Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need food! 7 days post op

8 days post op, and I know exactly how you're feeling!! I thought it was just me felt really bad but today I had a little bit of cream of chicken, minus the chicken pieces ???? but it was way better than just broth and Protein shakes!! But hang in there we're all gonna get through this!! SB is anyone having an issue getting all your Water intake done?

I'm 10 days post op. I've been getting in 40-55 fluids. I don't feel dehydrated at all. I've only been able to get in 1 Protein Shake a day though. :( my team is gonnnna be madddd. Lol I'm mad but once I start drinking even the second one I feel like I'm gonna blow. I can't wait for pureed so I can actually get some Protein in and add the unflavored in. We shall see. It's a learning process. I feel a little bit hungry today though.

I was told if we get the Protein and we would not get hungry and so today I got a nice amount of protein in. I was a little hungry But not like before. I think it was more of a normal hunger and so when I ate some oatmeal just now I'm satisfied but a normal satisfied. Not the type of satisfied where I want to pinch off someone's plate, lol.

Didn't you all get handouts of what was allowed at each stage?? The first real food I had was mashed potatoes but it definitely wasn't in the Clear Liquids phase!

Here is what my doctor told me when I said I wad craving mashed potatoes...." You may as well eat a bowl of sugar". That freaked me out. I do not recommend cheating early on. The sooner you can make better choices a new way of life, the better off you will be. This journey is one day at a time. You have a lifetime to eat the foods you are missing today. There is a grieving process that many of us go through. I actually cried over the foods I missed. I actually wrote out a list. Keep a journal. Be aware of your feelings about the food. It gets better

OK, so it sounds like most everyone is on some kind of liquids - clear or full - for at least 2 weeks post surgery. Now I know every surgeon's plan is a but different, but should I be concerned that my surgeon has me progressing to solid food too quickly? Per his post op diet plan I am only on liquids for 2 days post op and then I go straight to mushies from Day 3 - 14. Day 14 starts with textured food. Veterans please take a look at this plan, should I be worried? I am having VSG 12/7 and want to make sure I am set up to succeed!

HOSPITAL

STAGE 1

Post-Op day 1 – No Food

Water/Ice chips

No maximum – drink as tolerated

HOSPITAL

STAGE 2

Post-Op day 2 – No Food

Water, ice chips, sugar-free fluids, broth, de-caf coffee/tea, diet Jello

HOME

STAGE 3

Post-Op

Days 3 – 14

Breakfast

lunch

dinner

Supplemental Protein or Milk Drink (s)

1-2 oz pureed (mushy) soft, high Protein meals. Examples:

Yogurt, Cottage cheese, Ricotta cheese, tuna Fish, eggs, Ground chicken or turkey

Can add Protein powder to any food to increase protein.

NO RED meat

64 oz. fluids daily in-between meals

[Water, ice chips, sugar-free fluids, broth, de-caf coffee/tea, diet Jello, sugar-free ice pops]

SUPPLEMENT DRINK (s)

20 - 30 total grams per day by Protein Drink (s) or 2 milks

STAGE 4

Days 14 - 30

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

2-3 oz regular textured high protein meals (may add beans)

Breakfast ONLY alternative:

Hi-Fiber cereals – see specifics on back page

Can add 1-2 tablespoons cup soft, canned fruits in Water or natural juices, applesauce, banana added to cottage/ricotta cheese or yogurts

Same Fluids – 64 oz daily

SUPPLEMENT DRINK (s)

20 - 30 total grams per day by Protein Drink (s) or 2 milks

STAGE 5 - 1 Month

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

3-4 oz regular textured high protein meals

Red meat Allowed

PLUS Lettuce with low calorie dressing

Non-starchy vegetables – soft

Same fluids – 64 oz daily

SUPPLEMENT DRINK (s)

20 - 30 total grams per day by protein drink (s) or 2 milks

STAGE 6 – 6 Weeks

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

3- 4 oz high protein meals

PLUS

2 servings vegetables daily

½ cup cooked / 1 cup raw

2 servings fruit daily = small whole fruit or ½ cup

Same fluids - 64 oz daily SUPPLEMENT DRINK (s)

20 - 30 total grams per day by protein drink (s) or 2 milks

FINAL STAGE 7

At 1 year or when 75% Excess Weight Loss

3- 4 oz high protein meals

PLUS

2 servings vegetables daily

2 servings fruit daily

Complex Carbohydrates ( 3 servings or less)

64 oz daily fluids

At 1 Year Protein Supplement drinks can be replaced with healthy Snacks.

Snacks should be protein, plus or minus fruit, vegetable or hi-fiber carb at about 150-200 calories

The goal of liquids for at least a week & then straind, to mushy/soft then...is because your stomach has to heal, also, if you eat solids too soon it hurts like hell. Not sure why your Dr is only giving 2 days. But by day 2 or 3 liquid still hurt going down.

I do however question not having mushy at day 10 if not 8. Since it made me have cravings to a point of not caring. I wonder if at some point they will find it better to bring mushy foods sooner with choices of healthy food, as so many people cheating could be the result of the body in a sorts of shock with only liquids.

i am 15 days post op. my post op is this: 2 weeks Clear Liquids. 2 weeks of clear and full liquids.. Protein drinks, sugar free yogart, milk, homemade Soup. weeks 5 and 6 soft/pureed food.... mashed taters, mashed Beans, oatmeal, cream of wheat, baby food, unsweet applesauce. week 7, regular diet. My doc, whom I love dearly, is very conservative and cautious.

I have not been nauseated one single time. The only time I felt bad is when I had fever in the hospital. Yes, my stomach was really sore, obviously, but I have done great. Like perfect practically! He knows what he is doing for sure. I feel i am ready for oatmeal and cream of wheat and mashed taters already, but I saw him today and he said the long staple line of my new banana stomach has to heal.I trust him completely.

All I can suggest is to follow your docs orders. I do not see, however, how extending liquid and pureed foods diet can be harmful, but like I said, listen to your doc.

Hang in there! This is prime losing time. Go for broth or non chunky soaps with a bit of unflavored Protein powder. Months from now this period will feel like a distance memory.

100% agree with BLERDgirl. This was me literally 2 weeks ago and it already feels like a distant memory.

My jaw kept tensing up and the taste in my mouth bothered me a lot. It feels a lot better if you can get some breath mints ( I personally had Halls because I like them) just to change the taste in your mouth. Just make sure that they are a reasonable kind and that you won't eat too much of them. No gum BTW, at least that is what my doctor told me..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Absolutely listen to your Dr as he knows your medical record personally. Each Dr also sees the best course a lil diff which is why so many different stage menu's

@@ezbeinggreen - my post-op "guide" was very similar to yours...I have had no issues....we don't all get the same directions :D

@@bellabloom that's funt, because I had surgery 11/11 and I still have a lot of trouble getting in just 1 Protein shake and 1 meal a day. I'm m still struggling so, that now when I eat and it's really good and I want it, I just chew and spit it out cause I know it's going to be so hard to get it down and if it does it may not stay anyway.

That way I won't overeat and I'll get at least some of the nutrients from the food. At least I hope so.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Lucky. My surgery is 12 14. On 12 17 i get to start full liquids and i am in that phase until 1 12. I think already that im going to be dying for an egg seriously. 8 days 10 days sounds like heaven to me. I have a month. So be happy your surgeon only gives you full liquids for about 2 weeks.