Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is Your "Go-To" Protein Shake Recipe?

So at a bit over 2 years post op, I still like to use a Protein shake as a meal replacement/protein boost maybe not "every" day, but a few times a week. I am SOOOO tired of just chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc. So I searched on pinterest for Protein Shake recipes to see what kind of fun "on program" types of foods I could add to the shakes to flavor them differently. I found several I am excited to try.

But, I want to hear from you all. What Protein Shake recipes or "add-ons" have you tried that you really liked?

One of my favorites is to mix some sugar-free orange drink mix and some sugar-free pineapple drink mix to taste, add one serving of vanilla powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury to make a orange pineapple dreamsicle type shake.

I also keep sugar-free black cherry flavored Torani Syrup and will add a pump or two to a vanilla (or unflavored) shake made with skim milk.

Another regular is 4 oz. brewed coffee, chilled or room temp, 8 oz. skim milk, 1 serving Unjury split between the vanilla and chocolate, depending on how chocolatey you want your mocha shake.

I also love the Unjury chicken flavored Protein powder - be careful to keep the Water no hotter than 140 deg. or the Protein will clump (looks and feels weird, but doesn't change the taste. I use a little more than 8 oz. of Water and do add a pinch of chicken bouillon. Make for a tasty lunch at work. It's a life saver when I get tired of drinking sweet shakes and eating sweet Protein Bars.

Every morning I have a Protein coffee Latte!

1 cup Fairlife Skim Milk

1-2 packets instant Starbucks coffee (or instant coffee of choice)

1/2 C room temp Water

1 scoop Protein Powder of choice

My aborted are pumpkin spice (GNC), Cookies and Cream (muscle Milk) or Vanilla (muscle milk)

Warm the milk in microwave 60 seconds (I do 30 seconds because I do iced coffee)

Mix in instant coffee--

In a separate container mix Protein Powder with 1/2 cup Water until smooth- (lumps) pour a little of the warm coffee in to bring up the temp of Protein powder-

Than pour protein mix slowly in to coffee while storing to preset any clumps of protein.

Serve hot or pour over ice!

This is my favorite protein shake recipe book! That is where the protein coffee came from!

She also has a blog with free recipes! The post-249589-14495199827602_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Bariatric-Foodie-Perfect-Protein-Shakes/dp/1480101095

Do you like Iced coffee? I take one Vanilla Premier Protein shake. Add in 1 teaspoon of Decaf Instant coffee Crystals and 1 Truvia. Iced Coffee! YUMMY! Blend it with ice and you have a Frappe. :)

I'm 2+ years out and still do at least one supplement per day.

Scoop of vanilla whey in hot coffee with a dash of cinnamon

Instant coffee, milk, ice and chocolate or vanilla whey

Instant tea, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, milk, ice and vanilla whey for a frozen chai latte

Other than that, I use fairlife milk with double Protein, or somethime Quest or PowerCrunch bars

What a fun topic... so here are the ones I have been mixing lately. And I am tired of the same old same old too.

Favorite with premade Protein shakes.

1) pure Protein chocolate with PB2!!! Love Peanut Butter and chocolate.

2) pure protein vanilla cream with sugar free Salted Carmel Torani sauce (two pumps)

3). I freeze banana and then when they thaw out they are almost liquid. So take a banana, PB2 and pure protein chocolate shake in my hand mixer.

4) pure protein vanilla and sugar free raspberry Torani sauce

5) just found pure protein Cookies and cream. This one is fun over crushed ice.

With powder

1) ice, milk, Quest chocolate and PB 2 (do you see my theme)

2) ice, milk, Quest chocolate and sugar free peppermint Torani

3) milk, fit frappe chai (and I do this one hot according to how Bariatric foodie does hot protein drinks)

4) quest banana powder, Water, pure cocoa powder and a sweetener (like splenda or stevia)

For the holidays pumpkin spice.

Vanilla Protein powder. spoon of pureed pumpkin. pumpkin pie spice,,,Ice and milk

I use a frozen smoothie mix in a bag (there are several variations with a combination of fruit and veggies, and they are about 60-80 cal per servings -- I'm sure they have similar options in every region); low fat yogurt (also low in cals); and a Protein powder. I use low carb protein powders like I did pre-op, so it helps keeps the carbs and calories low as well. I mix it in a blender, and it's a meal replacement; usually Breakfast or lunch. It's very filling, and quite tasty! I like to play around with the flavors so it doesn't get boring. Use your preferred yogurt, smoothie mix, and protein powder.

I am 14 months post op and still have my coffee shake as a mid morning snack. If you like coffee check out Chike Nutrition High Protein Iced coffee. https://chikenutrition.com/ I order it from Amazon. A bit expensive but a treat I look forward to each day.