Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know my nutritionist said to not get on the scale for a bit and I waited 4 days. Yesterday was 3 weeks post op. I'm jogging in the pool for at least an hour every day (I did skip Monday due to bad weather.)

I gained 7 lbs post op, lost that, went down 10 then up 5 over last weekend and still stuck there. So with 2 weeks pre op diet and 3 weeks post op I have lost 5 stinking lbs.

I did this surgery because I tried everything the last two years. I gave up booze, diet soda, bread, Pasta. Tried mostly vegetarian, juicing etc. and the same thing keeps happening. I lose a couple of lbs and then stop. Last time it took 4 months to lose 10 lbs.

What is wrong with my metabolism. I know its a sin to compare but most everyone here is posting that they've lost at least 20 lbs in the same time frame.

Did anyone else have this type problem?

I need some support today before I lost my mind!

Your current weight loss is right on target and this is why they instructed you not to weigh yourself. As long as you meet your Protein and Fluid minimums the weight loss will happen. Weighing everyday is only for those who can deal with the day to day fluctuations. Weight loss, especial post WLS is not a linear process. You will have stops, stalls and even gains as your body adjust and readjust to all the changes. In the meantime hitting those Protein & fluid goals along with regular exercise is the best way to be sucessful.

Personally I log my food daily using Myfitnesspal. I did this even during the full liquids stage as a way to track my intake & exercise. I also only weigh myself once a month or whenever I have a doctor's appointment, whichever comes first. I find that as long as I am meeting my nutrition goals, I will show a loss.

step away

I think you are one of those folks who should lose their scales.

You can control what YOU do.

You cannot control what the scale does. And it will do cray-cray stuff sometimes. ;)

So now you know what to do.

What kind of juice are you drinking? If it's fruit juice then you are sabotaging your weight loss because fruit juice is mostly sugar.

Did you do a 2 week pre-op diet? Most people who do a 2 week pre-op diet tend to lose more weight than those who do not.

Get a notebook and log every single thing you eat. You really need to pay close attention to your carbs as they can really sneak up on you.

I gained so much weight when I did the juicing thing. Then it hit me bears love berries post hibernation, to get their fat back. So I started looking into it, and figured out that those bursts of pure sugar (albeit the healthiest version of it) was not a great way to lose weight.

Try focusing on high Protein. I do mine in 4 oz. implements at a time. Don't get bummed, all the data is just the opportunity to evaluate and create a new strategy.

Oops

I promise to stay off the scale. However, I did better last summer juicing (mostly green juices) than I'm doing with WLS so far. I am jogging in the pool for at least an hour a day with weights at least half of that time. I think I was really depressed because I've tried to walk and my left hip has been hurting terribly since I tripped and fell in Puerto Rico several months ago. Turns out I inflamed the joint socket and apparently I already had arthritis. I finally went to Ortho Dr. yesterday and he said not to walk on land for exercise and to use a cane. He also scheduled me to have an injection in the hip. Said after I lose some weight will probably recommend jt replacement.

First, I hope you were cleared to get in the pool. Three weeks seems a bit early, but as long as your incisions have healed then you should be ok.

Second, I agree that juice is not a very good choice for post-op. Our nutritional requirements and limitations post-op are completely different from any "diet" we may have had short-term success with in the past.

Third, stay off the scale.

Fourth, follow your program. Make sure you get in all of your Protein and fluids every day, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed, and exercise moderately until you are able to eat enough to support more strenuous exercise.

Fifth, read this:

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I was back in the pool at 3 weeks post-op with no restrictions.

Juicing may offer a temporary weight loss like many fad diets, however it's mostly sugar, very little Protein and you lose most of the Fiber you would get from simply eating a piece a fruit. It's simply not a healthy weight loss option long term. What will work is eating small balanced meals. Your body had gone through major surgery and is likely still sorting itself out from all the changes, pain meds and IV fluids. Some people do experience big weight loss initially, but others are more slow and steady losers. Just make sure you hit those Fluid and Protein goals and you should be okay.

Just follow the advice it will come off. I average 10 lbs a month. 2 lbs a week and I am fine with that.

I drink 5 calorie juice (cranberry) which my nutritionist happy with. Also Trop50 which is only 50 calories. Other than that most juice is overly sweet.

Do you journal in Myfitnesspal?

I gained 5 after surgery, lost that then a few more pounds. I hit a stall at week 2 & 3 post op. The scale would go back & forth 2 to 3 pounds. I got really discouraged but decided to keep track of inches lost. Even though the scale wasn't moving, the inches were still disappearing. When I had my month follow up & weighed in this past Wednesday the scale dropped lower than I thought it would. I lost 10 on the pre op diet & 22 post op. My surgeon told me the typical weight loss expectation in a month is 10 pounds.

I have always been the type of person who constantly checked the scales, but now I check it once every 2 weeks & I check the measurements once a week & sometimes only when I weigh in. Keep a journal & track your progress it is encouraging to see that progress laid out in front of you.

You will do great!! Hang in there!! You've got this!!

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Two weeks postop my weight loss slowed and I lost 3 lbs in a week. I busted out sobbing at the doctor.'s office. But it was just a temporary plateau. Nothing to be alarmed about. And my emotional outburst was also due to all the physical/hormonal changes. Try to be kind to yourself and focus on rest and feeling better. It will all get better. I promise.

Edited by JCP

I am a slow loser also ...... On average I only loose 2 lbs per week. I have to be honest I totally thought I was gettin the 60-80 grams of Protein and when I really started to keep better track I wasn't. Also I stopped taking my chewable Vitamins bc they no lie made me get sick everytime. Once I got new non-chewable vitamins and watched my Protein and Water content the scale started to move.

I know they say to stay off the scale but I do get on every morning on e a day.

Also my nut has me doing weight training at the gym help burn calories after your finished unlike cardio

I am not juicing now. I did that last summer. Weighed this morning and the 5 lbs I gained last weekend is gone. So I'm down 11 lbs post op. Still slow but I am encouraged today. I put on a blouse that was tight before surgery and it hangs longer and the sides are actually loose. So I can tell I'm losing inches if not lbs right now. I am going to stay off the scale. I ordered a body measuring tape and a friend who also had bariatric surgery to take my picture each week to see my progress. I think that's better for me than the scale. Thanks for all your advice and support.