Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had surgery yesterday morning, has slight pain when I woke up but last night and today it got way worse.

How long did everyone else's pain last?

When I first came out of surgery I was in a LOT of pain from the gas. Once I got to my room and was hooked up to my pain pump I was fine, I pressed that thing every 10 minutes. I did have a lot of pain when I tried to sit up and get out of bed but it was minimal for the most part. The gas was the worst.

I was fortunate not to ever have a LOT of pain. The drugs in the hospital after surgery were awesome lol. I was up walking around that evening. The only time I had pain to speak of was when I first tried to lay down flat. That was a pain straight from Satan himself.

It varies person to person. I didn't really have any. I was sore when I woke up but I never really had any pain.

Right after surgery, If I didn't move, I was ok. The drugs the hospital gave me was very helpful

- dilaudid

- medicine for nausia

About 12 hours after surgery , I felt waves of just right below my sternum. Like labor pain, lol. If I kept up w pain med it would be tolerable. When I'd have a " contraction" , the doctor just told me to heavy breathe thru it.

Also You may experience some pain from the gas they use during the surgery. That stuff is a pain in the bootie. Walking helps get it out of your system faster. Walk as much as you can. When you get out of the hospital, a heating pad on you back or ice pack on your stomach can help too.

Also when you drink liquids, take it slow. Small sips and space it out between sips.

I felt great coming out and walked almost immediately. However my doc only gave Toradol and I went without for almost 9 hrs. I cried like a baby, the gas pains were comparible to child birth. Only one serious episode though. Now just completely distended on post op day 4. Very little pain though. I would say walk and sit up right, and use your incentive spirometer... But I did that above and beyond and it didn't help. The good thing is it will pass. Hang in there.

I was fortunate not to ever have a LOT of pain. The drugs in the hospital after surgery were awesome lol. I was up walking around that evening. The only time I had pain to speak of was when I first tried to lay down flat. That was a pain straight from Satan himself.

I agree with you on the laying flat part. I didn't have any gas pain at all and was up and walking the hospital floor about 3 hours after my operation. My issue that I have now is if I walk around alot my right side kills me. I went to the mall today after lunch to pick up a gift and of course ended up parking on the opposite side of the mall from the store I wanted to go to - thought I would DIE before I got my errand ran and got back to my car. I ended up stopping at nearly every bench along the way to rest a couple of minutes. I got home and curled up under my electric blanket for about 20 minutes and felt way better.

I have also noticed that my back hurts alot and I think it is because I am not standing up straight. Anyone noticing this???

Right after surgery, If I didn't move, I was ok. The drugs the hospital gave me was very helpful

- dilaudid

- medicine for nausia

About 12 hours after surgery , I felt waves of just right below my sternum. Like labor pain, lol. If I kept up w pain med it would be tolerable. When I'd have a " contraction" , the doctor just told me to heavy breathe thru it.

Also You may experience some pain from the gas they use during the surgery. That stuff is a pain in the bootie. Walking helps get it out of your system faster. Walk as much as you can. When you get out of the hospital, a heating pad on you back or ice pack on your stomach can help too.

Also when you drink liquids, take it slow. Small sips and space it out between sips.

oh my gosh yes, small sips!! I forgot a little bit ago and gulped down my Protein drink!! I am still waiting on that to bite me!