Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I tell them as i'm ordering I'll immediately need a to go box and since my family always does appetizers I just keep that tiny plate and eat what fits on the plate as my main meal.

Edited by Veronica Page

My husband and I both had the sleeve done so when often share a plate at restaurants. We are not afraid to order a la carte and ask for to go boxes. Yes, we get the "look" and often the manager will come over to see if something was wrong because we ate so little. We usually just let them know that we had gastric sleeve surgery and cannot eat very much. We even ask to order off the children's menu. Some restaurants will let you.

If my wife is with me, we can share one meal -- I can eat about 2-3 ounces of Protein (fish preferred, chicken breast works, can't eat beef) and a few of the veges. If alone, I can get a take home box and get two additional meals from the one meal. In 7 months, I have learned that most appetizers are carb loaded or fried, but in asian restaurants, things like marinated chicken or shrimp on sticks in various forms works ok. In our part of the world, we have Sonic drive-ins. They have a grilled chicken sandwich. I can eat half the chicken and a bite of the bun, but it is quick and filling. There seems to be nothing at other fast foods that I can eat, Wendy's has a grillled chicken sandwich but it tastes old. I was with a group that went to Taco Bell, there was nothing for me to order except a small cup of refried Beans, which was tasty but am sure it had too much fat in the Beans.

Overall, when I have to travel, I stay out of pancake houses, steakhouses (can't eat beef, major problems with that as is typical of gastric bypass). Chinese is fine, there is always something I can eat. Indian is marginal but I have found a few things on their menus that work. Seafood restaurants are the best -- a small salmon fillet with a side of steamed veges is my favorite out meal.

If my wife is with me, we can share one meal -- I can eat about 2-3 ounces of Protein (fish preferred, chicken breast works, can't eat beef) and a few of the veges. If alone, I can get a take home box and get two additional meals from the one meal. In 7 months, I have learned that most appetizers are carb loaded or fried, but in asian restaurants, things like marinated chicken or shrimp on sticks in various forms works ok. In our part of the world, we have Sonic drive-ins. They have a grilled chicken sandwich. I can eat half the chicken and a bite of the bun, but it is quick and filling. There seems to be nothing at other fast foods that I can eat, Wendy's has a grillled chicken sandwich but it tastes old. I was with a group that went to Taco Bell, there was nothing for me to order except a small cup of refried Beans, which was tasty but am sure it had too much fat in the Beans.

Overall, when I have to travel, I stay out of pancake houses, steakhouses (can't eat beef, major problems with that as is typical of gastric bypass). Chinese is fine, there is always something I can eat. Indian is marginal but I have found a few things on their menus that work. Seafood restaurants are the best -- a small salmon fillet with a side of steamed veges is my favorite out meal.

Come to California! We have non fried appetizers! Ahi Poke, grilled shrimp, smoked fish, sashimi, chicken lettuce wraps, grilled veggie and chicken stacks and skewers...

I'm sure other states have them too, LOL! But honestly most of the appetizers at the restaurants I go to have lots more than the standard artichoke dip, blooming onion, fried mozzarella choices.

And as far as fast food goes do you have a chick fil a? Love their grilled chicken nuggets! Jack in the box chicken fajita pita (I don't eat the pita) is awesome too.

If my wife is with me, we can share one meal -- I can eat about 2-3 ounces of Protein (fish preferred, chicken breast works, can't eat beef) and a few of the veges. If alone, I can get a take home box and get two additional meals from the one meal. In 7 months, I have learned that most appetizers are carb loaded or fried, but in asian restaurants, things like marinated chicken or shrimp on sticks in various forms works ok. In our part of the world, we have Sonic drive-ins. They have a grilled chicken sandwich. I can eat half the chicken and a bite of the bun, but it is quick and filling. There seems to be nothing at other fast foods that I can eat, Wendy's has a grillled chicken sandwich but it tastes old. I was with a group that went to Taco Bell, there was nothing for me to order except a small cup of refried Beans, which was tasty but am sure it had too much fat in the Beans.< /p>

Come to California! We have non fried appetizers! Ahi Poke, grilled shrimp, smoked fish, sashimi, chicken lettuce wraps, grilled veggie and chicken stacks and skewers...

I'm sure other states have them too, LOL! But honestly most of the appetizers at the restaurants I go to have lots more than the standard artichoke dip, blooming onion, fried mozzarella choices.

And as far as fast food goes do you have a chick fil a? Love their grilled chicken nuggets! Jack in the box chicken fajita pita (I don't eat the pita) is awesome too.

One Chick Fila in the entire western side of Colorado, but will try the nuggets, no Jack in the Box here. Thanks for the ideas.

If my wife is with me, we can share one meal -- I can eat about 2-3 ounces of Protein (fish preferred, chicken breast works, can't eat beef) and a few of the veges. If alone, I can get a take home box and get two additional meals from the one meal. In 7 months, I have learned that most appetizers are carb loaded or fried, but in asian restaurants, things like marinated chicken or shrimp on sticks in various forms works ok. In our part of the world, we have Sonic drive-ins. They have a grilled chicken sandwich. I can eat half the chicken and a bite of the bun, but it is quick and filling. There seems to be nothing at other fast foods that I can eat, Wendy's has a grillled chicken sandwich but it tastes old. I was with a group that went to Taco Bell, there was nothing for me to order except a small cup of refried Beans, which was tasty but am sure it had too much fat in the Beans.< /p>

One Chick Fila in the entire western side of Colorado, but will try the nuggets, no Jack in the Box here. Thanks for the ideas.

Dang! Like I said come to CA!

Carl's Jr/Hardee's grilled chicken sandwich isn't bad without the bun

I don't eat much fast food at all - but Taco Bell has a "fresco" menu which transforms soft tacos to being pretty healthy and low calorie (they put lettuce and Tomato instead of cheese and sour cream)

I recently when to Taco Time and had their "chicken corn chowder" - not bad and modest calorie. I found it to be quite filling.

In general though - I am not crazy about fast food. It doesn't taste as good, tends to be over processed etc. I like going to nice restaurants and ordering small portions of delish food.

I either order ala carte and just get a Protein item, or I eat off my hubs plate. I ate of my Mom's plate also. She's 86. She didn't even hardly notice! ;)

I always joke that I don't care where we go out to eat, as I'm going to have the grilled chicken.

There are very few places that don't have something along those lines. I plan to take half home, to supplement the dinner with a few bites of salad, and try to pick a healthy veggie side.

1) Order whatever looks good. Eat what I can. Take home leftovers. I usually get 4-5 meals out of a single entree.

2) coordinate with the others, order a bunch of appetizers or a couple Entrees and we all share. I usually don't get leftovers but it's a good option when "everything" looks good!

3) split an entree with someone. Eat what I can and they get the rest. I have friends lining up for this option cause I eat so little and they get most of the carbs. I never get leftovers :(

4) if it's fast food I get a burger or chicken sandwich or roast beef (love Arby's) or taco or burrito and eat it minus the bun/tortilla. Never order fries but will definitely steal some from someone else. ;)

Edited by Kindle

Read the menu online before going. See if anything offered as an appetizer would suit you as an entrée. Google images of the food posted on yelp or thrillist or something. See if anything you like is being offered as half portions. Anything that can conceivably be ordered on the side, order it on the side! Plan on having the same thing for dinner (or breakfast/lunch) out of your to-go box. As always, stop when you feel fullness and order the to-go box! Don't order dessert. But if you have to have a bite of something sweet, ask somebody to give you a taste of theirs.

many times i have told the waitress, that i am a gastric sleeve patient and they have mentioned it to the staff a few times they have had the chef make me something they think i would like , chefs are great like that. i once had a beautiful little piece of herbed baked fish, that wasn't on the menu, but they only had a small amount so it was great ( halibut, yum) and the other was a little chicken roulade ( rolled up) with vegetable stuffing. places always accommodate and i tip for the privilege as well.

also easiest is going to indian food, or mexican, both usually have ptions of well seasoned and spiced foods that are available in high Protein meats or veggies etc. pub food is the hardest unles you want to eat like a side of veggies while everyone else is eating fried everything lol. although my falback is boneless buffalo tenders, just skip the ranch etc.

Fyi you can order a side of egg or just a piece of grilled chicken from McDonald's I order chicken sometimes and use nugget sauce like buffalo to dip in.

Fyi you can order a side of egg or just a piece of grilled chicken from McDonald's I order chicken sometimes and use nugget sauce like buffalo to dip in.

Oh wow! That's a great tip! I love their hot mustard sauce... Will have to try ordering just the grilled chicken next time thanks!