Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Updates on December 2015 Surgeries

@@pink22 this happened to me also. Come to find out I wasn't eating enough. As soon as I started eating more, the weight started coming off.

At first after surgery I was skipping meals or going the whole day only drinking Water and a Protein Shake and the numbers on the scale were going up and up. I read on this forum somewhere of another person having this problem and how they started eating more meals on a regular basis and voila, their problem was corrected. And sure enough, I tried it and my problem was corrected. Good luck.

@@delibeanjelly I hope things start to change. I am eating everything they say to eat and in the proper proportions etc. I'll try eating a little more tomorrow and see if anything changes...

I am 1 week post op, had surgery Dec 31st happy new years to me!!!! I'm on full liquids for one more week, am down 10 pounds!!!! Tonight I thought I would just try one cheeseball my son left on his plate.....bad idea all came up....

@@delibeanjelly I hope things start to change. I am eating everything they say to eat and in the proper proportions etc. I'll try eating a little more tomorrow and see if anything changes...

. I hit a plateau two weeks after surgery. I stuck with it and had less Protein Shakes and more actual food and now the pounds are rolling off.

Hi everyone. Thought I'd say hi and share a bit of my experience too. Just like Jay mentioned above, my fiance and I also had our surgeries on 12/31/15, and are currently 2 weeks post op. We are both doing pretty good, but I'm a huge worry wart. I hope I eventually will be able to stop this because worrying constantly sucks - I mostly mean this generally. Both of us are HUNGRY, and can't wait for next Thursday which is when we'll be able to start on soft solid foods. BOY, I can't wait to have a scrambled egg. Mostly, we've just been eating Tomato Soup, sf puddings and Jello, sf Powerade, Decaf iced coffee, and Water. I feel like I've been having a bit of an issue with staying adequately hydrated, but I think little by little, I'm not having to take such tiny sips anymore, so hopefully this will help.

Normally, Protein shakes would be a thing, but after surgery, something seems to not agree with me and Premier Protein Shakes which is what we were drinking 6 months prior to our surgeries. Our dietitian did inform us that it's possible we could develop lactose intolerance, and if that was the case, we needed to switch to a lactose free Protein powder such as nectar. I had diarrhea after drinking Premier Protein shakes for 2 days, and then tried to leave it out. Sure enough, the next day, my stomach was fine. However, I don't think it's a dairy issue. I have been perfectly fine continuing to eat sf puddings with no stomach problems. In the meantime, I held off on Protein Shakes and ordered Nectar's chocolate truffle Protein Powder which is both lactose and glucose free. Today was my first day trying that, so I have my fingers crossed.

Our surgeries were the same day, and we were able to go home the next morning. All the staff that tended to us was telling us how good we looked and were doing. The only thing I really didn't like that seriously freaked me out was the breathing treatments they did. I'm assuming some of you had to do the same thing? I'm not sure what it's called but it was a little tube that almost had a little built in humidifier type thing. Obviously, it had medicine of some sort to help the lungs. This stuff made my heart race, and I said no more. Continued to use my spirometer as instructed, and was fine.

My fiance says that he feels pretty much normal and has no more pain or soreness. Me, on the other hand, still has some soreness on my right side and some tenderness around one particular incision. Incisions are all healed up and closed. Speaking of which, anyone else have a reaction to steristrips and get blisters? -.- The moment I took them off, I was all better. Finally, I also seem to be at a bit of a standstill with my weight.

My apologies for all my jumbled thoughts. I just wanted to kind of get everything out there that I had wanted to talk about. Hope all you other folks that got December surgeries are doing well!

Had my surgery on December 15th. Surgery went well, had some horrible retching for a bit after but it resolved nicely. I have no real issues since then, other than strangely I am not able to use my CPAP machine, it makes me horribly nauseous. I'm a bit of a slow looser down 32 pounds, but I am happy with my progress. I went back to work last week, and feel 100% better since, I think just getting out and doing something was a help.

Hi Everyone,

Not much of a poster but I thought I'd add my experience. I had my surgery on 12/7 so I am one month and one week post op today and doing very well. Mine was a lapband removal and revision to RNY. Hospital 1 night, came home the evening of the 8th. I came home with a JP drain that remained in for one week - it was a pain but didn't hurt UNTIL it was removed and then I had 4 days of terrible pain. I weighed 217 on my surgery date and this morning I weighed 197.1, I'm happy with that but some days it seems like I'm losing very slowly - I try to remember that it's fast compared to regular "dieting".

Eating has been fine so far - I am still on mushy foods until I see the doctor next Wednesday so I mostly comsume: Protein shakes, eggs, re-fried Beans, tuna and some Soup. I've gone from two shakes to one shake per day because they were making me constipated, ugh. I had a VERY bad dumping episode last week (first one) after eating rice pudding - even though it was low sugar pudding my doctor reminded me that rice becomes sugar as it digests. It was a horrific experience and I hope it never happens again - but, lesson learned, I will be very mindful of sugars now that I know that I am prone to dumping.

Sometimes it's sureal to me that I had RNY - I feel very well. I've had a couple of instances where I actually forget - and once picked up an entire sugar cookie (duh, bad idea) but I came to my senses and put it down. I am very much looking forward to moving to solid food - I think that will help keep me full longer (yes, I do still feel hunger)!

I hope everyone is healing and feeling well as they adjust to their new tummy!

Kelly

I had surgery December 21st. Everything went really well, had little to no pain, and have recovered nicely : ) Back at work and the gym after two weeks, and now I'm about 3.5 weeks post op. I lost 17 pounds pre surgery and 13 pounds the first week while on the Clear Liquids phase. However, I've stopped losing weight, and have even gained 1.5 lbs. since I started introducing solids. I'm doing everything right: measuring food, chewing slowly, not drinking with meals, Protein first, stopping when I'm full.

I should note, I had Lap Band done in 2007, but had band to bypass revision 12/21/15.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a post-op appt this Monday, but I'm looking for some answers!

Stats:

height - 5'10

HW - 269

Surgery Weight: 252

CW: 241

Edited by bandedat19

I lost 18 pounds pre surgery but put on a couple in my second week after surgery. Been losing at a steady rate since then. I had gastric bypass on October 26. I think it is very common for people to regain some weight post surgery. All the IV fluids, shock to your body, it throws your body off for a while. I only weigh myself once a week now. If I weigh every day it makes me crazy and because I like to eat when I'm crazy, it is counter productive for me. Lol. Good luck!

Revision from lapband to Bypass Dec 28,2015....very sore,aching,scarred but ok...still on the full liquid phase because I don't want to push forward too fast in the phases....64 ounces is a bit tough and getting my Protein is a bit tough....slowly progressing and each day gets a bit better.Very happy.

Hi everyone. Thought I'd say hi and share a bit of my experience too. Just like Jay mentioned above, my fiance and I also had our surgeries on 12/31/15, and are currently 2 weeks post op. We are both doing pretty good, but I'm a huge worry wart. I hope I eventually will be able to stop this because worrying constantly sucks - I mostly mean this generally. Both of us are HUNGRY, and can't wait for next Thursday which is when we'll be able to start on soft solid foods. BOY, I can't wait to have a scrambled egg. Mostly, we've just been eating Tomato Soup, sf puddings and Jello, sf Powerade, Decaf iced coffee, and Water. I feel like I've been having a bit of an issue with staying adequately hydrated, but I think little by little, I'm not having to take such tiny sips anymore, so hopefully this will help.

Normally, Protein shakes would be a thing, but after surgery, something seems to not agree with me and Premier Protein Shakes which is what we were drinking 6 months prior to our surgeries. Our dietitian did inform us that it's possible we could develop lactose intolerance, and if that was the case, we needed to switch to a lactose free Protein powder such as nectar. I had diarrhea after drinking Premier Protein shakes for 2 days, and then tried to leave it out. Sure enough, the next day, my stomach was fine. However, I don't think it's a dairy issue. I have been perfectly fine continuing to eat sf puddings with no stomach problems. In the meantime, I held off on Protein Shakes and ordered Nectar's chocolate truffle Protein powder which is both lactose and glucose free. Today was my first day trying that, so I have my fingers crossed.

Our surgeries were the same day, and we were able to go home the next morning. All the staff that tended to us was telling us how good we looked and were doing. The only thing I really didn't like that seriously freaked me out was the breathing treatments they did. I'm assuming some of you had to do the same thing? I'm not sure what it's called but it was a little tube that almost had a little built in humidifier type thing. Obviously, it had medicine of some sort to help the lungs. This stuff made my heart race, and I said no more. Continued to use my spirometer as instructed, and was fine.

My fiance says that he feels pretty much normal and has no more pain or soreness. Me, on the other hand, still has some soreness on my right side and some tenderness around one particular incision. Incisions are all healed up and closed. Speaking of which, anyone else have a reaction to steristrips and get blisters? -.- The moment I took them off, I was all better. Finally, I also seem to be at a bit of a standstill with my weight.

My apologies for all my jumbled thoughts. I just wanted to kind of get everything out there that I had wanted to talk about. Hope all you other folks that got December surgeries are doing well!

I had that issue with steri strips when I had my gall bladder removed. Nurse said I was allergic to adhesive, so I make sure to tell them now not to use them.

I had my sleeve done on the 14th of December. Doc says I still can't work out because it's a struggle to hydrate right now without the exercise. I'll be happy when I can again. Everything has gone well which is a blessing.

I'm on mushy foods right now, but try a bite of regular food every now and again. Some goes down easy and other times it hurts like crazy. Dr said my stomach will let me know when it's healed.

I'm currently down 36.4lbs, 18 of which were lost pre-op. I go days without any loss and then mornings like this, I wake up and have lost a pound. My dr said if I find myself at a stand still, lay off the Protein shakes.

I had my sleeve surgery on Dec. 14th. I ended up throwing up horribly after surgery and was in the hospital until the 18th. Once the nausea was gone i felt good. I am on aoft foods now and am down about 44lbs including my pre liquid diet. I feel like i am at a stand still right now which is very frustrating.

I had my sleeve surgery on Dec. 14th. I ended up throwing up horribly after surgery and was in the hospital until the 18th. Once the nausea was gone i felt good. I am on aoft foods now and am down about 44lbs including my pre liquid diet. I feel like i am at a stand still right now which is very frustrating.

Hi branton824. Sorry you had such a difficult time after surgery. Throwing up like that would be horrible! Did they try giving you zofran to calm it down? What was causing it sid they tell you? Anesthesia? Glad your feeling better now and hope you continued success! Hand in there in your stand still. I hear so many people talking about that. I've heard hold back on some Protein Shakes and eat more foods and Water and that should help. Good luck to you! I'm half way through my visits!

@@beckyrow

did you have RNY? i was told Tomato Soup had too much sugar for RNY folks? have you had any symptoms?