Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got mine done on Thanksgiving. I used Dr. Ramos Kelly and surgery plus 2 days of hotel expenses cost $4800. It is more for very high BMI patients ($500 more IIRC). I read all the gastric sleeve boards on the Internet before deciding on him. I read so many amazing things from people who got their sleeve done in TJ. I am so glad I didn't have complications. So glad. But having mine done in a clinic (which most do to keep costs down), well, the nurses spoke hardly any English, and if I had an emergency, I am not confident about what the outcome would have been. It is major surgery! Knowing now what I do, I would have saved my money and had it done in the States. Once I was actually in Mexico I realized what a gamble with my health I took.

That's my two cents, since it seems like there aren't a lot of people who express these concerns. If I had a friend deciding to get the surgery done in Mexico, I would recommend at least doing it at Hospital Angeles (which Dr. Kelly does do surgeries there for about $7400).

Thank you so much for your reply. This is where I am stuck/ do I stay close to home and pay double or go to another country and risk death- I know there are risks in the US also too though

I traveled to Tijuana and used Dr Jesus Martin Lopez. I don't regret going for one second. It was a great experience and the doctor and staff were great. I was sleeves on June 15, 2015. I have had no complications.

America is not the only country in the world that has quality health care and good doctors.

My wife and I are in Tijuana as we speak. She just had her sleeve surgery with Dr. Altamirano TODAY and she is doing great!!!

I can't speak highly enough of Dr. A and the entire staff (Little Robert, Rosa, Eduardo, Morgan, etc.). I know I am forgetting others, but this place is superb. Everyone has been great. Very friendly, but also very professional.

We are in a new hospital room with all of the necessary medical amenities along with an extra bed for family, bathroom/ shower, phone, tv, reclining chair, etc. You can also make calls back to US for free if you need to contact family and friends.

No regrets so far and I don't anticipate any either.

Edited by Fatty McFatster

How can I contact his office? How long did she prepare to have the surgery? I am hoping to have it by April!

You can contact Dr. A, Ana, David, or Henry on here. They are all associated with BariatricPal.

She had been planning to have the surgery since the summer, but found out insurance wouldn't cover it. From that point things moved pretty quickly as it has been about 6 weeks since first contact with Dr. A and the BariatricPal MX team.

Do mind me asking cash pay price? My health insurance does not cover anything related to weight loss.

No problem at all. We paid $4,000 which includes 2 nights in the hospital and then 2 nights in the BariatricPal recovery house. We flew here yesterday and they let us stay in the recovery house for free.

It really has been a great experience. They are even taking great care of me. Little Robert has gone out to get me an omelet and Gatorade for Breakfast and a salad and bottled Water for dinner.

Going to Mexico seems to be my only alternative right now. I have a low BMI for surgery and no health problems as of yet. I am also looking into using Dr. Ortiz but I have many questions before I make up my mind. Also I need to wait for tax money to afford it.

My wife and I are in Tijuana as we speak. She just had her sleeve surgery with Dr. Altamirano TODAY and she is doing great!!!

I can't speak highly enough of Dr. A and the entire staff (Little Robert, Rosa, Eduardo, Morgan, etc.). I know I am forgetting others, but this place is superb. Everyone has been great. Very friendly, but also very professional.

We are in a new hospital room with all of the necessary medical amenities along with an extra bed for family, bathroom/ shower, phone, tv, reclining chair, etc. You can also make calls back to US for free if you need to contact family and friends.

My sleeve is also with Dr A on Jan 27, your comment put me at ease. Thank you

I am having my Sleeve done in Tijuana at Hospital Angeles on January 22...less then a week now!

I went through Belightweight and they made it very easy. They have a tour of the hospital on their website and all of the people at Belightweight have had weight loss surgery themselves and so can honestly tell you what to expect. I am not at all worried about going to Mexico and would never have been able to have it done at the prices in U.S.

My sleeve is also with Dr A on Jan 27, your comment put me at ease. Thank you
I am glad I could help. Dr A. was phenomenal during the entire process through surgery and easy to reach and communicate with before surgery. HOWEVER, we have noticed he is much more difficult to get in contact with AFTER you make payment and have had your surgery.

We've been trying for over a month to get pictures he took of my wife while she was having surgery. Dr. A hasn't come through at all so we reached out to Ana, but haven't heard back from her in 2 weeks either. So we contacted David and he replied back within 1 hour to let us know he was sorry this has happened and he will try his best to get us those pictures.

So to reiterate, they did an absolutely awesome job before, during, and immediately after surgery and would give them an A++++ grade. But once we went home in regards to after care and communication we feel a little letdown. But thankfully this website has more than enough info and support to keep us on track.

So don't hesitate to go with Dr. A as he did a great job and then keep coming back to BariatricPal for the much needed support and info you need. Good luck!!

Do mind me asking cash pay price? My health insurance does not cover anything related to weight loss.

Mine was $4,500, including a night at the Grand Hotel and 2 recovery night stays. I also paid $800 to have my gallbladder removed at the same time.

I had to pay for 2 first class flights at around $1400 total and then brought $1,000 in spending money just in case. Altogether it was around $8,000, which is far cheaper than the $18,000 it would have cost if I paid for the surgery out of pocket in my state.

I had dr. verboonen at Obesity Goodbye in Tijuana.