Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which surgery is safer

Hi group:

My name is Jackie, and I am wondering which surgery will be better for me on the long run. I am between the sleeve and the lap band. I am really scare to go with the sleeve because I am not sure what will happen to me on the long run with taken out 80% of my stomach. I heard many things, that can go wrong after you have the sleeve. I am trying to avoid further years to come complications issue w my organs. I believe the lap band will help me and I have less side effects from it. If I have complications I can always take it off, and avoid other issues. I am undecided in which surgery I should do and confused about the whole thing.

Any suggestions, or please let me know what do you think about my post. I need to hear more information on this issue in order to make a good decision,

Thank you group!

Your insurance will only pay for one surgery and with the lap band there might be a time when you have to get it removed. I would go for the sleeve as there will be no other removal surgeries. I was in your shoes and the dr and I talked for a long time and agreed that I would Benefit more from the sleeve. With my busy schedule this meant that I don't have fills to get and other follow ups. Just a follow up at one month, 3 months 6 months than once a year. And I am actually have my surgeon forward my care to my family dr at a year. My family dr is closer and has better hours than my surgeon.

Hi Jackie, be careful not to take advice from strangers on the internet. We are here to offer support to each other but medical decisions can only be made with the help of our medical professionals. I can only speak to my own experience and the Lapband has been wonderful for me. There are a couple of links in my signature below that talk about how it works -- not to restrict intake but to help signal the brain for satiety. Best wishes to you as you research and decide what's right for you. I am lucky that I knew from the get-go which surgery was right for me and I'm glad it was available as I would not have done something more drastic. I like it that the band is reversible and I still have my whole stomach, etc. Many people who have the Sleeve and other surgeries are very happy as well -- the successful weight loss people are ones that do a lot of research and work closely with their doctors to follow instructions to the tee. Weight loss surgery is life-changing. I'm so glad I did it!

When I started my journey, I researched hospitals first. Newton Wellesley is the top wls hospital in New England and top 5 in the country, so I started there.

At the orientation, they made a point to say that they no longer do lap bands for two reasons; they provide no metabolic help, and so many are being revised to sleeves.

Not saying this is true, but considering the source, I'd give it some consideration.

For me personally, I looked at all the options and selected the sleeve for the simple reason that it was simple and eventually, you completely heal and are left with a normal body and a "skinny girl" stomach.

It is the one option that gives the least trouble with food textures, ibuprofen, and alcohol. Also, my life style doesn't lend itself to frequent doctors visits for adjustment.

That said, I am impressed by the success stories I read on this forum from banders. I think it's safe to say any of the wls options will be better than just trying to lose weight on your own!

Edited by Cape Crooner

My primary care physician would ONLY advise me to get the lap band. She told me that she could not recommend permanently removing or altering the human anatomy. I chose to follow her advice. Good luck with deciding.