Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Piercing headache after strenuous exercise

Especially any kind of lifting - not that I'm lifting anything really heavy or anything, but basically any weight bearing exercise. It doesn't last too long, but it's very sharp and unpleasant.

Anyone else experience this? Better yet, anyone find a resolution??

Have you had your blood pressure checked? I can tell when my BP is high because I get a splitting headache, and in some instances exercise can cause that effect. Take a portable BP cuff with you to the gym, and check your blood pressure when you get the headache or right before. If you take it at other times in the day it may not show as being high because your heart has had a chance to chill out and get back to it's normal resting rate and output levels.

Also, a far simpler solution, are you staying hydrated? Dehydration can also cause a pretty nasty headache and you could be especially depleted after exercise.

Thanks! I know I need to do better with hydration, but didn't consider the blood pressure situation. I'll try that, too, and see how it looks!

I wasn't getting headaches, but was getting very dizzy after working out. Someone initially recommended those little GU gel pouches that runners use to refuel. But then someone else pointed out that those contain the exact same kind of sugar as Gummy bears. So I just started buying gummy bears from the bulk food section of my grocery store and eat 5-7 of them after every workout. It seems to have helped some.

Are you eating before or after? 30 grams of quick Protein is good right after a workout, esp after lifting. I've had it when my calories have been super light.

I get really bad headaches when I am dehydrated.

The sugar/protein thing is worth a shot too. Gummy bear Protein shake? lol. I get the dizziness and lightheadedness too, usually after cardio (especially if I change positions, like if I do my cardio on a bike and then stand up).

At this point I'm willing to try anything, I stall when I don't exercise enough and this kinda sucks.

(especially if I change positions, like if I do my cardio on a bike and then stand up)

Yep. That's exactly the scenario I was having. The Gummy bears seem to have helped.

"positional hypovolemia" can be resultant from a wide variety of causal conditions including medication and blood flow issues especially in the carotid sinus.

I've found for my own instances of such headaches after heavy exercise if I check my blood glucose level it often is way low for me....under 80 & I can expect headache, much lower & I get the wooozies & rapid decrease in focus & mental acuity.

As a diabetic the extra step of keep blood sugar levels low but not TOO low is very essential.

Low blood pressure/dizziness/headaches often accompany 'standing up too quick' when the carotid sinus in the neck doesn't feed the heart the signal to temporarily increase the blood pressure during those raising-up-quickly maneuvers.

Good info - thanks!

I plan to follow up when I see the surgeon too, but he rescheduled me for January.

the dizziness upon standing after sitting can also be a symptom of blood pressure issues so definitely start monitoring your blood pressure. I know when my blood pressure is off, I definitely have to make sure I don't stand up too quick if I'm been sitting/kneeling/laying down for a while

Sometimes a little Pickle Juice after a big workout helps me also!

the dizziness upon standing after sitting can also be a symptom of blood pressure issues so definitely start monitoring your blood pressure. I know when my blood pressure is off, I definitely have to make sure I don't stand up too quick if I'm been sitting/kneeling/laying down for a while

I've seen quite a few folks go the opposite after surgery and have low BP too.

But a piercing headache seems different than dizzy. Chances are it's dehydration but Water load, including with electrolytes and it should go away ASAP. If not, I'd ask a doctor. I had this happen once, but I am prone to headaches for no reason...