Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out

I think it would make a difference... I'm sure sometimes restaurants think people are trying to order off the kids menu to be cheap. To know that the request is backed by a dr might make them way more likely to oblige.

Could be... I've made all sorts of special requests (like ordering the "add on" portions of shrimp or whatever) instead of a full meal... Or half portion... And haven't had any trouble even without the card. I typically don't want what's on the kid menu, so that's something I haven't tried. It's typically fried or carb heavy.

I think it may also depend on if you are eating at a chain that has specific rules or an independent restaurant.

I do order kids meals at a couple of fast food places--chick fil a and their grilled nuggets Come to mind--and haven't been questioned at all.

Agreed, some kids menu items I don't want in which case I would get Soup. But a lot of places now have healthy kids options too. Or heck even to be able to order off the senior menu.

I think it would make a difference... I'm sure sometimes restaurants think people are trying to order off the kids menu to be cheap. To know that the request is backed by a dr might make them way more likely to oblige.

Could be... I've made all sorts of special requests (like ordering the "add on" portions of shrimp or whatever) instead of a full meal... Or half portion... And haven't had any trouble even without the card. I typically don't want what's on the kid menu, so that's something I haven't tried. It's typically fried or carb heavy.

I think it may also depend on if you are eating at a chain that has specific rules or an independent restaurant.

I do order kids meals at a couple of fast food places--chick fil a and their grilled nuggets Come to mind--and haven't been questioned at all.

Totally agree on the kids menu being fatty. And I do the add-on item thing too now...usually because I want to try everything lol. I'm sure it will be a completely different story once I'm sleeved.

I've seen some middle to higher priced menus with the printed msg on it saying it's not allowed but like you said, it seems that there are other ways around it.

Everywhere has "under 12 or 10 only" on the menu, but that doesn't stop me from trying. Maybe until I get a card I'll order half portions!

I have a card that my surgeon provided, haven't used it once. I travel extensively for work and have yet to see anything suitable from the kids menu. Typically the appetizer menu has much better options. Most restaurants also offer a salad option with a Protein portion option (salmon, steak, chicken).

I've ordered kids items before with no issues. But I also have ordered full meals and just have had leftovers. Some meals are able to last me 2 or 3 days with leftovers.

I would normally do that but there are many places I go where I can't take leftovers with me. For example, Vegas. I'll be going there again in February and won't be able to take leftovers. Or when we went to Disney my husband would have liked to pay kids price for some of the special dining events we did.

I have heard reports that Disney doesn't honor the cards. Anyone have any different experience?

I have been banded almost 3 years. never had any restaurant refuse to let me order small portions. you have to ask to see the Manager if that happens. I do have a card given to me at the bariatric center but have never had to use it. I just tell them I had weight loss surgery and need either child portions or smaller portions . I even had a server @ Red Robin say oh I had weight loss surgery too and have lost 100 lbs. so he was so accommodating.

Thanks all for the replies so far. I guess I just get frustrated when the family wants to go out and I can't find anything. I've been banded for 3 years now too. Just depends on the day for me if lettuce will go down. Sometimes it's too fiberous. I have been places where I tried to order smaller portions and my husband has even offered to pay adult price for it. We just didn't want to waste food.

Ive never had a card but always look for something that is band friendly, not smaller portions as anything I can eat the first time means leftovers for about 2-3 meals. Well worth the full price , I just separate the leftovers into individual containers when I get home and a lunch or dinner is done. If there is still leftovers, well, my dogs are happy !!

for a long time i tried to find or get a card and i simply gave up. when i go out to eat, i make sure i order something i could get multiple meals out of, and take the leftovers home. most places will make things the way you want them for the most part. just ask, asking never hurts

I thought about getting a card since my Dr told me he has them. But I always forget. So what works best for me is to just ask for an extra plate then I can just split with my hubby or kids.... works out fine. Otherwise we end up with a ton of leftovers that usually gets thrown out. My hubby jokes how much cheaper eating out will be once the kids are gone. Lol

I was given a card too however I have ordered kids meals before and haven't had a problem. Also, kids meals are generally not very good for you. chicken Strips, mac n cheese, etc. I sometimes just order an appetizer or Soup and salad . I was at a Red Robin's Restaurant and asked the server about a small portion explained why and he lit up like a Christmas tree, he said OMG I had weight loss surgery too and have lost 100 lbs. I told him how proud I was of him and he made some suggestions form the menu for me. I have not had any restaurant refuse my request.

When we stay in hotels or travel we only stay in places with a fridge and microwave so we can take leftovers back with us. Saves money on meals.

i do these thing to help.

order and appetizer as your meal when there is a good choice on thr menu.

split a large entree with my husband or kids.... they eat more so when i say split i mean i take a tiny little bit for me and thry eat the rest.

order al a cart, some places you can get just the protien portion or just a side item or combine a couple of those.

order soup- last resort if there is nothing that i feel like i can eat or should eat

Sent from my SM-S820L using the BariatricPal App

My husband and I share a meal or I order an appetizer. If I do order a meal I take the leftovers home.

Edited by sbostron

I always order one plate and split it with my kids (11 & 7). There's pretty much always enough for all three of us since we're all light eaters.

However, our go-to spot is the sushi train near the house. I eat tons of raw salmon and tuna (well, 3-4 ounces) and the kids get inari and tomago. Everyone is happy and there's no waste.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I think regardless of age you should be allowed a kids meal. It's less food for a smaller price no matter who eats it

Sent from my 5054N using the BariatricPal App