Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s the ONE thing you wished you knew before getting sleeved ?

What’s the ONE thing you wished you knew before getting sleeved ? And how are you dealing with it....

Don't go crazy buying clothes. Wear old ones as long as possible. What you do buy, get it a little snug.

The surgery wasn't anywhere nearly as awful as I thought it would be. I expected to be laid up for weeks and dependent on other people. I'm going to pick up my bike at the shop tomorrow - 8 days out!

Yay!!!good for you!

1: Pay attention to the limited carbs rule. I don't think this was stressed enough before surgery. I don't mean in the liquid/mushee stages, but after that.

2: Remember this is a marathon, you may feel it is a sprint in the first few months, but it is important to pace yourself and keep your eyes up on the long term prize rather than down on the scale.

3: Hair loss will happen for most. Be prepared and don't panic!

4: Stalls are part of the process. As others have said, embraces them and focus on how you look rather than the numbers.

5: listen to your body. Everyone is different. Turns out it is possible to get too much Protein (at least for me). Some people can do 100g/day. Anything over 80 for me and my kidneys get unhappy.

What’s the ONE thing you wished you knew before getting sleeved ? And how are you dealing with it....

How absolutely easy this was going to be......I wished I'd done this years ago.

Seriously.

I have zero complaints about anything related to the sleeve surgery.......liquid diet and all. Everything has been straightforward and within my ability to handle.

I don't understand all the complaints from folks who've not had complications. Too much whining.

I'm really enjoying the reduction in joint & back pain that I'd been dealing with last year. That persistent pain had limited my mobility a great deal. It had even begun to make me a grumpy bastard for sure.

I've lost more than just weight. A lot of pain has gone with it. A lot of medication has, too.

The more unpleasant part of the surgery is simply the wait time for the surgery itself. The recovery and the new way of eating is simple and easy.

I"m 7 weeks out and am laughing at the clothing situation already. I've dropped a couple "xx"'s from the shirt size and several sizes smaller in the waist on pants.

I feel like I really haven't even gotten started good, yet. The best losing and rebuilding is ahead. I have lost some muscle along with the fat. I'm learning how critical it is to take in my Protein like I'm supposed to. I'm guessing that I'll be reliant on Protein shakes for a long time.....one a day.

Looking forward to the hernia repair fully healing so I can start a structured weight training program.

Was going to book a vacation in March/April........but I think that I"m going to punt it back until May/June. Shirtless at a beach-pool will be a heap more fun if I can get a few months of good gym work in.

I wish I understood the depth of life change this has been. Probably would have still done it, but it's taking a while to realize food will never have the same meaning again.

The biggest part of this whole thing is MENTAL. There are so many mental challenges you'll deal with post op - and surgery will not fix mental.

I knew these things before surgery, but I didn't KNOW them.

sit up very straight or stand up when sipping liquids it helps to reduce burps!

To eat slow...I still sometimes eat to fast and get over full and uncomfortable if I'm not careful.

1: Pay attention to the limited carbs rule. I don't think this was stressed enough before surgery. I don't mean in the liquid/mushee stages, but after that.

2: Remember this is a marathon, you may feel it is a sprint in the first few months, but it is important to pace yourself and keep your eyes up on the long term prize rather than down on the scale.

3: hair loss will happen for most. Be prepared and don't panic!

4: Stalls are part of the process. As others have said, embraces them and focus on how you look rather than the numbers.

5: listen to your body. Everyone is different. Turns out it is possible to get too much Protein (at least for me). Some people can do 100g/day. Anything over 80 for me and my kidneys get unhappy.

I was sleeved in December 2015 and MzB nailed it. Especially about the Hair loss. :(

I am preop, but I hope my future answer is nothing. I have worked SO hard for 6 months (non my own) deciding if I wanted this surgery and doing research...before I ever set foot in an orientation. Scientific journals abt bougie size, results complications and regain....vlogs and blogs and forums seeing the range of woe is me to I feel f*cking fantastic!, printing out nutrition info from many diff weight loss centers to see the pattterns, Dr. Weiner entire vlog series and on and on. I also worked with my pcp to get to the bottom medically of all things in this body...really wanting to get how this body ticks. When I got to meetings with the team, I got fast tracked because I proved how mentally and lifestyle changed I already was. I have a binder with pages called dealing with constipation", "best products worth buying", "hair loss", "marriage" and so on. One big thing I keep preaching to other pre op folks about is get a therapist. You will read again and again. That successful sleevers changed their relationship with food. This takes work with a professional to identify what your unique issues are. They don't go away. And many regained show in their posts that 6mo to 18 months, when you can eat Cup to cup and half of food, all those habits come back. They work around their sleeve to still emo ti on ally eat, stress eat, feed their sugar addiction, etc. I have also had other surgeries so already have first hand info abt recovery that I will be able to separate out from sleeve. I didn't have hunger for three days after each of my surgeries (not wl surgery) Your body shuts that **** down to heal and you just focus on not dehydrating.

Like childbirth, I know there is only so much you can fully prepare from info and anecdotes, but, I truly believe I am as prepared as I can possibly be and that makes all the professionals around me reinforcing how successful I really am gonna be long term based on their years of experience. The other thing is everyone is different, what is the end if the world for one person. Might be happening to someone else and they're fine. Some have complications some don't

Nausea and vomitting...you never get the whole story on forums...which is why often you'll see replies that are lists of questions..did their surg not give them anti nausea meds? Is it remperature? Is it still not the right size sip or bite? We dont know. My NUT swears that the 'I can't get Water in'is BS. She told me to drink 1 to 2 oz every 15 min. That's my job the first two weeks. It's my life saving medicine. Just do it. So that is one I'll have to see on the other side. But going in. I have both expectations to help me cope...if I get it all in and it's work, my NUT prepped me for that. If no matter how hard I try I can maybe get half? Well ....many posters have prepped me to normalize that and just keep trying.

I am not looking forward to and most worried abt the flooding of estrogen from my fat cells on mood and my cycle.

Good luck in your pre op journey. Get out there and explore it all! There are even vegan sleevers out there. You can learn a lot about veggies from them!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Muted_Tummy

I wish I had really knew just how much the hormone dump was going to resemble adolescence (albeit in my 50's I could handle with more style). It created some interesting situations but also gave me tremendous energy and drive in the gym and bedroom, but would also get me watching chick flicks too. Once I saw some of the threads on this phenomenon it helped me handle it better