Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At 2 weeks post-op, my non VSG world shattered. I am trying to pick up the pieces...

I am so sorry. That is just awful.

But you're right, you need to make sure you're taking care of yourself, too. About a month after my surgery, we found out that my dad was in heart failure and had to be immediately admitted to the heart hospital. I booked a one-way ticket and flew out to Indiana from Pennsylvania first thing the next day and ended up spending over two weeks there while he had all sorts of tests and eventually a triple bypass (he made it through and is doing fairly well now). Scrounging meals in airports and hospital cafeterias was not how I anticipated that my introduction back to solid foods would go, but I managed. I brought Protein powder and my shaker bottle with me (since I couldn't fly with RTD shakes)--I'm sure my seatmate on the plane was annoyed by my ordering a milk from the drink cart and proceeding to vigorously mix a Protein shake right then and there, but oh well! I picked up cheese sticks and other portable Protein Snacks, and packed a little cooler every day to take to the hospital. I walked the halls of the hospital a lot, and drug my mom outside to take laps around the building when I felt like she needed a break.

Bottom line is--you'll be better able to give your son the support he needs if you are as healthy as possible. Being readmitted to the hospital for dehydration is definitely not going to help! Keep plugging away at the Water and protein.

I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

As a mom of 4, my heart breaks for you. You and your family are in my prayers. Positive vibes all around.

lauraellen is right. you can give better care and support if you are healthy. your son needs to see that you are ok. i know as a mom, that would be hard as hell. if he sees you falling apart he will think/know there is a reason to fall apart. let him see you for the strong woman you are. get in your mind that he is going to be ok, and start acting like he is going to be ok, because he is!! start thinking and talking very positively. there has been leaps and bounds in technology and research. your family will make it through this just fine!!! things seem to just work themselves out.

i cannot even imagine what you are going through. my nephew was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer. he had a huge tumor removed last year. what should have killed him made him very much stronger and wiser. boy does he really enjoy his life now after feeling so much better for a year. it was hard enough seeing my sister go through what you are going through.

lots of people are praying for you. hang in there sister. you have lots of support. take care of yourself first. let us know if there is anything we can help you with, as much as we can do online :)

Sometimes life seems so unfair. Keeping you in my thoughts. I have three sons around his age (and 2 daughters a bit younger). I can't even imagine what you are going through. Keep us updated on his progress.... and yes, keep yourself healthy!

Thank you all for your kind words and support. I got my lunch down and 1/2 bottle of Water. Slowly but surely.....

I'm so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son! May God comfort your family!

I'm so sorry to hear about the devastating news. I know there's nothing I can really say to ease your burden. Just continue on as you've been, the best you can, and that's the limit of expectations you should pile on yourself right now. Be as cognizant of your health as you are of his, as he needs you as healthy as you can be to support him and your family through this difficult time.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I can't say any more than what's already been said. But I still want you to know that you have many, many people here praying for you and your family. God bless!

So sorry to hear this sad news. I'll keep your family in my prayers

@@Mom26

Your post broke my heart :( I have an almost 26 year old son, and I just can't imagine what you're going through.

I will be thinking about you and your family.

Positive thoughts and hugs to you!

I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Take care of yourself and also make sure to be kind to yourself.

My thoughts and prayers are with you ,your son and family. Illness is tough, but when it involves one of your children it feels devastating and out of control. Hang in there. I can imagine how hard it must be to try and take care of yourself right now. But like you said- you have to stay strong for your son and rest of your family. One day at a time.

I just joined this forum a few minutes ago, and this was literally the first thread I clicked on.

I sometimes read things like this and say a little silent prayer as I'm scrolling, but this was the first time I actually stopped, shut my eyes, and prayed for someone I don't know.

Wishing you strength and focus, your son peace and resolve, and his doctors wisdom and guidance.

Jeff