Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux and gastric sleeve

I am looking to have gastric sleeve at the end of March but I currently have pretty bad reflux (mostly consists of burning in my throat) and I am concerned that it will make the situation worse. I have heard of people needing to get revision to bypass to alleviate their symptoms. Would love to hear From anyone who has the sleeve with pre-existing gerd/reflux.

I had pretty severe reflux pre surgery as well. My Dr. also recommended bypass rather than sleeve due to this. They found an esophageal hernia in my scope pre op. Dr. said that repairing this would not guarantee no more reflux and that the sleeve surgery makes it worse for many. I could not wrap my head around bypass for some reason. I was willing to try the sleeve first and I am so happy did! I have had ZERO reflux issues! I took 1 antacid pill about 1 month out and have never taken another. I was taking Prevacid and Nexium 2 xs a day most days before surgery as well as Tums and Pepto. I think the surgical repair of the hernia as well as the change in amount of food and type of food has done wonders. I wish you the best of luck!

I have a hiatal hernia that will be fixed during my sleeve surgery. My surgeon said I may have to have a revision later if it gets worse.

They should do an EDG to check the health of your esophagus and severity of your GErd. He will know for sure what direction to go on then.

As others have pointed out, you may have a hernia. Also, just being obese can cause it. However, don't feel surprised if you have to take something like omeprazole for life.

I've had horrible reflux most of my life. A few months ago after I'd really started behaving food wise for this surgery i ran out of my twice daily ranitidine. And....had pretty much nothing. If I stay away from my known triggers I'm fine 99% of the time.

Bit worried about the reflux too, but if it shows up, I at least have practice dealing with it beforehand.

I had the sleeve. Although I had no previous problems with reflux I will say that the GERD was a real problem for the first 3-4 months after surgery. I went through a lot of different mess trying to find one that would alleviate it. Fortunately in my case it has essentially resolved at 6 months postop, but everyone is different.