Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Men, Food, Booze: 3 days Post-op

Wow, I have to hand it to so many of you. Since I was low BMI I was not required to do a pre-op diet really..I ate better, but I ate. And now at day three, I am seriously frustrated. I don't even know how to put it to words, I am actually upset with myself seeing how much I dependent I am on food for comfort, love, and a sense of peace in a strange way. I am use to stuffing myself every single day, I loved feeling stuffed...well, that's not entirely true. There is shame, hopelessness, and frustration in that act as well. But food was my choice of drugs. I am also a recovering alcoholic, so I know all about addiction. And I know, food was a drug to me. I've been co-dependent on people, places, things (men, for certain) and here I am without my normal coping strategies. I can't stuff my face; there is not a man in sight, and it's too demoralizing to think of some of my options; and I ain't gonna drink or use any mind altering substance, wow that feels like...wow, a hit in the head. I just been so dependent on men, food, or some mind altering substance to feel okay and cope with life, this is hard. I took a walk and tried to get my head straight. Reached out to a few friends but can't completely share since I have told virtually no one of my surgery. I feel like I am being a huge infant about it, but I just knew I had to talk about this with someone and tag..you are all it (God bless you). I need to get this off my chest. I am a little physically hungry, but more than that, I just wanna stuff my face. Order a huge pizza, Pasta, garlic bread, large pepsi..watch the debate tonight..gosh darn it, change isn't for the light-hearted.

Tell me it gets better, this big old baby needs to be burped.

Well, technically you can still use a mind altering substance as long as you smoke it or snort it and bypass the stomach.

Lol, just kidding!

Being newly post-op is difficult, especially when you didn't have a pre-op diet. I only had a 1 week liquid diet and adjusting to no longer having food as a comfort took awhile. You will begin to feel better once you are further out from surgery and can slowly eat solid food again and when you start to lose weight. Until then, smoke and snort away...lol, still kidding.

Hi sweetheart! I know a lot of us here are for reasons other than being hungry. I am 4.5 weeks out and am doing much better as far as head hunger goes. There are still times I want food for comfort, like when I'm really stressed. I can say that seeing weight fall off totally motivates me to not eat what I am not supposed to, also, I CANT eat much without getting stuffed.

I have seen many resources posted on here. There are books that help with eating for reasons you mentioned. I think it would be a good idea to find a therapist who specializes in this kind of thing. It couldn't hurt, right?

I wish you the best of luck. You can do this, I know you can!!

Promise it gets better! Congrats to you for recognizing it as an addiction. Strongly recommend counseling to deal with that addiction battle as you work through it.

Thank you so much for responding! It's so nice to get support from all of you..really..so heartwarming.