Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I understand why we dont tell people we are getting the sleeve...

Anyone else seem to have friends and/or family that always seem to know "someone who knows someone or was married to someones ex-someone" who has had that and died??? like really people??? no you don't. stop trying to talk me out of it because you haven't taken the time to even look into what i am saying. ugh..people

Anyone else seem to have friends and/or family that always seem to know "someone who knows someone or was married to someones ex-someone" who has had that and died??? like really people??? no you don't. stop trying to talk me out of it because you haven't taken the time to even look into what i am saying. ugh..people

For every one of the people they found about who died from this procedure:

"My next door neighbor's, best friend's, twice removed Aunt whose best friend's favorite restaurant has a person who delivers their produce and their son has a kid in their gym class who has a paper route and they think that one of their customers died during this procedure or divorced their wife and moved away, but they aren't sure";

I bet they know many more first hand who died due to complications brought on by obesity.

I think I will go with shark attack when asked! Or...hot air balloon accident! Or....???

I have a necklace with a shark's tooth on it (found it at the beach when I was a teen). I think I'll use that MsCyrus! LOL

I've Told everyone and they mama. I don't care if someone is against me so far everyone is supportive....except I have not told,my dad. He is very old fashioned..... We actually do know someone that passed but unsure if it was Lipo Tummy Tuck or what kinda weight loss thing it was...... So I know my dad will use her as an example... I'm hoping if I can explain to him that is simple like my gallbladder and it's recommended by doc he won't be so scared......surgery is in Feb so I gotta figure,out how to tell him before

I have my hernia repair at the same time so I can easily say...I had esophagus surgery and that called for a liquid only diet for 3 weeks!

I actually did have a friend that had weight loss surgery years ago that passed away. She passed away not because of the surgery, but because she didn't do the right things after she had it. She had bypass surgery so she had a problem with malabsorption (sp?), she did not follow the guidelines, plain and simple. Armed with this knowledge I have made it my mission to ensure that I get my Protein, Water and Vitamins. I didn't use her experience as a negative against weight loss surgery, I used it as a learning experience.

I have only told a select few but when asked directly what I am doing to lose weight I tell the truth and for the vast majority of people the response is overwhelming support. For the very few who were not supportive I just remind myself that they don't have to live in my body I do and choosing wls is my way of providing myself the best future I possibly can!

I've Told everyone and they mama. I don't care if someone is against me so far everyone is supportive....except I have not told,my dad. He is very old fashioned..... We actually do know someone that passed but unsure if it was Lipo Tummy Tuck or what kinda weight loss thing it was...... So I know my dad will use her as an example... I'm hoping if I can explain to him that is simple like my gallbladder and it's recommended by doc he won't be so scared......surgery is in Feb so I gotta figure,out how to tell him before

Omg! I haven't told my dad either. He's a very old fashion Jamaican and hates western medicine. When I was in high school my cousin came up from Jamaica and she was hospitalized for some rare medical condition and died after surgery. My dad would FLIP his lid if I told him. I plan to keep it from him as long as possible. I love him dearly but he just wouldn't understand.

I only told a select few and yesterday affirmed why. I was at church and someone noticed the huge bruise on my arm where my IV blew out. She asked if I was ok and I told her I just had a medical procedure done. She smarted off that she hopes it wasn't a stupid weight loss surgery.

I didn't tell people because I didn't care to hear their opinion on what I was doing to my body. Guys seem to be more apt to put it out there, but then again men aren't caddy like women.

I got a similar comment from a co-worker...I mentioned something about a low carb diet and she says something like "I hope your not going for that weight loss surgery"...I just said ha ha and walked away

Everyone is a doctor and they have no clue to feel like us....

So far I have told ONE family member, my boss and ONE close friend. All of whom are supportive of my decision. I attempted to tell my sister and she was very ignorant and negative with her comments like "you aren't that big" or "you don't need surgery"...I'm 260lbs!!! When should I get surgery?. ..the time is now, I don't wanna get bigger.

I really wanna tell my other best friend but she has a big mouth and a little bit of jealousy. I just can't trust her right now. Once I start losing the weight I will share with her. She's also in the 250's with crazy blood pressure and could definitely benefit from it.

Omg! I haven't told my dad either. He's a very old fashion Jamaican and hates western medicine. When I was in high school my cousin came up from Jamaica and she was hospitalized for some rare medical condition and died after surgery. My dad would FLIP his lid if I told him. I plan to keep it from him as long as possible. I love him dearly but he just wouldn't understand.
I'm so with u on that.... I'm trying to figure out how to tell him

I did the same thing, Dub. Not like ppl aren't going to notice massive weight loss quickly. Everyone has been extremely supportive and positive. I have not had one person say a negative thing yet.

My situation showed me how the people that "were so supportive" were not really being truthful. I began with my insurance company and started jumping through hoops. As I was doing that told a few people and they were all very sportive, "You have to make your personal decision of what is best for you", "Good for you!", "Let me know if there is anything I can do", "I'm so glad you are taking this step in your health".

THEN - my insurance denied me...I told them all it was denied and then I heard from the same people:

"You are going to be so glad you did not do that", "You will feel so much better that you did it on your own", "I'm glad you are not taking the easy way out", "Weight-loss surgery is for lazy and vain people, you are better than that".

Now I am going to Mexico, surgery in 2 weeks. I have told only my sister and mother, both of whom had WLS years ago and understand and really are supportive.

I hope everyone has people that will honestly be supportive. But remember you don't owe anyone an explanation of anything. I also have to have a hysterectomy with bowel and bladder repair sometime this year. I am not explaining that to anyone either. They will see I don't use the bathroom every 30 minutes, but I don't feel I have to tell anyone anything. When people see my weight loss I will say that I have decided to make some hard changes in my life and take better care of my health. I am eating better, I am not on some fad diet and I am getting more exercise.

Just be careful who you tell, remember you can't "untell" anyone.

scottyd1264,

Haha, so true…everyone’s a doctor! Not to mention a nutritionist, life coach, and fortune teller (they can see into the future and know when you’ll fail at the diet…). I’ve never figured out a way to deal with it besides lose the weight and keep it off…so I’m looking forward to you sharing your journey with us!