Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I understand why we dont tell people we are getting the sleeve...

Everyone is a doctor and they have no clue to feel like us....

I told no one but my spouse. The best of people get jealous of you and go on the attack and all you can ask yourself is, what did i do. You did nothing but tried to better yourself. That is all it takes for some to single you out and make sly remarks and ridicule you...

Push forward it will pass. We are here for you!!!

I'm just telling a select few. My husband, children, mom (she had RNY) and one friend cuz she will most likely have to watch my dog when I get my surgery. I find it's easier to keep it to yourself at least until after you've had the surgery just so you don't have to deal with the foolishness of other people and their opinions. Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody's got one!

I pick and choose. Now that I am post-op. Pre-op I keep my circle very small. I didn't want to deal with anyone trying to talk me out of it or putting negative thoughts in my head. I believe you need to be able to go into surgery with a positive outlook. I did my research so by the time I was committed to surgery I knew what I was getting in to.

I like some of the others kept my circle VERY VERY close pre-op. Now I honestly don't care who knows. So far no one has been really judgmental except for a very close friend of mine who knew pre-op but she has gotten over it.

I find that now that I have lost almost 60lbs and look and feel better everyone wants to know "what did I do". So I tell them and tell them how wonderful the experience has been. I remember pre-op I would hear horror story after horror story and I wanted to spread some truth and good information regarding the sleeve. I also find that the people who are asking me tend to be people who would qualify for the sleeve vs. naturally thin people. I actually have referred 2 people to my surgeon who are going through with the procedure in 2016. They like us were overweight, unhappy and have numerous health concerns. Remember being that person? I am only too happy to share what I went through and how everything in my life changed because of one day.

Just my opinion.

I made the decision upfront to only tell a select few. I haven't regretted it once.

I only told a select few and yesterday affirmed why. I was at church and someone noticed the huge bruise on my arm where my IV blew out. She asked if I was ok and I told her I just had a medical procedure done. She smarted off that she hopes it wasn't a stupid weight loss surgery.

I didn't tell people because I didn't care to hear their opinion on what I was doing to my body. Guys seem to be more apt to put it out there, but then again men aren't caddy like women.

Thats awful beckyrow! What did you say? Some people are so rude and just dont think before they open their mouths!

I told my friend when I was pre op and I got nothing but negative comments after that I decided to keep it to myself except for my mom, sister and husband. I was so proud of myself for finally taking the step and doing this and I didnt need anyone dragging me down before I even had the surgery. Im 4 months post op now and I am very choosy with who I decide to tell. Luckily I have had no more negative comments when I tell only positve remarks and lots of compliments!

I told my boss and my coworkers.

It's not like they wouldn't have noticed my different way of eating & drinking and the large volume of weight loss that is in progress.

Seemed kind of silly not be honest about it.

I look at it this way......I did this to make immediate improvement with my health. I really don't need anything from them. My friends before are still my friends......

This is about my own health and nothing else.

I will say this.........the response has been overwhelmingly positive from everyone. Even one of the ladies at work who was not in favor of my decision to have wls approached me the other day and asked for surgeon contact information. She has a close friend that she wanted to see do what I did. Funny stuff.

There are a lot of self appointed health experts among those we all know.....they do seem to come out of the woodwork at times.......they remained supportive, though....both before and after the wls.

Water off a duck's back.

No worries.

Thats awful beckyrow! What did you say? Some people are so rude and just dont think before they open their mouths!

I told my friend when I was pre op and I got nothing but negative comments after that I decided to keep it to myself except for my mom, sister and husband. I was so proud of myself for finally taking the step and doing this and I didnt need anyone dragging me down before I even had the surgery. Im 4 months post op now and I am very choosy with who I decide to tell. Luckily I have had no more negative comments when I tell only positve remarks and lots of compliments!

I explained to her that she is not privy to my medical concerns that made the surgery necessary as soon as possible. I also helped her understand some of the things about it that are not what she thought. I don't think I made her a believer, but maybe she'll think twice before judging the next person in my shoes.

Dub, you crack me up!!

I told a select group. I finally told my mom after really worrying about telling her, asked her to not tell everyone and she told everyone so I don't give her any updates and she hasn't mentioned it so maybe she forgot. I am guessing when I fly to see her in 4 months that I will have lost some weight and maybe she will notice.

I am finding that I just want to be alone this last week. I have huddled happily up in my room with all my liquids. I don't want to share or talk about it with anyone and I am sure they will be just fine!

I don't know how I will discuss this with people after. I will figure it out when it happens! I am excited and I am ready!!

Dub, you crack me up!!

I told a select group. I finally told my mom after really worrying about telling her, asked her to not tell everyone and she told everyone so I don't give her any updates and she hasn't mentioned it so maybe she forgot. I am guessing when I fly to see her in 4 months that I will have lost some weight and maybe she will notice.

I am finding that I just want to be alone this last week. I have huddled happily up in my room with all my liquids. I don't want to share or talk about it with anyone and I am sure they will be just fine!

I don't know how I will discuss this with people after. I will figure it out when it happens! I am excited and I am ready!!

You'll find your response.

Before speaking on it to folks..........take a deep breath and collect yourself.....then speak.

That deep breath and moment to collect is for you.......determining how much you want to disclose about your rapid weight loss. "No, I don't have a disease..........Yes I'm okay.........." :D

I tell everyone. It doesnt bother me. Those who think they know everything would just be finding something else to know everything about anyway.