my dog when I get my surgery. I find it's easier to keep it to yourself at least until after you've had the surgery just so you don't have to deal with the foolishness of other people and their opinions. Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody's got one!

Opinions are also like a**; everyone has one -- and it stinks

vaginal reconstruction????

ROTFLMAO :D

and I spewed coffee all over my desk and keyboard!

Vaginal reconstruction-- hey that could be my next surgery!!!

I am sure she will figure it out and spread it around. If that is the case I have HIPPA on my side since we work at a hospital.

Just so you are aware, HIPPA does not cover information from one person to another in the context of "visiting", "talking" , "divulging", etc. It is only in the context of a client or patient and his or her health care worker/provider. If this person you are talking about has provided health care to you, such as has functioned as a nurse taking your vitals, a physical therapist working with you, your doctor/PA/NP, dentist, the receptionist that makes your appointments, the billing/coding person involved at the clinic/hospital, etc., then yes it is covered by HIPPA.

If you just work with her (regardless of if it is in a hospital, clinic, Wal-Mart or a bank) and you divulge info to her she is not bound by the HIPPA law. There may be other legal things like libel or slander but I am not a legal person so don't know anything about that stuff.

I work in the medical industry in psychiatry so am pretty familiar with HIPPA, as in mental health we are even more protective of info and know that a lot of people do not really understand HIPPA. I just don't want you to have a false sense of security. Unless a person is directly involved in your health care, they are NOT bound by HIPPA no matter where you work.

I must say again, I have told lots of people, as I am an open book, and I have not heard anything but very positive and encouraging comments. People check on me often and am happy for me. I consider myself very lucky and blessed!!!!

Karen 091866, you crack me up! The "vaginal reconstruction" comment made my day! I'm scheduled on 1/5/16, so starting the New Year off with a huge change. I am keeping my circle of folks in the know very small as well. Hope my doofus encounters are limited!!

most people know for me, the ones that are mean, like oh you took the easy way I just blow it off because I know deep down it is not true. It is hard. very hard and a life struggle, if they do not get that, poo on them.!

I don't understand why plastic surgery is acceptable but bariatric surgery is not. Whatever. I don't listen to the haters. They don't live my life and I'm not living for them.

As the kids these days say...bye Felicia!