Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story: I ain't ashamed to tell it. I was fat, tired, hungry, looked like crap, barely went out, and sick

I've fought my weight since I was seven years old. Was bullied and called "marshmellow" in grade school because of my weight. As an adult I've gone up and down so many times I can't count. Diets seem to work, but then they don't and the weight always comes back with more. Two years ago I started developing all the illnesses associated with obesity. I had high-blood pressure, high chloresterol and sleep apnea. My Dr failed to diagnose that I had diabetes for over a year, even though he told me I had high blood suger but did not tell me to get blood tests. I became sicker and sicker until a friend at work who is a volunteer with ADA told me my symptoms indicated I had diabetes and I made an appointment that day to go back to my Dr. He said, I told you last year that your blood sugar was very high, why didn't you get blood tests. I flipped out and said, BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T PERSCRIBE IT. My blood count at that time was close to 600 and I found my A1A was close to 15. I also had neuropathy, my skin was so dry and cuts were slow to heal. I also knew something was wrong because I was unexplecably losing weight without trying. That was a first for me.

I found a Endocrinologist who took me in immediately and said I was lucky I didn't go into a coma and didn't damage my kidneys. I went on 60mg of insulin daily plus other meds. After several months of trying to control my type 2 diabetes, my Endocrinologist and I talked about weight loss surgery. I had been looking into it online. He suggested RNY bypass because in his opinion the long-term success is greater.

I had consults with a couple of Drs that did lap-bands and sleeves and they said I could pick one, but didn't really give me many reasons other than the lap-band is adjustable to go with one or the other.

I live in Phoenix, AZ and I found Dr Kurt Sprunger at the Phoenix Bariatric Center, that only does bypass surgery and he said that he stopped doing the other procedures because of long-term results. For my insurance to cover my procedure, there were several other Drs and a dietician I had to see.

After all the hoops and finally having to get my primary physicians approval for the procedure. He was initially against weight loss surgery and I reminded him of how he failed to diagnose my diabetes the year before and that he is still my Dr, and still a Dr, he signed the consent.

I had my surgery on July 28, 2015 at St Luke's Hospital in Phoenix. I was skeptical about the hospital, as I had never heard of it and it wasn't in the best part of town. After going to the hospital a week before the surgery put my mind to rest as the hospital was nice and updated and everyone was very attentive and friendly. The morning of my surgery, i went in at 6:30am, was admitted, and went into a pre-op area where I put on a gown and layed down. I don't remember anything after that until I was in my room at 3pm and was told I had several phone conversations on my cell prior to that. I don't even know how I got my cell after surgery.

I will admit that after surgery it only hurt if I moved. I was up and walking that afternoon. Everyone at the hospital was fantastic. I was treated like a prince. St Luke's has a bariatric unit which I was unaware of previously. Spent two nights in the hospital and was on my way home. Each day I felt much better than the previous day. I followed my Drs directions and walked each day. Starting out by doing laps in my house. It was probably ten days to two weeks, with walking every day that I felt back to normal.

Adjust to solid food was easy. My second meal I ate too fast and vomitted. I learned my lesson. If you eat too fast or too much, you suffer the consequences. When I eat too much or too fast, I have to go lay down until the feeling passes.

My good news is that I've gone from 245lbs in July to165lbs today. I've gone from size 44w pants to now wearing 31w pants and jeans. I thought it would take me a year to lose 80lbs, not four months. Only ten pounds to my goal. I even lost a pound over Thanksgiving and I made a big Thanksgiving feast. I tasted everything. Tasting is enough for me now.

I'm not hungry, or driven to eat emotionally for the first time in my life. I'm back in the gym lifting weights and ALL my obesity related illnesses are gone and I'm off all medications.

When I went to my Endocrinologist's office, they didn't recognize me. I'm getting that a lot where people don't recognize me. My Endocrinologist was thrilled to tell me to go off all my meds. He also told me that he wished he could tell more of his patients to stop taking their meds and come back in six months. I asked if I should still test my blood twice daily and he said there is no reason too. Out of curiosity I have tested occaisionally and I'm between 95 and 105 which is very normal.

My primary Dr is also amazed to take me off all my meds and he's amazed at my results and says he's definitely re-thinking his opinion of weight loss surgery. My Bariatric surgeon, Dr Sprunger was thrilled for me at my three months follow up as well.

My Aetna insurance is great. They covered so much of my surgery. The only thing I paid was $800 to the hospital when I went for pre-op. Nothing else.

I know my results aren't typical, but I have been following the post-op diet. I'm so thrilled. Finally when I look in the mirror I think I look great. I don't see myself as fat anymore. I can go to any store and buy clothes. For years I couldn't buy clothes in the mall and was buying clothes at Walmart. Now I can shop anywhere. The problem is now, I'm buying clothes like crazy and having so much fun shopping and buying outrageous outfits. Why dress normal and boring? Now at the mall, I'm finding they don't stock as many size 31w pants and jeans as they do size 34 - 38W. Please don't feel sorry for me. It's my cross to bear.

Getting surgery was the best decision I've ever made. I can't recommend it enough to anyone that has fought their weight and the complications that come with it.

I've only told my close friends that I've had surgery. One person I did tell at work that inquired how I lost so much weight, who I thought might benefit from my story said, "Bariatric surgery? Oh, you cheated". I said, "If cheating saves my life, I'll choose cheating everytime, BEOOOCH!" I know people at work have gossiped about my weight loss but I really don't care or feel like going into everything with work aquaintences who only want to gossip anyway.

Pictures of me in the Green plaid shirt are from the beginning of Jul 2015. The ones in the jacket are from Nov 20, 2015. My most outrageous outfit and shoes yet. ^_^

I trully hope my story will help or inspire anyone contemplating or has recently had bariatric surgery!

Good Luck! Life is way too short to spend it sick, unhappy or with people that suck the life out of you.

"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death" Come, sit at my table and take a tiny bite, and chew slowly.

post-267093-14488462200526_thumb.jpg

post-267093-14488462636962_thumb.jpg

post-267093-14488462793487_thumb.jpg

post-267093-14488462949766_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for sharing your story. It is truly inspiring!

Congratulations!

Good story. Congratulations. Let us know if we can be of any help during the rest of your journey.

Congratulations on your accomplishments, you look so happy and heathy! I am 5 days post op and hoping my results are as amazing as yours!

I loved your story and adore your enthusiasm! You've worked hard and have a lot to be thankful for. Thanks for sharing the great news!

You are too fabulous!!!Love your truth!

Very inspiring! Congratulations!

Love it congrats