Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decaf coffee

I miss coffee.... !

I am 5 weeks from surgery and would love to have a small cup of Decaf coffee.< /p>

How many of you are able to drink decaf coffee and do you think it is too soon after surgery to try decaf after a month or so? Is decaf coffee hard on the new stomach, because of the high acidity of the coffee even though there is no decaf? I assume if I had one or two small cups a day it shouldn't be too bad?

I started having Decaf with Creamer 4 weeks out. I'm sitting here enjoying a cup right now. I do just fine with it.

Everyone is different. I switched to Decaf tea prior to surgery (coffee=acid and caffeine impedes healing) My dr had no rules, I just did it on my own. About 2 months out, I tried to start drinking coffee again but it didn't go over well. Too acidic and caused pain. Eventually, many months out I was able to tolerate it again, but in small amounts. But after about 16 months it started hurting again, so I just bagged it and went back to decaf tea. Really strong Republic of Tea Double chocolate Matte with creamer is my morning coffee substitute go-to.

But other people are drinking regular coffee 2 days postop with no problems, so you won't know till you try.

I've been drinking Decaf since about three months out, but only sporadically. It hasn't been a problem. But as in so many things it depends on the individual. Your always better off talking to your surgeon and nutritionist to get their input and then make an informed decision to try or not. Good luck!

I started drinking Decaf right after surgery. Never had a problem. Of course I was only drinking a couple ounces, because it took too long to drink and would get cold.

I too love my morning coffee. I know after the sleeve we aren't to have any for a while. I haven't been sleeved yet (surgery in a little over a week) but I'm thinking of making a vanilla Protein Shake and adding in some dissolved Decaf instant crystals, just to have some kind of coffee flavored drink in the mornings when I get to that point.

Chike and Click and Syntrax Nectar all make cappacino/latte/coffee flavored Protein powders. It's a great double whammy....I get my coffe fix and protein! They're good both hot and cold.

I started drinking coffee right after surgery. In fact, it was one of the liquids offered to me at the surgical center which surprised me. I've never had a problem with it. I usually add a scoop of GENEPRO Protein Powder in the morning to my cup for the extra Protein. I live in the Seattle area and we are definitely fond of our coffee here!

Edited by Debbieduck4

I DIDN'T DRINK coffee FOR MANY MONTHS. BUT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I THINK IF I WERE DRINKING IT EARLY POST OP I WOULD ADD TO MY DAILY Water INTAKE.

I was drinking decaffeinated coffee a couple of days after surgery.

At 5 weeks you should be ok, but you should follow your surgeon's recommendations.

You are right, it can be a little acidic, but in reasonable quantities you should be ok.

I switched to Decaf about 3 month pre-op. Had my first cup just over 3 weeks post-op. Have never had a problem with it irritating my stomach, and can now do ONE cup of caffeine once in a while if I want/need to. Dr knows and is fine with it.

I would say, talk to your surgeon or NUT and as long as they are okay with it then try a bit to see how you do. Everyone is different.