Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So..........6 month check up

I had my 6 month check up today and the dr was running late which was annoying. Then he walks in the door saying "Well.....you haven't lost much". I was upset. I started my journey Jan 8, 2015 at 265. Surgery was June 15(sleeve) and I was 240. Today I weighed in at 186. I was happy with how I look and feel, I think I still am I am just upset that the Doctor would walk in the door saying that. I start tonight with my personal trainer and I am going to take out my frustrations on him and in my workout!! Why would a doctor say such a thing!!! Plus I was having some pain on my right side which is wrist when I work out and I don't want to stop working out to wait the six months he suggest. So I came home and called my family dr he is sending me for a gallbladder ultrasound. I am just at a loss to go back to my dr who did surgery or just follow up with my family dr from now on.

Edited by grandmaofone

Your Dr sounds like a ****** bag. 54 lbs in 6 months is something to be proud of.

I would call and ask for the office manager, let them know what happened, and ask if you can safely transition your care going forward to your primary care doctor.

Forget what he said. Hugs

Edited by HopeandAgony

I would never go back to that doctor again and continue follow up care with my PCP.

F*ck him.

So you lost 80 pounds in less than a year and he isn't thrilled? What a jerk. You don't need that negativity in your life. Put on your hater blockers and go on with your bad self. ????

Edited by KristenVSG2014

Is it possible that he has dry sense of humor? Just wondering.

I, too, wondered if he has a weird sense of humor. Hard to drum up new patients if you treat your old ones with such disrespect!

You have done great and should be so proud of yourself. To heck with him!

As I had the personal trainer kicking my butt, I also am frustrated because he (the dr)asked what happened and I said the scales didn't move for about a month and he said "put the food down".

My normal day is:

*A cheese stick, if needed for Breakfast

*three pieces of shaved ham and piece of cheese rolled up for lunch

*dinner is a Protein and very small spoon of veggies.

*one Protein shake after my workout at nite

I don't think I over eat!!! I am so mad and when I told my hubby he didn't say anything and I just cried!!!

Edited by grandmaofone

As I had the personal trainer kicking my butt, I also am frustrated because he asked what happened and I said the scales didn't move for about a month and he said "put the food down".

My normal day is:

I don't think I over eat!!! I am so mad and when I told my hubby he didn't say anything and I just cried!!!

You have to take what personal trainers, even nutritionists, say with a grain of salt. As bariatric patients we have special needs. A personal trainer has not had training in what a bariatric patient needs. He can tell you how to work out and use good form using weights, that's about it. He cannot and should not give you nutritional advice unless he's been trained to deal specifically with bariatric patients. Unless a nutritionist specializes in bariatrics, they will tell you to focus more on veggies and grains than protein. Wrong. We have a lot less room and NEED protein.

Also, my weight stalls when I don't eat enough calories. Thankfully my primary doctor is smart and told me at a year out for my height I should be eating at least1,200 calories a day. I was still eating 800-1,000. I increased calories and weight started coming off again.

I know your doctor was a jerk and your personal trainer sounds like he knows what he's talking about (he doesn't) but all you have to do is the basic rules we were given from day 1.

Have you been tracking calories and macros? I suggest getting MyFitnessPal and seeing exactly how many calories you are eating so you can see if you need to increase them.

As I had the personal trainer kicking my butt, I also am frustrated because he asked what happened and I said the scales didn't move for about a month and he said "put the food down".

My normal day is:

You have to take what personal trainers, even nutritionists, say with a grain of salt. As bariatric patients we have special needs. A personal trainer has not had training in what a bariatric patient needs. He can tell you how to work out and use good form using weights, that's about it. He cannot and should not give you nutritional advice unless he's been trained to deal specifically with bariatric patients. Unless a nutritionist specializes in bariatrics, they will tell you to focus more on veggies and grains than Protein. Wrong. We have a lot less room and NEED protein.

Also, my weight stalls when I don't eat enough calories. Thankfully my primary doctor is smart and told me at a year out for my height I should be eating at least1,200 calories a day. I was still eating 800-1,000. I increased calories and weight started coming off again.

I know your doctor was a jerk and your personal trainer sounds like he knows what he's talking about (he doesn't) but all you have to do is the basic rules we were given from day 1.

Have you been tracking calories and macros? I suggest getting MyFitnessPal and seeing exactly how many calories you are eating so you can see if you need to increase them.

it was the dr that told me to put down the food, I was just thinking about my dr's appt was I was working with the personal trainer.

With the little amount of food I eat I have never tracked or keep record of it. I know that I get the 50-80 grams of protein in and that is what my nut was worried about. I am going to start tracking so just invade I decide to go back to dr that did surgery I can tell him look, this is what I am consuming.

Edited by grandmaofone

Gradmaofone, you are a rock star. Never doubt yourself, if you are following the plan you have nothing at all to feel badly about.

Example My doctor either misread my chart or someone told him wrong, but I was expecting a attaboy for being down 31 pounds from initial visit, but instead I saw a concerned surgeon saying I had gained 20 lbs. I was shocked and hurt he thought that when I'd was so happy with my progress. He just said he must have gotten mis-information. I happens but it sure put a bad feeling in place before I went into surgery. Oh well, I'll be seeing his nurse practitioner most likely and other staff ongoing (was planning on doing that before this instance anyway). And yes, I'll show him what a loser I am!

We are in this to the best outcome we can have. I know I need to not dwell on my instance, and I'd suggest you let it go too. We just found some "stuff" on our journey and we scrape it off our mental replay list and move on.

Big hugs ((((((HUG)))))

What @@KristenVSG2014 said was spot on. You really need to start tracking your macros so you know where you stand. And personal trainers work you hard, so you need to make sure you're eating enough calories to compensate for that.

Like Kristen, almost every time I stalled was because I wasn't eating enough. By 7 months, I had upped my calories to 1000. This whole thing is sometimes one big science experiment, and you have to analyze and measure things to find the perfect combination to lose.

By the way, I had lost the exact same amount at 6 months. You're doing just fine :)

@@grandmaofone - my doctor did about the same thing to me at my first follow-up. I had surgery on May 6, 2015. Follow-up was about a month later. I had lost 25lbs. He never really said anything bad but it was the tone and the message he implied to me was that it wasn't enough.

I was pretty upset. I thought I was doing pretty damn good...

Next appointment on Sept 8 I was down 63 and I was pumped up. When he came in and he was all excited I just has to ask him about our earlier visit. And I did.

"Why, the attitude back in June?". He said some people can be "challenged" (for lack of a better word). I told him I was mad and he admitted he knew I was upset in June when I left. He said if I challenge some patients they will push to get as much out of those first few months. He admitted it doesn't work on everyone and other need a different approach to get them into gear.

We know those honeymoon months are the days to really lose. I felt played. Funny thing is he was right. I was doing ok, but I did kick it up a notch. He NEVER did, or has, said a number specifically to get to as far as weight.

He did tell me that even though I am fine with about another 20 pounds he wants me to push for about 30-35. I asked him why and he said because about a year out a lot seem to put on about 10%. I hope to be within 20 of that goal when I see him in a month (that's about 10 pounds).

Just thought I would share~

Edited by jane13