Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting to be impossible to lose!

Here's my weight loss summary:

I started at 235 pounds, lost 20 pounds pre-op, then in 8 months post-op lost 60 pounds, and by 14 months post-op had lost 12 more pounds for a total of 97 pounds lost so far.

FYI, I'm 70 years old, much more physically active now, but am certainly not a gym rat.

How much is average to lose in you first three weeks after surgery? Please help I had problems with the shakes

Everyone varies because none of us are "average".

Just focus on following your program. Get in all of your Protein and fluids, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed, and exercise.

As to "having problems with shakes" you have to get in your Protein. You don't have to use shakes but you have to find something that works. Talk to your NUT if you need help.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I also got stuck too.. (and not for the first time) and decided to get back to basics which is what everyone always recommends. I made a list of meal ideas for each day.. Example: Breakfast- Protein Shake, smoothie, egg and cottage cheese, egg and turkey bacon, string cheese and almonds.. I did this for each meal and for snack ideas and then posted it on my fridge. Now every single time I want to eat, I look at the list first and choose a healthy idea. This has helped me get unstuck and loose 4 pounds since Thanksgiving. I'm going to keep it up... might work for you too?

I am curious as to the ages of the women posting here about being slow losers. I am 57, post menopausal, and am also a very slow loser. I eat what I'm supposed to religiously (have not had a bite of bread, Pasta, or sweets since my surgery one year ago) and exercise a lot, including cardio and weight lifting at least four days per week. I have lost only 9 pounds in the last three months. While I do find it frustrating, I have kind of accepted it as the way it is going to be for me. I do think it has to do with my age though. Any thoughts?

Momcat, I am pre surgery... 44 and post menopausal... Are you saying the surgery isn't worth it? I've read so many success stories... Pretty sure one about a 65 yr old man, but you're right... Any older, post menopausal post surgery women out there???

I'm 48, forced menopausal due to a full hysterectomy, and it took me a year to lose 85 pounds and get to goal. Since then, I have lost 7 more in 4 months.

Fairly slow, but I got there. I did start at a relatively lower weight (235) than most, and that sometimes can make a difference, too. Weight loss also slows the closer to goal you get.

Of course it was worth it! Just because it took me a little longer, doesn't mean it wasn't worth it. My health is better, I look better and feel better. I wouldn't trade that even if it took me TWO years to get there!

I really wish people would stop obsessing about how long it takes to get there and worry more about learning proper nutrition and excersise to maximize health and weight loss so then they can ultimately KEEP the weight off.

I'm 52, post-menopausal and have been a fairly slow loser throughout, even at the beginning. I don't think I've ever lost more than 2.5 lbs per week, and often it's 0 to 1 lb per week. But after a year, the weight-lose has marched on and I'm almost at goal. So glad I took this step toward a better, healthier future, so worth it :) My best to you in your weight lose journey

I am in no way saying the surgery is not worth it!! In fact, it's the best thing I've ever done for myself, and wish I had done it sooner. I'm just a little frustrated with how my weight loss is going so slow right now. But honestly, I wouldn't have been able to lose the weight I did without this surgery, and I am hoping it prolongs my life, along with the quality of life.

I don't know that I am a slow loser I am down about 53lbs so far 5 1/2 months. I am almost 42 and no menopause yet. I do know I lost faster with my lap band when I was 33 but I also didn't have kids then and was able to work out more and eat better (3 year old and 5 year old around) so I don't know if is my age or lifestyle or both :)

Is 53lbs in 5 1/2 months slow? I think it is more like there are average losers and then there are some that are REALLY FAST LOSERS. I think that 85lbs in a year for Babbs is more like the average but it is hard not to compare ourselves when we see all these amazing losers reporting huge losses. For me I am thrilled to be more comfortable in my body and more active. If I could lose another 32lbs and be down 85lbs by my one year mark in 6 1/2 months I would be very pleased.

I'm 43 and had a partial hysterectomy (still have ovaries) about a year and a half ago.

I am 49 yrs old.. Had my surgery in March.. Started at 254.1 and now I am at 155.0.

I am at a big stall as well. I have only lost 3 pounds over the last 3 months. I work out 5 days a week with 1 1/2 hours of

Cardio/weights. My doctor says that I am actually working out too much and too long, that my body isn't taking in the calories to support my workout. My body is probably in starvation mode and that's why I am at a stall. Very discouraging.

Dealing now with the sagging skin and Hair loss. :(

Lisa24 - We had our surgery around the same time (mine was 3/24). I find it interesting that intense workouts could be causing your stall. I just started Orange Theory and have to force myself to eat some carbs before my workouts (my blood sugar will drop if I don't) and then find it hard to eat for awhile after I work out. I was bummed that the scale was't after very intense HIIT workouts but it might be what you mentioned as my body going into starvation mode. Who knew eating less and working out would be such a balance.

I stalled for about month.then I just started losing again and I did gain when I looked at the pumpkin pie and I ate one piece of Peanut Butter fudge and that was a big mistake . Wow the sugar and dumping syndrome. That won't happen again plus it just didn't taste as good as I thought it would . I will stick to cottage cheese lol