Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I try to take my time....15 mins or more.

Occasionally, I'll forget and jump on it too fast. I get a nice reminder when I do that.....and it lasts for a long and uncomfortable time. One would think I'd quit forgetting.

I love my sleeve and what it's done for me in this short time. Very easy to live with. Zero complaints from me.

How long does it take to eat?...it's much for me like "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop"? It takes a lot less time than it should for me.

It really depends on the food. It takes me normally about 15 minutes, but there are times it take about 5 and others it take 25. My doctor says, to spend 15-20 minutes completing a meal...but sometimes...I just mess up :)

I saw my NUT for the first time since my surgery on October 15. She said to take at least 20 min. At times I forget and I pay the price. I've always been a fast eater and to slow down is hard for me. Saw my dr today and she's pleased with the 21 pound loss and told me to weigh once a week and to stop worrying about others losing faster than I am.

I guess it depends on the meal you are eating too. Some foods need longer chewing time however I usually take 15 to 25 minutes.

A very long time. Not less than 20 minutes, 40 is better. I don't dine out much anymore because it's not as much fun.

Edited by muzical1

I puréed some chili and ate 2 oz. it took me a while. like 40 mins. I was really just licking the spoon. it wasn't good at all and maybe that's why too lol.

thanks everyone for your comments!!

This has been my biggest struggle since surgery. I try to take little bites and eat slowly. After a lifetime of shoveling it in like Garfield eating lasagna, it's a very hard habit for me to change. I work on it though. I haven't made it 15 mins yet, but I'm getting there.

The instant correction I get from my tummy when I gulped too fast is a great motivator and feedback device. It will bring you to your knees if you aren't careful.

I'm really struggling with adapting to portion sizes and eating speed. I'm a teacher and part of the culture is eating when you can super quickly. Tonight I had like half a chicken breast (if that) and then three teaspoons of rice and I'm dying. Any tips?

Dying as in hungry or pain wise from eating too fast? Eat small bites and chew, chew, chew. I had surgery Oct 15 and was just cleared yesterday to eat rice and to get careful with it as it can clump and get stuck. When I've eaten too fast and get food stuck, I have to make myself throw up in order to get it unstuck. Take cheese and crackers to work for a quick simple lunch. That's what I do and it seems to work or maybe yogurt or cottage cheese. Hope this helps.

Dying as in uncomfortable, but like you I've vomited (only twice) when I've eaten too fast. But both times have been with chicken. Maybe it's another of my 'stolen foods'. Since my sleeve a few of my used-to-be fave foods are now nauseating or I can't keep down... No more coffee (GASP!!) or creamy things, so maybe chicken is another one!

Thanks for replying :)

I run a home daycare and can not take more than 10 mins to eat, so I normally have some sliced lunch meat with cheese roll it up and chew, chew and chew more. For my dinners when I eat I take about 15 mins but it is hard because my lunch is so rushed. I have gotten sick in the beginning, maybe twice. When food gets stuck, my doctor suggest taking a drink of a carbonated drink. Sounds weird, but it works. My doctor also said two foods to stay away from is rice(because it clumps up) and celery(because our tiny bellies can't break it down). So you might want to steer clear of rice if it is causing you problems.

Some days I eat way too fast and my body says "NO, don't do that." and it hurts... badly... so I try to eat and read a book, put the fork or spoon down, read a few pages, take another bite... THAT helps me to eat a whole lot slower.

Dying as in uncomfortable, but like you I've vomited (only twice) when I've eaten too fast. But both times have been with chicken. Maybe it's another of my 'stolen foods'. Since my sleeve a few of my used-to-be fave foods are now nauseating or I can't keep down... No more coffee (GASP!!) or creamy things, so maybe chicken is another one!

Thanks for replying :)

You are probably eating way too fast. I eat quite a bit of chicken, cut into very small pieces, and I eat them very slowly... The faster you eat, the quicker your pouch fills up, the more uncomfortable you become. Try putting the plate and fork or spoon down when you eat and not eating in front of the television. Or set a timer. My NUT said a meal should take 30 minutes. Most days I average between 20-30 minutes to eat but it's because I consciously do so.