Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ended up taking some meat and cheese roll-ups with me and ate on the way there and then on the way home as well.

I'm having flashbacks to sitting at a bar and ordering "wings, hold the wings"! I've eaten an awful lot of celery and blue cheese dressing.

Now, fried food doesn't sound at all appealing to me.

I'm having flashbacks to sitting at a bar and ordering "wings, hold the wings"! I've eaten an awful lot of celery and blue cheese dressing.

My doctor told me to never eat celery because it is to hard for our small tummies to break down. It doesn't brother you?

My doctor told me to never eat celery because it is to hard for our small tummies to break down. It doesn't brother you?

My flashbacks were to pre-op. I don't think I've had any raw celery since surgery.

Only you will know how it affects you once you try it. Some can tolerate it others can not. The past year has been ups and downs with me trying different foods to see how my body digest them post surgery. Fried foods isn't on the daily menu anymore, but its not 100% off either. I may do fried items (chicken/fries) maybe once or twice every other month. Sometimes its okay and my stomach processes it just fine. Other times ( and this was early on), my body barf that shit up like it with the plague. I think the farther out you wait to try certain types of food, the better your body maybe able to process things. Good luck to you.

I eat celery with my doctors blessing. Didn't even attempt it till a year out and pulled all the strings (or most of them) off first for about another six months. Now I eat them normally but chew them to death first and I've never had any problems. Carrots on the other hand don't sit too well. There are lots of things my stomach doesn't handle well (rice, bread, Apple peels come to mind) but celery isn't one of them.

As you can see everyone is a little different. I can tell you that I pretty much have the stomach of steel. I can eat anything I want without throwing up or having an upset tummy. The one thing I will warn you about with fried food is that it can cause a bit of a dumping syndrome - I get that. about 10 - 15 minutes after I eat fried food I have to run to the bathroom and have diarrhea. It's just that one time and when it's done it's done but any time I eat something that is fried or greasy it happens so I avoid it. My tummy isn't upset or hurt it just gives me the urgent need to go to the bathroom.

Try it and see what happens but be close to a bathroom in case... good luck.

Why bother having weight loss surgery with fried foods. That's setting you in to fail

not at all. You can have a few mozzarella sticks, or some chicken wings and still loose weight. Its all about moderation and being in control.

I go out to restaurants a couple times a month and order from the appetizer menu and sometimes it's some fried food. If it's overly greasy it doesn't always sit well, but I've lost over 120lbs

@@kelcified - like OP said, we all have been different rules...

what were yours?

I wasn't told no fried foods. I have had "buffalo" wings and friend Mozzarella sticks since probably 6 weeks out (wings, the cheese later...).

Key phrase mentioned a few times - baby bites, chew well and wait. Watch the portions. A wing or two and maybe a mozzarella stick or pass on the stick and eat something else. Enjoy the company. food is fuel only.

There are going to be times when you have to use the info you were given hopefully pre-op.

Protein first, veggies and then carbs...eat smart.

QUALITY over quantity ALWAYS! :P

I was definitely told: No fried foods!

I have tried fried foods once or twice, but they sit like a rock in my stomach and make me regret that choice for the next 1-2 hours. I've learned my lesson and don't even bother anymore!

I think it is too early to try things like that. Your stomach is still in healing mode and may not tolerate the bad stuff. I understand the desire and temptation. My surgery was in 2013, 9 days before Christmas and my birthday and was another 10 days later. So I get it. Be patient.

Take advantage of this honeymoon stage to lose as much as you can and to develop good habits.

You had surgery for a reason, right? A year from now you will be able to make many choices. Today it is best to stick as close to the rules as possible. If good choices are not a habit now, they may not be a year from now either.

Edited by cindi gant

I'm almost 8 weeks post op. My tummy is very offended by anything with grease. I will vomit every time. And it seems everything we cook these days we use grease! Lol. I'm a little afraid to taste something's for the first time in public in case of a negative reaction, until the tummy becomes a little more agreeable.

Id take it slow.

I am 6 weeks out from surgery. I have a few events that will be happening at bars.

I have not tried fried foods yet, but I was thinking of getting the mozzarella sticks and just peeling off the breading. There are other options on the menus, but has anyone been able to eat breaded things successfully or do they cause issues because of the breading (ie: chicken wings)?

Tummy made of steel. Nothing offends. However I mostly avoid fried foods because it's a slippery slope for me. I have had grabbed the occasional 1 when with friends, but I will not order a full order for myself. I see reading the thread you figured out a work around. I would suggest in events like this carrying along a Protein bar in case of emergencies.

Celery and raw veg in general don't bother me at all. I've had them since maybe 6 weeks post-op.

I am 6 weeks out from surgery. I have a few events that will be happening at bars.

I have not tried fried foods yet, but I was thinking of getting the mozzarella sticks and just peeling off the breading. There are other options on the menus, but has anyone been able to eat breaded things successfully or do they cause issues because of the breading (ie: chicken wings)?

Tummy made of steel. Nothing offends. However I mostly avoid fried foods because it's a slippery slope for me. I have had grabbed the occasional 1 when with friends, but I will not order a full order for myself. I see reading the thread you figured out a work around. I would suggest in events like this carrying along a Protein bar in case of emergencies.

Celery and raw veg in general don't bother me at all. I've had them since maybe 6 weeks post-op.
guess when I go to dr next week I will ask again. I miss eating celery:)