Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey newbie here and i have a question for the veterans about psych medications with bypass. my surgeon said i would not have any issues and i trust her but i want to get a patient perspective esspecially that first year did you have to lower or up your doses due to the absorbtion issues with bypass. i am maxed out on a couple of my medications so upping them is not an option i know when i go in for my psych eval i need to bring this up but i just am worried i will be dealing with wacked out meds along with the body changes that come with this surgery

Since your body won't absorb all the medication, upping it as needed should not be a problem.

For me I am just keeping in touch with my psychiatrist. I am told that I should be fine, and I know myself extremely well if something isn't right and will seek out the help I need. I am curious as to what "vets" have to say though. My big day is on the 28th!

I take 200 mg of zoloft at night and haven't noticed any difference. I was also on 40 mg of adderall XR but had to change it to "regular" (non XR). I noticed a big difference. I was instructed to take 20 mg in the morning and another 20 at lunch. The morning dose had no effect on me at all. I was a little more focused after the second.

My doctor had me try 40 mg in the morning and another 20 in the afternoon if needed. This seems to do the trick.

Keep in mind, I'm not a veteran. Surgery was 12/2/15.

Hi, I'm hoping for a surgery date of late Feb 16 and that is one if my main concerns too. I expect some depression in the first few weeks because that seems a common thing but I am really concerned as to weather my antidepressants will be effective. It's taken me many years to get the balance right.. my pharmacist couldn't shed much light on it... so I am interested to hear the feedback too.

I take Prozac and haven't had surgery yet, however, my surgeon did let me know that I'll want to make sure that I monitor for changes (and have my husband on the lookout as well) because I'll quite likely need my dosage adjusted due to the amount being absorbed after surgery. It sounded like it was more of a 'wait and see' and then trial and error to find the correct dosage again, much as it was the first time we were finding a med/dosage that would work well for me.

well today i have my psych eval required by my insurance and drs office and i will bring up the meds issue then. also my psych np used to do evals for bariatric patients so she has some idea of what will and wont work when the time comes i hope

Hello all. I'm not a long-term vet, had my gastric bypass surgery on October 26, 2015. I take Wellbutrin and Lexapro and have had absolutely no problems with depression since surgery. I make sure to take my Vitamin D every day because I tested low for it and my psychiatrist said a deficiency could contribute to depression. Each day as I track my food intake I do a quick assessment of my mood and make a note of it. If something is going on I will have a good record of it. Best of luck to you all.