Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden Dizziness and Weakness with no Warning

I was sleeved three weeks ago. I am allowed wet foods, but only three times a day. Whenever I exert myself, for instance, going grocery shopping, I become suddenly very weak and feel like I'm going to fall over. Does this happen to you? Is it blood sugar? How do you prevent this?

I am no expert nor an I a medically trained but I would expect you to be weak only having 3 meals a day at your stage (do you supplement that with any Protein drinks?) I stayed in for the first few weeks and rested and I felt weak even doing that! You have been through a massive surgery so be kind to yourself and don't overdo it.

Are you logging all your meals and working out the protein/calories etc etc

Are you drinking enough? Being dehydrated can cause dizziness.

Contact your team or GP to be sure!

Congratulations :)

Does this happen more frequently when you stand up? It might be orthostatic hypotension. Try pumping your legs like you are riding a bike for a few minutes before standing up. Are you on blood pressure meds? You may want to talk to your health care provider about adjusting them if so.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/orthostatic-hypotension/basics/definition/con-20031255

PS many people end up with hypotension right after weight loss surgery, especially if they are on meds to lower their blood pressure.

Thank you for responding. No it's not specific to standing up. I think I just use up all my fuel and when I hit empty it's too late. I feel I should be eating more often, if I want to function. Protein Shakes are not my friend. My sleeve doesn't tolerate them.

As soon as I started eating more Protein and getting off the Protein Shakes I felt much better. I am

6 weeks out. I have however been drinking protein2o it's a protein Water drink with 15g protein. I did not tolerate protein shakes at all and was feeling nauseated and dizzy a lot. Sometimes if I haven't met my protein goal I will eat a snack like cottage cheese.< /p>

Hi! You are not alone.

If you are on medication, everything changes after the surgery. I don't need my high BB or diabetes medication anymore. So check you BB, blood sugar, get your 60 g of Protein, and it's absolutely critical to get your fluids in.

My surgeon said dehydration, blood pressure, and low blood sugar (in that order, are one of the top causes of dizziness.

Good luck

That happened to me. It took me about 3 months to get over it. Be sure you are taking your Vitamins and getting enough Protein. A WLS surgeon explained it as our "center of gravity" changes and it takes a while for our body to figure out what that new center is. It will get better. In the mean time, walk close to the wall when possible. Practice balancing on one foot. At first I could only do that for 2 or 3 seconds. Eventually I got up to a minute for each leg.

Edited by cindi gant