Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon follow up issues

So I just called to schedule my 3 month follow up with my surgeon and the ONLY day/time he sees follow up is Thursday's at 11am. That is my option, my only option. If I want to see the other surgeon he is available Thursday's from 11-2p. I'm sorry but WTF!! I am in the healthcare field and have absolutely no way of taking off on a Thursday, especially in the middle of the day. I am upset right now that there is no option for me to follow up. My surgery was covered by insurance but I paid a "clinic fee" that was to cover a year of post of care. What a crock of crap!! Sorry, vent over.

I'm sorry that you experienced that. My follow up appointments have always been scheduled at the conclusion of the appointment I am in.

Could i possible be due to the holidays? Try calling back on a different day and explaining your situation. I also would not be able to take off with such short notice.

Not do to the holidays, I was calling ahead of time to schedule in January. That is the day, the only day he does follow ups. It's simply ridiculous.

It seems pretty crazy that there is only one hour a week that he does follow-up appointments. I mean how many surgeries has he performed? How could he possibly follow-up with everyone in a one-hour window? Definitely seems like something they should have disclosed to you prior to surgery.

That being said, I had my VSG in Mexico and I did my follow-up physicals and blood work with my PCP. So you might want to meet with your PCP and ask if he/she would be willing to order blood work for you to ensure you aren't developing any deficiencies.

One of things I often talk to others about when they tell me they are considering surgery is to ask/find out about after care. Since it seems that your surgeon has a limited schedule , I would take @@JamieLogical's advice and see if your PCP could handle it. You won't meet with the nutritionist, but at least you can make sure your vitals and blood work are where they should be.

I can easily make appointments with the nutritionist in the same office. Everyone else has been great, nurses, staff etc. I guess the surgeons are just too busy to bother with follow ups. Before surgery it was explained to me that I could make appointments with the nut anytime I needed it and that I would see the surgeon at 1 week, 3 month, 6 month etc. but it was not disclosed that he only came in one day a week for one hour. It really does seem insane. Looks like the best route would be to see my PC, thanks for the suggestion. Thanks everyone!

If it's any consolation, barring any complications, you really don't need to see/speak to your surgeon again post-op. I never spoke to my surgeon again after my surgery. I had a little scare with a potential infection at my drain site (turned out not to be infected) that another doctor in my surgeon's office handled. I got follow-up physicals and blood work from my PCP. And I corresponded directly with my nutritionist for all my post-op diet and Vitamin questions.