Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! Newly bypassed here... struggling with protein

I had the band to gastric surgery on 11/23. I am about ready to scream....enough with these horribly sweet drinks. Where do u all get Premier Protein?

If you have NutriBullet or a blender, try making your Protein Shake in there. I use almond milk (unsweetened vanilla), ice and Protein Powder (usually Quest or Unjury). It makes the Protein shake taste like a milk shake. I have one every morning for Breakfast.< /p>

Is that all you put in it? Unsweetened almond vanilla and Ice with protein powder?

Premier Protein is at Walgreens and HEB in Austin. HEB is a Texas chain of supermarkets. I have ordered directly from Premier Protein and it is really nice having it delivered to your door. There are a bunch of websites that sell it online. I don't know how I would have made it through preop diet or first few weeks post op without it. I still have it once a day for breakfast. I've never been a breakfast eater and my Nut is thrilled that I have premier protein first thing every morning.

DAR200 does is cause u diahrea? Sometimes that much Protein can do that to me..

I haven't had a problem with Premier Protein that way. In fact on days when I can barely stand to eat or drink I count on it to get Protein and some Fluid.

Hi all. I've yet to consume a Protein Shake and was converted from band to bypass. I know i need my Protein. My surgery was 11/16. I just found something, a protein shot. So was wondering if anyone ever tried this. It's 42g of protein in a shot. It's whey protein also. Any experiences with it? Good or bad? Thanks ☺

I struggle too with the protein. The one thing that I enjoy is the Isopure Apple melon drinks. They sell them at GNC but the best price is Amazon. The milky protein was really hard to get down at first. This is a clear liquid. And I usually do little paper cups and try and drink one Dixie cup every half hour. They have 40 gms of protein.

I vote for Isopure as well. My supermarket carries two flavors, Frosty Grape and Mountain berry (or something like that can't remember). I use these later in the day for more Protein. I just need the variety. Sorry I forgot to mention it before. I'm five weeks out and still can't actually eat enough protein so I use the drinks to make sure I get enough each day.

I am soon to begin pre op diet and I bought the black and green tea Isopure.< /p>

I can handle it...I like the fact that it is clear liquid...and has protein.I plan to take it to the hospital.I hate Gatorade with a passion.

High Protein Jello? Who carries it?

Hi Phat :)

I TOTALLY relate to your struggle with Protein powders. I'm only 11 days post op but will share what's helped me. I bought a bunch of samples from Nashua Nutrition.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

I'm just learning to refrigerate the shake for at least 20 minutes before drinking it. I'm also using soy milk. So far the three shakes I've had are actually not bad.

I've also bought Soups that have 15 grams of Protein and they're very drinkable when doctored up with spices.

In preparation for my next phase "Soft", I've gotten oatmeal with no sugar and 15 gr protein. If it's disgusting, I'll switch to be favorite irish steel oats and add, SF maple Syrup, applesauce and Protein powder. Feedback I've seen on the protein oatmeal is the consistency is pretty bad.

Looking to yogurt and cottage cheese :)

Hi Phat :)

I TOTALLY relate to your struggle with Protein powders. I'm only 11 days post op but will share what's helped me. I bought a bunch of samples from Nashua Nutrition.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

I'm just learning to refrigerate the shake for at least 20 minutes before drinking it. I'm also using soy milk. So far the three shakes I've had are actually not bad.

I've also bought Soups that have 15 grams of Protein and they're very drinkable when doctored up with spices.

In preparation for my next phase "Soft", I've gotten oatmeal with no sugar and 15 gr protein. If it's disgusting, I'll switch to be favorite irish steel oats and add, SF maple Syrup, applesauce and protein powder. Feedback I've seen on the protein oatmeal is the consistency is pretty bad.

Looking to yogurt and cottage cheese :)

Good luck to you!!

Tomorrow i start solids thank god! Lol I've been on eggs and stuff buy now it's time to incorporate real food! I've been waiting for this. Hopefully i can get more protein in.

You can get Premier Protein at costco. chocolate is the best. They often have a sale on them.

I buy a few cases at the time and everytime I drive somewhere for a few hours, I take my little insulated bag and put a shake in it and a Protein Bar, as well as a Vitamin Water to keep hydrated.

Howdy Folks!

The recently opened store on this website is not bad.

What I find interesting is that they have samples or variety packages of many products. Protein supplements can be an investment, this way you can find the ones that suit you without throwing away a lump of cash.

I have found works for me is that when I end up buying something that I don't like, there is someone in my local bariatric support group who can use it, so I just pass it on instead just trashing it.

mayo clinic gave me some pages of recommended Protein drinks. I did the math on the protein/calories and ranked the stuff on the sheet. Aikins, Carnation, ranked pretty low. Isopure was the best. Followed by Nestle's Beneprotein.

So I went looking for Isopure - and couldn't find it at Walgreens, Walmart, Target, Market Place Foods, or Super One. Someone suggested it may only be available through a gym/fitness club. I live in a small isolated community and I needed to get going on this so I settled for whatever I could get from our local stores and food coop.

I hate sweets.

That being said, I love unjury Protein.< /p>

They make unflavored and chicken bouillon. I can use those two powders as bases for some of my protein creations, or mix them with those sweet drinks to get rid of the stickiness.

I have also recently found a website called bodybuilding.com that sells a bizilion kinds of Proteins powders, RTDs and meals. I haven't ordered from them yet, but I like the site because it RATES all its products, and it shows you the cost per serving.

The rankings agreed with the way I would have ranked the ones I had tested. It was the price per serving information that was an eye opener. Isopure rants, high, but is also quite pricey. Me, I'd rather add Water to a powder for $1 a serving, than have someone else do it and pay over $3 a serving.

So, yeah, I am happy with my Unjury. And, I think I'll expand into some of the products from bodybuilding, if I can find something unflavored or savory.

Hi all. I've yet to consume a Protein shake and was converted from band to bypass. I know i need my Protein. My surgery was 11/16. I just found something, a protein shot. So was wondering if anyone ever tried this. It's 42g of protein in a shot. It's whey protein also. Any experiences with it? Good or bad? Thanks ☺

I struggle too with the protein. The one thing that I enjoy is the Isopure Apple melon drinks. They sell them at GNC but the best price is Amazon. The milky protein was really hard to get down at first. This is a clear liquid. And I usually do little paper cups and try and drink one Dixie cup every half hour. They have 40 gms of protein.

Check out LuckyVitamin.com for the Isopure - cheaper than Amazon!

Here's some info I found online about Protein powders:

Protein powder: What Ingredients to Look For and associated Risks

Some products use additive to enhance the flavor, mix-ability, texture, longevity, convenience to transport, or just to bulk the product up and make it cheaper to produce – think popular lines like Muscle Milk, Apex, and Vi. When reading labels, it’s valuable to know that ingredients are typically listed in the order of the highest amount used in the product to the least amount.

Aspartame and Sucralose – Sucralose is sometimes sold as “Splenda”, both are sweeteners containing no calories and are sweeter than sugar. There may be a link between sucralose and leukemia in mice, so its safety rating has changed from “Safe” to “Avoid.” Regarding Aspartame in 2007 it was found that long-term exposure to low doses of aspartame increased cancer in rats.

Maltodextrin – Maltodextrin is an artificial sugar that has a mild, sweet taste. It’s also known as a polysaccharide, or chain of sugars, and is created by applying acids or other enzymes to cornstarch. Maltodextrin is actually a term that applies to any starch hydrolysis product containing fewer than 20 glucose units. Therefore, maltodextrin refers to a family of products rather than one specific product.

It has side effects and health risks similar to most food additives. These include allergic reactions, unexplained weight gain, bloating, and flatulence. Specific allergic reactions include rash, asthma, itching, and difficulty breathing. Wheat-derived maltodextrin may pose health concerns for individuals with celiac disease because it contains gluten. However, in most cases the maltodextrin production process completely removes the Protein from the wheat resulting in a gluten-free wheat-derived maltodextrin.

Soy Lecithin – This additive is extracted from soybeans, either mechanically or chemically, using hexane. It’s actually a byproduct of soybean oil production. It can cause side effects such as diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, or fullness. Soy lecithin has been linked to negative effects on fertility and reproductionand there are links to a promotion in the risk of cancer.

Xanthan Gum – Xanthan Gum is made by fermenting corn sugar with a bacteria. Xanthan Gum can be derived from a variety of sources such as corn, wheat, and soy. Individuals with an allergy to such sources should avoid foods containing Xanthan Gum. As a carbohydrate with 7 grams of Fiber per tablespoon, it may cause bloating in some people.