Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in a few days, any last minute advice?

I haven't had surgery yet, but some really good advice I've heard was to bring your own pillow with you to the hospital. A couple reasons why is because you have a comfort of home, if you put a different color pillow case on it, you won't forget it, and plus it's good cushion for your belly on your ride home from the hospital. Place it between your body and your seat belt.

This is good advice, I found that I didn't need anything between the seatbelt, but everyone is different

Hi guys,

I'm Dennis, from NC. I've been lurking around this forum for awhile, just taking it all in and learning. With my surgery in just a few days (the 21st), I felt like I should stop in, introduce myself and say thanks to everyone for all the information and for sharing their experiences, both good and bad. I can't tell you how beneficial it has been. With that said, any last minute pointers before my surgery?

I just had my surgery on 12/17. Good luck with everything ❤️ a few things to remember or know(things I didnt) you are more than likely going to wake up in SERIOUS pain bc of the gas and very nauseous. You may even throw up( I did) you may even think to yourself why did I do this. How can I take it back ( I did) but remember this pain and nausea is short lived. I am already beginning tot feel like myself again. I'm not trying to scare you but I wasn't told any of the bad sides to the surgery so I want to make anyone aware of the possibilities. Don't be afraid to ask for pain meds and anti nausea meds. WALK WALK WALK. Give it a day or 2 after your surgery and you will start to remember why you did and be thankful that you did. Good luck with everything you will do awesome !
Sorry for asking on someone else's post, but your reply caught my attention. You said that you had serious pain, what was hurting? Was it the incisions, or could you feel pain at your stomach pouch? Just curious, this has been one of my questions all along. I am having surgery on Dec 28.My apologies for asking questions on someone else's post, I am pretty new to this forum stuff.

Don't be sorry that's what we are all here for ! The serious pain comes from the gas that they put into your abdomen to expand the surgical field. Of course my stomach hurt but it was the gas that really was the uncontrolled part mainly bc there isn't much to be done besides release the gas. Pain meds don't affect it but as long as you walk as soon as possible you wil move the gas faster.ndont be too worried about the pain, it's a normal thing for this surgery but honestly it goes by so quickly that you won't even have time to remember the pain. I am 4 days out and spent my day wrapping presents. My pain is almost pretty much eliminated at this point. Hope everything works out and good luck on your surgery :)

Edited by kdelrosso

Dunno Dennis - A bra may lift your spirits in a whole nuther way lol

LMAO

Surgery went great yesterday, I had a bit of a rough time after, had a lot of vomiting and pain. Feeling great now though!

For me, I got sick with every dose of pain meds they gave me via IV. But found if I could distract myself from the feeling, it went away after a few minutes. Glad you are feeling a bit better now!

LMAO

Surgery went great yesterday, I had a bit of a rough time after, had a lot of vomiting and pain. Feeling great now though!

Good to hear that your surgery went well! I had pre-op testing and pre-op appointment with the surgeon this morning (Wednesday). It went well and everything is a go for surgery Monday. I'm as nervous as I don't know what! Please post your experiences over the next couple of days, if you can. Your thread has been very helpful!

I'm home now. Not a lot of pain, just uncomfortable, I've found that it hasn't worked for me to lay flat, causes a lot of gas pain for some reason. Also, pick yourself up some Gas-X strips, I read that somewhere else here and boy what a relief!

Still difficult to get all my liquids in, popsicles and broth go down pretty easy for me.

Glad to hear that your doing well.... At least under the circumstances! You did it! Now your going to be on the losers bench! Stay encouraged and just trust the process.

I think I slept in my reclining chair for 2 days once home!

Glad you are doing well :) the gas pain will pass in time ! I had trouble the first couple of days with my liquids in too.

Edited by kdelrosso

Man I forgot this thread was here. Well, I'm a little over a year out, down around 100lbs. I've hit plateaus here and there. Sometimes not eating like I should, not always exercising like I should. But every day is a new start. Overall, I wouldn't change a thing! I weigh less now than I did when I was in middle school!

The pink shirt pic is from my heaviest weight, a bit over 400lbs. The next one is just a few months old,feeling better than I ever have.

1download.png

2download (1).png