Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is why stalls happen so early after our quick, large losses. As you can see, it's inevitable. Nothing to fret about!

A "stall" a few weeks after surgery is not uncommon, and here's why.

Our bodies use glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, but it is stored in our muscles for quick energy -- one pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs. of Water to keep it soluble, and the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when a patient is not getting in enough food, the body turns first to stored glycogen, which is easy to break down for energy. Then when 2 lbs. of glycogen is used a patient will also lose 8 lbs. of Water that was used to store it -- voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs. that most people lose in the first week of a diet.

However, when the body stays in a caloric deficit state the body starts to realize that this is not a short-term problem. Then the body starts mobilizing fat from adipose tissue and burning fat for energy. But the body also realizes that fat can't be used for short bursts of energy. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, and rebuilding the glycogen stores. As it puts back the 2 lbs. of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs. of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though the patient might still be losing energy content to their body, the weight will not go down or it might even gain for a while as the retention of water dissolves the glycogen that is being reformed and stored.

@Babbs Wow ... our bodies are incredible machines. I myself, am sad that I didn't realize this years ago and treated it better.

I'm working on it body-o-mine!

@@Babbs Wow ... our bodies are incredible machines. I myself, am sad that I didn't realize this years ago and treated it better.

I'm working on it body-o-mine!

I know. Too often I hear people, including doctors and medical professionals, who assume our bodies are simple machines and not highly-calibrated and complex systems.

I am 1.5 weeks post-op and lost 3.6 pounds (I think). It is a whole lot less than I thought, but staying patient.

I also believe I am way too low on calories as I am hovering around 250-400 calories per day. Add walking into that and I am really getting no nourishment. How many calories should I be striving for each day? My surgeon never told me.

Babbs' advise is excellent. If you make your Protein and Water goals, you will increase your calories as well. You are still stuck with liquids so getting the calories up is a challenge unless you are drinking Protein shakes or cream Soups. Also you are so soon after surgery and your body is in shock. They tend to pump you full of fluids while in the hospital so I bet you drop some weight fast in the coming days. All of that Water weight.

God ia amazing and how our bodies our self healers :)

@@Fatty McFatster - focus on the Protein, Fluid and exercise. We have enough fat reserves to eat low cal for a while. As a male you could even try increasing your protein goals. I aim for 100gms a day. If you are unclear, call your nutritionist and have them review your eating plan.

I am 1.5 weeks post-op and lost 3.6 pounds (I think). It is a whole lot less than I thought, but staying patient.

I also believe I am way too low on calories as I am hovering around 250-400 calories per day. Add walking into that and I am really getting no nourishment. How many calories should I be striving for each day? My surgeon never told me.

Babbs' advise is excellent. If you make your Protein and Water goals, you will increase your calories as well. You are still stuck with liquids so getting the calories up is a challenge unless you are drinking Protein shakes or cream Soups. Also you are so soon after surgery and your body is in shock. They tend to pump you full of fluids while in the hospital so I bet you drop some weight fast in the coming days. All of that Water weight.

@@Fatty McFatster - focus on the Protein, Fluid and exercise. We have enough fat reserves to eat low cal for a while. As a male you could even try increasing your protein goals. I aim for 100gms a day. If you are unclear, call your nutritionist and have them review your eating plan.

Thank you both so much. I appreciate the help and advice.

Munecagirl,

This is normal! So many sleeve and other WLS patients have super fast weight loss their first week or two, and then a week or two or more with a stall. It’s just your body trying to adjust. The first 20 lbs. are such a HUGE amount for your body to lose, and it takes a while for your body to catch up and be ready to lose again.

You can help your body catch up by treating it right. Get a lot of Protein, and get a TON of Water. Don’t cut back on your calories or be afraid of pureed foods (if you’re ready for them and your surgeon says to have them). Your body will eventually be ready, and you will lose weight again. The only way you won’t lose weight is if you don’t follow your post-op instructions and diet!

I know it’s frustrating. Believe me, we ALL wish those 20 lbs would come off evenly in 3 weeks and not all at once in the first week if weeks 2 and 3 are just a stall! But we don’t get to choose!

Good luck.

@@Fatty McFatster - focus on the Protein, Fluid and exercise. We have enough fat reserves to eat low cal for a while. As a male you could even try increasing your Protein goals. I aim for 100gms a day. If you are unclear, call your nutritionist and have them review your eating plan.

Is it a good idea to watch fat grams? I'm 6 Wks out and mostly low fat everything but it seems like the low-fat stuff has more carbs so I was thinking it might be better to go with higher fat low-carb when making choices.

what do you think?

@@Fatty McFatster - focus on the Protein, Fluid and exercise. We have enough fat reserves to eat low cal for a while. As a male you could even try increasing your Protein goals. I aim for 100gms a day. If you are unclear, call your nutritionist and have them review your eating plan.

Is it a good idea to watch fat grams? I'm 6 Wks out and mostly low fat everything but it seems like the low-fat stuff has more carbs so I was thinking it might be better to go with higher fat low-carb when making choices.

what do you think?

I don't worry too much about fat grams. I try to choose naturally low-fat things like non-fat or low fat dairy products, lean meats like turkey, and healthy fats like fish, avocado, nuts, etc.

I don't eliminate high fat, just minimize it. I like real bacon, but prefer turkey sausage. I eat real butter, mayo, etc., but I eat very small amounts when I do.

I do the same as @InnerSurferGirl - no artificial diet foods. I eat zero fat yogurt, but that's made with skim milk. Otherwsie it's real butter on the rare occasions that I have it. I try to stick with healthy fats, but I don't avoid them.

I barely lost until I was past 6 weeks. Once I was able to eat real food the weight fell off. Just follow your program, and stay off the scale.

I think people sabotage their own weight loss by stressing themselves out over the scale.< /p>

I am obsessing, just had mine 2 weeks ago and I am honestly obsessing! Why do you think eating real food helped the weight come off. I don't know, I am just an emotional wreck; lost 15 pounds and now over 3/4 days I gained 2 and losing nothing. I know it may sound shallow but when you are overweight and have this surgery you get such high hopes; I know I should be kinder to myself and quit stressing.

Because Protein shakes are full of artificial sweeteners and chemicals.

Once I was eating fish and veggies, the weight came off quickly. Also I had more energy and could walk more. At 6 weeks I was walking 2 miles a day. I walk 3-5 miles a day now (just depends on my work schedule). Once you have more energy and can be more active and eat real food, not processed stuff, I think the weight comes off faster.

Everyone is different. If you are meeting your Protein and Water goals the weight will come off. When you see people posting about not losing or failing long term, they usually end up admitting they were not getting in protein and Water, but were eating junk slider foods because they go down easy. Follow your program and the weight comes off, this is science not magic.

Thanks everyone! I needed to hear everything you have shared here. At 20 days out I have stalled as well and all of your great advise has meant the world to me. Not stressing out is my goal, along with 90g of Protein and 64 oz of Water. I've got the protein handled working up to 64 on the water.