Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A shocking confession... (Warning - That may be a slight overstatement).

As I've posted on a number of occasions, I've not been one to 'weigh in' on a regular basis.

In fact, up until about a week ago, I'd only checked on my numerical progress on three or four occasions in the nine months since my sleeving.

Each time I checked, I was pleased with my progress.

At no time did I ever feel that I'd failed or that I was doing poorly.

Even now, I'm more than happy with my progress and am in no way regretting the choice I made.

However...

Something happened last week that I can't explain.

For some reason, I became someone I thought I'd never become.

Someone I'd not been able to understand..

Someone completely foreign to me...

Last week, I became a scale watcher!!!

There, I've said it...

It's out there now and I can't take it back..

Won't take it back!!

Ladies and gentleman, my name is Jason and I now weigh myself EVERY DAY!!!

Now, I'm hoping that it's just a passing phase..

I'm hoping that once I pass the milestone that I'm fast coming up on (it's a pretty major milestone), I'll go back to the cool, calm, rational quarterly weigh in kinda guy that I was up until last week.

I'm hoping that the insatiable desire to know my weight (or at least the weight I've lost) will be quenched upon the passing of this mark..

Alas, that's all yet to be decided..

For now it seems I must resign myself to the daily (or twice daily) check ins to which I've recently become accustomed.

Here endeth my rant...

Thanx for your time...

KindaFamiliar

LOL. It's not a disorder - unless you react badly to it. It's information. I have weighed daily for 3 years, and I go so far as to graph it! It's a bit of a game to me, and it keeps me focused. I've read that one habit of successful maintenance includes weighing daily.

We all need to do whatever it takes to keep us successful. I've changed my thinking about lots of things as I've learned more. Maybe you are changing yours? :) Carry on.

I've been getting on the scale every day, three to four times a day (step aerobics -- it counts!) for the last few decades. First thing in the AM, after a poo, at a random time in the middle of the day, right before bed...

It doesn't bother me to see fluctuations. It keeps me mindful and on track and since WLS, I just love to see the number. It's truly a beautiful sight.

What I have noticed over the last few months is that I no longer need to weigh myself immediately upon waking, right after a pee and stark nekky. If I am almost dressed when I remember, so be it. If I still have jammies on, so be it. Jeans? OH WELL! Heck, I got on the scale in jeans AND knee boots the other day along with my sweater and jacket. I NEVER would have done that at 260+ pounds.

Like my surgery, it's a tool. It doesn't make me or break me, it just helps me make good choices and reflect on the bad ones.

@@KindaFamiliar - LOL!

Jason, you can also be called a "scale junkie", that was the moniker I was tagged with years back with weight watchers.

Like @@MichiganChic and @@Lipstick Lady, I feel like it keeps me focused.

When you stress out about daily fluctuations and start eating one olive/pickle a day, drinking Miralax like Water and wrapping yourself in foil and laying out in the sun to lose that pound or two....you need an intervention!

I have charted too! On the refrigerator - with no numbers! Coded, "thick girl" trick, so no one knew exactly what I weighed. So funny now when I think about it....

I've started doing this too. I thought it was only me, and that I may need a 12 step program to get it under control. Thank you, Jason for shedding light on this! It's nice to know I'm in good company!

I weigh daily also, but I love to see the 1 in front of the number. I have hit so many stalls and said, oh well, it will eventually move. The scale keeps me motivated and has kept me going as I have seen it go up a pound or two or down .4 a day I think to myself I have come so far!!!

You have to be willing to see where you have come from. When I step on the scale I say 265 and then it says 190 and I am automatically motivated to work as hard as I can for the day. Maybe changing your routine while you wait for whatever milestone your waiting on will help you reach it. Just don't ever feel let down when that number goes up, as sometimes it will!!!! Think about your starting number before you read the number on the scale, it helps show overall progress!!!!

I've been weighing daily since I've been home from surgery on Nov 16. Only because I'm about 2.2 lbs away from getting out of the 300s!! I day of surgery i was 332. Hopefully once i get to 299 I'll breathe a sigh of relief lol.

@@KindaFamiliar, you'll get over it. From your telling, it isn't in your genes, just a temporary aberration.

The scale hasn't had a great role in my banded life. In the early days I'd keep a scrap-paper record of each weigh-in at the surgeon's and include the numeral to the right of the decimal point. Ever adamant about recording the decimal. After a time, though, I recognized the folly in tracking tenths of pounds while thinking of losing well over 100. My surgeon's scale is for accuracy; any other doctor's scale is for consistency. As long as I eat properly, the rest will take care of itself. Waistbands tell me what to expect from the next scale visit.

You, my friend, are in serious need of a 12 step program.

Right now, take twelve steps away from the scale.

For long term results remain no closer than twelve steps to the aforesaid scale at any given time.

You're welcome. ????

0eea7cd9ccc229bad57c1bc43a37c26d.jpg

Oh, man. I did that my last low-carb phase (I'm still pre-op). It drove me nuts because our bodies naturally fluctuate weight just a little bit. Still did it, though! It's saner to weigh in once per week, but I definitely get the compulsion to weigh in every day.

If you can handle the normal fluctuations without it ruining your whole day, by all means weigh every day! I'm a big proponent of you can't measure what you can't see. Pre surgery, the times I would ignore the scale were the times I was gaining and at my highest weights. I'm not going to let that happen again! So I know when the time comes and I feel I need to avoid the scale, I need to get my butt back on track and hold myself accountable.

But that's just me.

You admitted to yourself that you are a "scale-aholic"; that is the first step to recovery.

You need to go to SA (Scale-aholic Anonymous) meetings. I wonder if they serve vegetables as Snacks at those meetings instead of doughnuts?

I was adamant that daily weighing was a 'bad' idea. Then I started in a weight loss study that requires me to weigh daily. Guess what-- I LOVE it and its not messing with my head at all. I actually feel like I'm doing better with the daily weigh-ins.

Not sure if the same would have been the case for me early out-- but I'm more confident with where I am with all of this now-- so bring on the scale I say!

the weighing isnt bad its what you do with the info, or how it affects you. as many others have said, I use it to help keep me focused. Sometimes if i get a little out of my goal focus the scale lets me know. After i hit goal ( six pounds to go) I will try to not do it every day. but if i do. so what? lol being aware of your weight is a good way to help stay in control of your weight.