Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone done this without any family, etc. at the hospital?

Let me know how you do, I'll be in the same position as you. I'll be driving myself to the hospital for surgery and then I will have two people to come to the hospital once I'm ready to be discharged, One is bringing the other one so she can drive me and my car back home, three hours away. I'm scared too but I'll get through it and so will you!

I sure will! The hospital is about 45-50 mins away from where I live. I can't imagine having to drive three hrs! Best wishes to you with the surgery. Keep me posted.

FYI you should be able to get your prescriptions filled before your surgery so you don't need to stop at a pharmacy. Just make sure you get that squared away with your surgeon's office in advance.

That would be great. Thanks!

I am going alone. My surgeons office is 3 hours away and across the street from the hospital. I will travel over on Wednesday, have my pre-op appointment then have surgery the next day. I'm enjoying the idea of a day without kiddos or my husband. Then I will stay over night at the hospital after surgery and come home on Saturday. I'm staying with my boss who lives in the same city then he is bringing me back home. I'm glad I read this .. I will make sure I ask for my scripts from my surgeon during my pre-op so I don't have to make stops on my way home

I am, tomorrow. DH passed out when I was explaining the procedure to him at home. He's passed out before while visiting people in the hospital. He just doesn't do well with medical stuff. There's no need for him to be there so I told him to stay home unless he really wants to come visit after I'm back in my room.

The program I'm going with is really awesome. At the final preop class, they have everyone say their surgery date so you can meet everyone having surgery the same day as you. Then I met another at support group. So now I know 4 or 5 people going through it at the same time as I am, so I'm sure we'll be roaming around together when we go for our walks.

You can do it. It will totally be fine. You're strong enough to make it this far. You can handle this.

Hey...just checking on you since your surgery was today. Hope all is well.

Thanks for checking in. Everything went well. I had trouble staying awake after surgery so I was in recovery longer, but it went smoothly.

Lots of liquids and walking. Now some more sleep.

This is my plan. I'm on my third of six months of pre-op visits. I'm hoping to take an uber home from the hospital too!

I am, tomorrow. DH passed out when I was explaining the procedure to him at home. He's passed out before while visiting people in the hospital. He just doesn't do well with medical stuff. There's no need for him to be there so I told him to stay home unless he really wants to come visit after I'm back in my room.

The program I'm going with is really awesome. At the final preop class, they have everyone say their surgery date so you can meet everyone having surgery the same day as you. Then I met another at support group. So now I know 4 or 5 people going through it at the same time as I am, so I'm sure we'll be roaming around together when we go for our walks.

You can do it. It will totally be fine. You're strong enough to make it this far. You can handle this.

Hey...just checking on you since your surgery was today. Hope all is well.
Thanks for checking in. Everything went well. I had trouble staying awake after surgery so I was in recovery longer, but it went smoothly.

Lots of liquids and walking. Now some more sleep.

So glad to hear it went well....congratulations!!! Happy for you!

I'm doing this alone too! I'm struggling to find someone who can give me a ride home :(

Just a thought....check with your hospital, they may have a car service or medical coach/van service they can arrange for your ride home. Best wishes to you.

Just let them know you're not having anyone accompany you. You're not the first person. Make sure everything is labeled and they'll have a safe place for it.

I totally understand the desire to have someone there with you. Don't worry - the hospitals will take good care of you. Leave your jewelry and anything expensive at home and they should be able to secure the rest of your stuff.

Good luck both of you on your surgeries! :) I'm a praying woman so I'll say a prayer for you both!

Update: I was told that they will lock my items in a locker and security will bring them to me when I get to my room.

Just let them know you're not having anyone accompany you. You're not the first person. Make sure everything is labeled and they'll have a safe place for it.

I totally understand the desire to have someone there with you. Don't worry - the hospitals will take good care of you. Leave your jewelry and anything expensive at home and they should be able to secure the rest of your stuff.

Good luck both of you on your surgeries! :) I'm a praying woman so I'll say a prayer for you both!

Update: I was told that they will lock my items in a locker and security will bring them to me when I get to my room.

That's awesome!!! :)

My neighbors dropped me off and picked me up. I had my sleeve done in a Surgical Center. I was supposed to go home the next morning but my blood pressure spiked and the Dr didn't like that I had no one at home and I have sleep apnea so he kept me there for another night. I didn't need anyone there. It would have been awkward. I felt really good once home. Walking was no trouble. I just felt like I had done 100 situps when I had to get up from my recliner. I slept in it for 2 nights. In the guest room for 2 because the bed is lower and them back to my tall bed that I have a step to get into on the 5th night after surgery. I probably could have gone to my bed sooner but I was being cautious. Two years ago I had a hip replacement and 18 months ago a knee replacement and no one was with me there either.

I didn't have a choice...... wanted to do it alone, but they wouldn't let me. Not sure if it was a hospital policy or a surgeon's policy, but I had to have someone to drive me home.

I didn't have a choice...... wanted to do it alone, but they wouldn't let me. Not sure if it was a hospital policy or a surgeon's policy, but I had to have someone to drive me home.

I confirmed that I don't have to have anyone there, but definitely must have someone to drive me home. I have a small "circle" but they have work obligations and I totally understand.

Well, I'm happy to report that my surgery went well on Friday. I stayed in the hospital two nights, was discharged about 9 am today. I'm so nauseated and I threw up some blood. My pain level is still around an 8, but I just took some meds. I wish I could have been like some of you and have no pain on third day. I'm getting in a couple laps in my house, but I'm so weak. I pray the pain subsides in a day or so. It hurts more on the right side.

Yay! Glad all went well. Having pain on your right side is supposed to be because that is where they extract the remnants is your old stomach. It's normal. I slept in the recliner for a couple of nights just so I wouldn't try to roll around in my sleep. After that the bed worked fine. My neck and shoulders hurt for a few days and I felt like I had done 100 sit-ups but after 4-5 days that was gone. I'm sorry you are weak and nauseous. Are you sipping tiny amounts? I had a prescription of dissolvable nausea medicine I took just in case and also Prilosec. He had me open the capsules and dump it in a little sip of Water to take. I hope you feel better really soon!!!

Edited by SassyNanny