Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I read something sobering today on the another bariatric website that this forum won't let me link to. These were a series of articles from a WLS doctor explaining various factors that cause unsuccessful outcomes in bariatric surgeries.

Studies show that the average ‘dieter’ is hoping to lose around 50% of their weight – the same is probably even more true for patients seeking surgery.

In reality, however, the ‘average’ medium-to-long-term weight loss with bariatric surgery is only a rather sobering 20-30% of initial weight.

Please reread this last sentence very carefully!

The term “average’, means that about half of all patients will actually lose LESS than 20-30% of their initial weight (the other half of course will lose more).

Imagine the disappointment of the ‘average’ 300 lb patient, who, after experiencing the ‘average’ success (25% weight loss), still weighs 225 lbs! Never mind that her health has dramatically improved, she is off all their medications, and she feels better and healthier than ever before – she is still 225 lbs! From a medical and health perspective a spectacular success story – psychologically nothing but disappointment and failure.

What do long-term WLS patients think about these statements? What's been your experience--both personal and that of others you know who have had WLS? I'm pre-pre-op (still waiting for my date). They're talking long-term weight loss (essentially maintenance). I know many do regain some of (and sometimes all) the weight, but I am determined not to be one of them--or at least catch myself in time to correct matters if I do start to creep up that slope.

The thought of spending all this money and losing overall less weight than I would with regular dieting is disheartening. If the statements are true, I might not make it below the 200 mark. Naturally, these statements worry me!

I have never seen any information about projected/expected weight loss for bariatric surgery that bases it on initial weight. All of the studies/data I have seen base it on excess weight.

I would recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon (who from your profile looks to be the same as mine). I am sure that he can give you some insight into the long term success rates for his patients.

What I've seen is that in general, bariatric surgery patients can expect to maintain a loss of 50-60% of their excess weight. But this number is an average across all patients, generally presented without any specificity about their overall adherence to diet and exercise programs post-surgery.

I've read and been told that with appropriate adherence to nutrition and exercise goals a 70%+ EWL is maintainable.

Edited by shriner37

Shriner37, we do indeed have the same surgeon! He and the entire outfit have been super informative. I mistook that 20-30% as percentage of beginning body weight and not excess weight lost. Huge difference!

Inner Surfer Girl, you have better reading comprehension than I do. I saw that 20-30% and thought they were talking about the weight lost (that 50-70% most procedures mention) and not the percentage of total weight. Knowing that alone eases my mind! Have I mentioned I don't math well?

@@songsmith We have the same surgeon. He didn't say anything to me about 20%-30%. Mine was 70%-80%...and more likely 100% if I was diligent and followed the rules.

Oh man, I wish I hadn't read this. I've lost almost exactly 25% since surgery and I've been stalled for weeks.... and I'm still 320 pounds. I don't really think I'm done losing but there's a tiny little part of me that's panicking. >.>

Are you sure you're not mixing up those statistics and read it backwards?

I've read a lot and it even says on my surgeons website, (Plus he mentioned it too) that depending on what surgery you get - if a patient isn't diligent and careful that they can gain back 10-20% ish after 3-5 years or so with gastric bypass, and 30-50% with sleeve.

Everyone will probably say some different numbers.

But this was gaining back %'s if you're not careful.

The success rate is up to 70- 100% (or more!) for weight loss in WLS patients. If you use this tool.

Just be one of those patients that hit the 100%+ and beat the odds of gaining that 20% back in the future!

I plan on being one of those patients! !!

I have lost 58% of my EWL. I am just under 6 months out and still losing. I think success rates depend upon each individual's willingness to change eating habits. You will be successful if you are of a mind to be.

All the stats I've seen and researched say expect to lose 60% of excess body weight. I've seen hundreds of people since my surgery lose closer to 80-100% of their excess body weight.

Yes, the chance of regain is there long term. But you sure as hell have a better chance keeping it off with the surgery than without! I know the stats back that up, too.

@@Cervidae I think @@Inner Surfer Girl was right. The article talked about total weight (e.g,. I began at 265) not excess weight (which for me is 100 pounds or so). 25-30% of 265 is a far higher number than 25% of 100! As I said, I don't math well, but pretty sure that would put the amount on the low to middle end of the projected excess weight loss.

At 6 mos. out, there is no way you could have stopped losing! I have not yet had my surgery, but I (and probably you) have lost a lot of weight before and once experienced a 6 week stall. Sometimes it takes awhile for our bodies to catch up. Please, please don't fret. Keep following your guidelines and your body will catch up eventually.

@@heather5565, I directly quoted the article. It sounded odd to me because I had been told the 50-70% (and even more!) numbers. I'm also aware that people on average will gain some weight back after two to three years. The trick is to not allow that weight gain to be the excuse to return to bad habits. In fact that was in a series of articles suggesting reasons why some do gain weight back. I don't think the doctor was doing anyone a service by expressing weight loss in terms of total weight instead of excess weight.

@Inner Surfer Gal - So right! None of us would be here if previous diets had long-term success rates. :)

@@Babbs, I have turned to the surgery for just that reason--a tool to help me maintain my weight loss.

The average IQ of all human beings is 100. That does not mean all human beings have an IQ of 100.

, I directly quoted the article. It sounded odd to me because I had been told the 50-70% (and even more!) numbers. I'm also aware that people on average will gain some weight back after two to three years. The trick is to not allow that weight gain to be the excuse to return to bad habits. In fact that was in a series of articles suggesting reasons why some do gain weight back. I don't think the doctor was doing anyone a service by expressing weight loss in terms of total weight instead of excess weight.

LIKE I SAID - EVERYONE WILL COME UP WITH DIFFERENT NUMBERS/STATISTICS.

No need to be snippy about it.

I'm glad you're aware... so what was the point of this post then?

@@heather5565, Sorry? My reply wasn't meant to be snippy. I misunderstood the article and asked about it due to that misunderstanding. I was agreeing with your statement. /confused

@@heather5565, Sorry? My reply wasn't meant to be snippy. I misunderstood the article and asked about it due to that misunderstanding. I was agreeing with your statement. /confused

Oh ok then I'm sorry too. Haha

I guess I misinterpreted your reply.

No matter the % - let's kick some butt!