Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I won't regret this...right?

Background:

I'm 30. My surgery is next Friday (12/18/15), I'm on the pre op diet and doing just fine. I'm 5'6. Highest weight was 265, currently 250.

I'm going through the pre op jitters, I think. I've researched this for so long and have been 100% sure of this but I'm suddenly super nervous! "What if's" are killing me!!

So, those who are on the other side, it's totally worth it, right?? All the recovery, all the changes??

I know something's got to give. I can't continue on slowly marching up the scale. But change is scary! My stomach and intestines have been in this configuration for 30 years now!

I never thought I would be scared of changing from someone huge to someone small (or smaller). I didn't realize how much I hide behind all my fluff.

So, I know this has been asked a thousand times, but I need to hear it. Any regrets having this done??

You should be even more scared if you weren't scared at all.

So you wanna know about regret. I think your throwing coins into a wishing well hoping they will jump back in your hand.... Not to many people will want to answer that question.

Most people don't want to give you false hope and the others don't want you running away from the surgery.

Reality is having this surgery takes a lot of self control to maintain and be successful. I can only offer my honest opinion.

I am 9 years out as of dec 6.

Was my surgery a success ? Yes

Do i regret having surgery? Some days

Have i had any regain ? Yes

Was it hard to deal with the skinny body ? Yes, this was a very emotional thing for me personally because i felt i was happy at a heavier weight and honestly i probably would have never had the surgery but i wanted to eliminate my diabetes. Unfortunately i still have it but it is so much easier to control after the surgery.

Do i sometimes wish i would have just exercised and dieted harder instead of surgery? Absolutely

At the end of the day do i regret my lifestyle change ? ABSOLUTELY NOT, I am so much healthier now. I have self inspired motivation now.

I hope i helped and i wish you luck.

Best decision I ever made.

No regrets. Would do it over again in a second.

I'm three months out.

I had one of the rougher recoveries. I've had kidney stones from struggles to stay hydrated. I've cried over food more times in the past 10 weeks than I've cried in my life. I've been hormonal as hell. Dumping is boarder line torture.

But you know what, I wouldn't trade this for anything. Feeling normal comes back with time.

I don't have to shop in plus sizes any more.

I'm completely off all my heartburn meds.

I can actually sleep through the night now.

I ran my fastest mile ever my first day back at the gym.

People don't treat me different because of my weight anymore.

I feel more confident.

I have a new healthy relationship with food.

Being on an airplane doesn't hurt anymore or feel awkward.

Working out is actually fun now.

I can take a bath that's more Water instead of fat filling the tub.

I enjoy having people take my picture now.

It's a whole new world but I love it. Don't get me wrong, it's very very hard. But as tough as it's been i would do it again in a heartbeat cuz I'm finally enjoying the life I deserve to have. I also realized we have similar starting stats. I'm 5'6, was 257 at my highest recorded weight. I probably weighed more tho honestly. I got down to 235 on my surgery day. And now I'm 189 10 weeks post op. post-262421-14497633262149_thumb.jpg post-262421-14497633526963_thumb.jpg post-262421-14497634966473_thumb.jpg

Edited by LoseItKacy

I had RNY to get healthier. It was the only reason. I had type 2 diabetes, severe Gerd, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stage 3 kidney disease and severe Migraines almost every other day.

All I cared about was extending my life so I would not die at an early age like my mom did.

Within a few weeks of my surgery many of my comorbitities were in remission and I was removed from all mess. I got well fast!

My severe migraines went from every other day to maybe 1 every 6 weeks on average. No more diabetes, stage 3 kidney disease, Gerd, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and sleep apnea. All gone!

The I started to notice how great I was starting to look. I went from a size 26 jeans to a size 12 which are now too big, I have to go shopping for 10's.

I never ever thought I would ever care about clothes shopping but once you realize you can walk into any store and buy clothes, that becomes exciting and fun. I try stuff on just because I can!

I have never regretted it for 1 second, going in for my surgery felt like Christmas morning and I am serious about that. Sure I was nervous the whole week before but mostly it was because of the change I knew was coming.

My only regret is that I did not do this 15 years ago before I did all this damage to my joints and spine.

Best of luck to you!

I will be 4 weeks post op on Monday(gastric sleeve). I can say today my regrets have diminished.

That said, I will tell you that for the first 2 weeks I regretted the surgery every day. I had a lot of pain. My Doctor told me I had a lot of scar tissue from 4 prior abdominal surgies, 3 c sections ( 2 horizontal and 1 vertical) and a gall bladder removal. I also had non stop severe diarrhea. I was miserable.

Weeks three was a turning point for me. I feel better, my pain has significantly decreased, my doctor stopped the shakes which were causing my diarrhea... It is interesting to not be controlled by food. Sure I feel hungry sometimes. I use to come home from work angry and starving. Now I come home from work like a normal person. Last night I did some household chores before I realized I hadn't ate dinner.

You will feel a few days or weeks of regret. Some people do, probably most people. But believe me. It fades. I even told my Dr I regretted it. I was so unhappy. But then if got better.

Be honest with yourself. Accept it might suck for a little while. Have a good support team. You'll be just fine. Take care!

Edited by HopeandAgony

I am 5 weeks out and haven't had one single regret so far. It is awesome to no longer have to take medication for diabetes, fit into smaller clothes, and not be out of breath!

So, those who are on the other side,

I know something's got to give. I can't continue on slowly marching up the scale.

And I promise that you're not marching to a guillotine on the other side of the OR door.

People have had jitters before you and people will have jitters after you. This is your turn and nothing more.

Keep yourself busy for the coming week. On the morning of surgery, change the sheets and towels as a last bit of busy work and so that you come home to a fresh, crisp bed if you want a nap.

I'm glad you posted this question. I am having my surgery 2 days before you and am also a teeny tiny bit jittery. I know it is the right decision for me and I have given it a lot of careful consideration, but it is an extreme measure. I know two people who have had the surgery and one is super excited for me and the other told me that I will wish I had done it sooner. I'm going to focus on their words of wisdom because they have been there, they know me and they are 3 and 5 years out and still thrilled with their choices. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think your feelings are normal and they mirror my own this close to our dates!

10 days out for me. I had similar thoughts prior to having the surgery. I know I need this tool to help me revise and develop good eating habits, lose weight, get healthy and be able to do things I'm limited to due to wait.

My experience has been very positive. The incisions are tiny and my pain was minimal. I was on painkillers for 3 days and Tylenol for 1.

It is wonderful to feel full after drinking such a small amount. Yes, some of the shakes are horrible. I've found mixing the powder with soy milk and letting it sit for a while really helps.

Nashua Nutritions sells samples of the majority of powders. I bought a bunch to try before buying a big container.

You're going to do just fine. Waiting is the worst.????

@@JengaBee

@@pink22

There will be moments that regret is a nagging feeling resting lightly on your shoulders. It will whisper gently in your ears and it will cloud your focus. It gets further and further away and it visits less and less the further post-op you are. But there will be times that you get so frustrated with the program, with the discomfort, with the "restrictions" that you'll say to yourself, "why did I have this surgery? why did I not have better control of my food habits? how did I let myself get too fat I needed such an extreme measure to get healthy? why is this so hard?"

And you'll probably cry (or feel like it) in those moments and you'll have to snap back into reality, work hard to get over the immediate feelings of "oh woe is me" and stick to staying positive. This is not an easy journey but it is well worth the challenges ahead.

Thanks Ashlegal, it is good to know these sorts of thought are universal.

Thanks guys! It's coming in waves, but the pre-op diet is getting easier by the day which makes me feel empowered and capable.

I'm sure come the 18th I'll be full of doubt, but I'll be strong!

I'm 5 months out the first two months were some of yhe wor see of my life had no energy couldn't get my potassium to stay had to have a second surgery for a hernia I had lots of regrets. That being said I would go threw all of that again to be 82 lbs lighter off all meds have lots of energy. And all the little non scale victories my cat can lay on my lap I have one,I can sit in a booth at a restaurant, I can get in our pickup with out a footstool. It goes on and on. Loving my new life.