Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you have too much protein?

I am having my surgery on Tuesday, November 24th. From recommendations I bought GENEPRO Protein Powder which has 30 grams of Protein per serving. It's supposed to be tasteless and odorless and not change the consistency of anything so I was thinking I could just add it to everything I drink to get my protein in. My biggest concern is Hair loss and everyone keeps telling me that I need to make sure I get all my protein in and it should help. First, Is this true? Second, Is it possible to have too much protein in a day?

When I was banded and in the process of losing weight, I did lose hair when my Protein fell off. I had trouble eating so I supplemented eating with Protein shakes and Protein "shots" that are in a container that resembles test tubes (there's controversy if these really work or not but I did not want to lose hair). I also took Biotin.

My doctor advised 25-30 grams per meal. I still follow that particularly in my morning shake. (I have a hard time eating Breakfast so the shake suffices)

I don't think I ever ate too much protein to the point is was bad. I had the opposite problem of getting enough in.

Have I eaten over the "recommended daily amount."....Yes but not on a consistent basis.

Good luck on your surgery

JosieK

When I was banded and in the process of losing weight, I did lose hair when my Protein fell off. I had trouble eating so I supplemented eating with Protein shakes and protein "shots" that are in a container that resembles test tubes (there's controversy if these really work or not but I did not want to lose hair). I also took Biotin.

My doctor advised 25-30 grams per meal. I still follow that particularly in my morning shake. (I have a hard time eating Breakfast so the shake suffices)

I don't think I ever ate too much protein to the point is was bad. I had the opposite problem of getting enough in.

Have I eaten over the "recommended daily amount."....Yes but not on a consistent basis.

Good luck on your surgery

JosieK

Thank you!

I have been taking 5,000 units of Biotin for the past 2 months figuring I would give myself a headstart. My doctor said that I should be having 80-100 grams of protein a day and seeing how I am already getting sick of the shakes on my pre-op diet figured this GENEPRO protein would make it easier to get in by adding it to my drinks.

As far as I'm concerned GENEPRO isn't really Protein. There are absolutely no third party studies or analyses that support the manufacturer's claims. There are no unbiased studies that indicate pre and post Protein serum levels that would quantify the absorption rate and efficiency. No analysis of individual amino acids to indicate whether it is a complete protein or not.

Basically They start out with whey protein, but the molecule is then so altered, it is really no longer a protein molecule. They play around a lot with the hydrogen. It doesn't take much to change what something is when you start adding and removing atoms. For example, the oxygen we breath is made of 2 oxygen molecules. Remove one of them, add two hydrogen molecules and you have Water. Add one more hydrogen and you have hydrogen peroxide. Oxygen, Water and hydrogen are not interchangeable even though they differ by just 1-2 molecules.

Now let's look at this company's other products....."miracle" weight loss and male enhancement supplements. Not a lot of credibility there. You're better off sticking with "real" protein supplements with decades of scientific proof that they are providing proper nutrition. But be careful not to chug down a high Protein shake in too short of time. Our intestines can only absorb 10-20g of whey protein per hour. Other types of protein are absorbed even slower. Any excesses protein is converted to glucose, so you might as well be drinking sugar water.

Edited by Kindle

Quick answers--

Yes you can get too much Protein and it can impact your kidneys. But too much is a pretty high amount and you aren't likely to get there.

hair loss will be greater if you don't get all your Protein jn and Hair loss may be mitigated by Biotin, but you can't always stop it. I did all my protein and lots of Biotin and still lost lots. It has to do with what stage of cell reproduction the hair is during your anesthesia. Google telogen effluvium.

Btw I agree on GENEPRO. They don't respond well to questions either getting argumentative and combative. Makes me think they aren't convinced on their product either.

As far as I'm concerned GENEPRO isn't really Protein. There are absolutely no third party studies or analyses that support the manufacturer's claims. There are no unbiased studies that indicate pre and post Protein serum levels that would quantify the absorption rate and efficiency. No analysis of individual amino acids to indicate whether it is a complete protein or not.

Basically They start out with whey protein, but the molecule is then so altered, it is really no longer a protein molecule. They play around a lot with the hydrogen. It doesn't take much to change what something is when you start adding and removing atoms. For example, the oxygen we breath is made of 2 oxygen molecules. Remove one of them, add two hydrogen molecules and you have Water. Add one more hydrogen and you have hydrogen peroxide. Oxygen, Water and hydrogen are not interchangeable even though they differ by just 1-2 molecules.

Now let's look at this company's other products....."miracle" weight loss and male enhancement supplements. Not a lot of credibility there. You're better off sticking with "real" protein supplements with decades of scientific proof that they are providing proper nutrition. But be careful not to chug down a high protein shake in too short of time. Our intestines can only absorb 10-20g of whey protein per hour. Other types of protein are absorbed even slower. Any excesses protein is converted to glucose, so you might as well be drinking sugar water.

Thanks for this. I was considering switching because it's such a smaller "dose". I tried adding unflavored Isopure protein to broth and it altered the taste. I only used half a scope and it made my toes curl in a bad way. I might try it again now that I'm a few days out.

Thank you all for the information! So nervous getting everything prepared before I go in. Definitely gave me a lot to think about! ????

I used gene pro after my surgery because I couldn't get enough Protein in. I know there are skeptics out there. But I didn't lose my hair. It didn't even shed. I am 15 months post op with NO thinning hair, it's longer now than it's ever been. I now get all my protein from food and have since about 8 months post op. So do what is best for you! Gene pro doesn't have a taste and you can add it to hot or cold liquids also. I read that people lose their hair and I know it's a side effect of the surgery. I did take 30000 mg of Biotin and I still do that today because I did t want to take any chances and even if I took more than I needed my doctor said too much wouldn't hurt me. So there you go we all have different experiences with this surgery. Good luck to you!

So glad to hear that!! I'm hoping for the same outcome. I know everyone has a different experience but I just want to do whatever I can to try and prevent it. If it works great, if not at least I know I tried. Thanks!

My NUT advised me that the body can only absorb about 30 to 40 grams of Protein per meal.

Anything over that threshold would simply be converted into glucose and burned. So in essence there's no reason to consume more than the threshold

hair loss happens. It's not related to Protein I'm afraid. It's good to get your Protein in for other reasons, but you may lose hair regardless. Or you may not! It's just luck.

Take your Vitamins and eat your nutrients. Take Biotin in your Vitamins. And try not to worry. It's so worth it to lose this weight and it stops eventually.