Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you COLDER after surgery?

I'm finding that i am much colder the past week since my surgery, and since I'm losing weight. I guess that only makes sense as the fat starts falling off. Are others experiencing that, too? I live in Chicagoland, so winter is approaching (although we've had a great season thus far!) and it will only get colder. I'm going to be in big trouble when it does! LOL

Yes. Your body fat is a good insulator. As you lose the fat you will find that you are much colder. When I go outside and shovel the snow, I am now using hand warmers. What a great invention.

Yes!

I was the girl for many years that said "I never get cold and I am always hot!" And I was always hot. I live in Arizona and we don't get much of a winter but even when the temps would dip in the 40's I would keep a window open. Otherwise I would burn up under covers while trying to sleep, in the kitchen while cooking or even just lounging on the couch watching TV. I never understood people who wore slippers around the house or socks to bed.

Guess what? I put layers on while hanging out around the house, I put slippers on and wear socks to bed. I feel like I can never get warm enough!

I'm not - although I know it's very common!

I was very cold the first 2 weeks after surgery. Since then I have periods of ups and downs. I can easily wear sweaters to work now regularly though without sweating. Before surgery I wore short sleeves year round!

I was cold for the first few weeks and now I am back to sweating like crazy! The doctor promised to make me cold .. I am still eating!! People look at me like u am having a heart attack. I can't do anything without sweat pouring off of me!!! Please bring on the cool.. I am 8 months post op and still waiting????

I was cold at first and then BAM - hot flashes hit (due to my age). My inner thermostat changed every 30 days for the last 2 months. As recommended by my gynecologist, I started taking Black Cohosh. That stuff works great! Now I'm just cold all the time. I think it's great, I can now wear cute sweaters and even layer for a cuter look.

I sleep on the giant heating pad turned it to 140° at night ... Could be my total and complete lack of Iron though

Hello. Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I'm always cold, except when I have my hot flashes, then I'm roasting, but when that is done...im freezing because I got wet . hot cold hot cold .Crazy but 144 lbs less sooooo onward.

I keep hearing my cold spells are part hormones melting out of the fat, part anesthesia, part having less insulation. But cold don't need a reason.

Its definitely from the weight loss. I haven't even had surgery yet, but my pre-op weight loss had definitely brought a newfound chill with it. For the past 5 years or so I've been that gross woman that's always sweating - still wearing tank tops and fanning my face in the middle of a North Dakota winter. True story. After I lost the first 30 lbs, I started wearing socks for the first time since childhood and using a throw blanket when sitting. By 40 lbs I actually had to buy sweaters. THICK ones!

I definitely feel more cold minus 90#. The good thing is that now hubby and I don't fight over the thermostat!

I wish that was an effect for me but it hasn't been so far. I actually somehow think I feel warmer most of the time.

If you feel the cold now and didn't before, it's not from just fat loss. It's from brown fat loss.

It sits like a huge collar around your neck and collar bone and shoulder blades.

So if you have a boney neck and shoulders, then you are more apt to be cold because brown fat is the insulation in us.

Scientists are only now just beginning to understand what the functions of brown fat are. From what we can tell so far, main differences between the two are:

• White fat is the result of storing excess calories. When we consume too many calories, the body converts them into a contingency energy reserve in the form of white fat.
  • Brown fat generates heat by burning calories. When it is cold, brown fat's lipid reserves are depleted, and its color gets darker.