Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stray Observations a Few Days Out...

Had surgery on 11/16 and, all things considered, am feeling fan-frickin-tastic. This app/forum has been a phenomenal resource for me and I truly believe that reading about the pain really helped me understand and prepare for it.

Anyway, now that I'm only a couple days out and clearly an ~*expert*~ (feel free to laugh here) these are my stray observations:

- There is something living in the lower left side of my tummy. I feel it stabbing, clawing, and itching me from the inside out. It gets its kicks by pulling out a little feather and tickling me until I want to roll on the floor for release, not unlike my dog. I fully expect a little alien head to pop out that cluster of incisions soon. What's up, a new buddy!

- My skin looks bomb. It just might be the copious hydration and feline sleep schedule (you think?!) but I've finally kicked the pesky breakouts that have lingered since, um, whenever "regular" acne became "adult" acne.

- I am harder to put down than a Gillian Flynn novel, but once I get to sleep, just watch me go! I will resist a nap like a recalcitrant toddler then sleep with an intensity you've never seen. Also, I'm sleeping about 10 hours a night and relishing every moment of it. I feel like I spent years in sleep deprivation and now it's basically my job, guys.

- Walking never appealed to me and now it's my favorite thing (outside of sleeping and touching my now-smooth face, of course.) I live in the suburban sprawl of Chicago where, unless someone is clearly jogging or out with kids and/or a dog, you wonder what the heck they're up to. Who is this adult? Why are they alone? Where are they going? Don't they want to run there, or at least take a Pomeranian with them? I now love exploring my neighborhood, getting fresh air, and realizing that everyone else's grass looks kinda patchy up close too. That's okay, snow will cover it soon. *voice cracks as a single tear rolls down my cheek*

- Speaking of cheeks, I'm still carrying around excess Fluid and am 4 lbs heavier than surgery weight, but I can tell the fat is melting since my cheekbones are thawing out. Maybe I can stop "Kontouring like a Kardashian" in a few months, hooray!

- Also regarding cheeks (can you believe I have TWO cheek-related points? Impressive) I've taken to calling myself "Chipmunk" on account of my drinking strategy. That strategy is "Think about hydration nonstop, sip for a while, forget about your lil' pouch and take a huge swig, then hold that Water in your cheeks for a while like a panicked forest animal." Every time I do it I swear that will be the last time, then 1 hour later my face is full of chamomile tea that I'm carefully dripping down my throat while resisting the urge to giggle.

- What is binge-watching, and how do I do that? TV shockingly doesn't really appeal to me right now. I used to enjoy marathon TV weekends but all I have patience for at this point is reading or scribbling in my "adult-friendly" coloring book. Perhaps I won't regret failing to catch up on this season of Scandal when I'm gazing upon the gorgeous artwork lining my walls. *Looks up at the gallery of crudely torn coloring book pages featuring improbably colored hummingbirds and decides to fire up the Netflix*

What is your post-surgery milieu? Any fun facts you learned about yourself after WLS?

I just love your humor. This brightened my day. You should start a journal for all of your funny anecdotes.

NewLifeFinny, this post made my day! I had Rny along with 5 other surgeries and repairs on 11/12. I too have the alien, so there must have been some invasion in those few days. It's such a strange sensation.LOL I too am waiting for that horrible little creature to pop out of one of my beautiful incisions! (My 32 yo daughter said it's like we have a new family member...Mom's Pouch) We are thinking on having a contest to see who could come up with the best name!????

I just started to be able to watch tv and actually understand what I watched for 2 days now. Should kick in for you any minute if we follow suit here also. YOU MUST WATCH SCANDAL. OMG is all I can say.

I'm suddenly cooking up a storm for myself...stuff I can't even have yet! (Hubby is on his own for a few weeks and after 42 years he's let out his gourmet cooking talent for himself that I've never seen before)hmmm. Made those chicken pizza crusts at 7 am today. Making ricotta bake and some salsa Verde white bean Chile later when I get off my tablet. Tomorrow I'm breaking out the mixer and baking Christmas Cookies. OMG. Ya know, I got clearance to start my Vitamins yesterday. Those Bariatric fusion are something else. Haha.

As for my weight stats I'll list:

Age. 60

Hw. 256

Surg at 215

Home at 219????

This am at 211.1

I'm happy!!

Once again, loved your post...Made my day. With your attitude you will have great success on your wl journey. I will be following your posts! and, I'm in the south Chicago suburbs... coincidence or alien?!?!?

I had surgery on the 16th as well and I am very upset to be deprived of the gremlin in my belly but I also have the chipmunk cheeks several times a day! I also crack myself up holding it - my spouse thinks I've lost it. I feel pretty great overall...well except for that red hot poker stabbing near my main incision. Wait, maybe that's the gremlin and he is only equipped with the poker and forgot the feather. just my luck.

Had surgery on 11/16 and, all things considered, am feeling fan-frickin-tastic. This app/forum has been a phenomenal resource for me and I truly believe that reading about the pain really helped me understand and prepare for it.

Anyway, now that I'm only a couple days out and clearly an ~*expert*~ (feel free to laugh here) these are my stray observations:

- There is something living in the lower left side of my tummy. I feel it stabbing, clawing, and itching me from the inside out. It gets its kicks by pulling out a little feather and tickling me until I want to roll on the floor for release, not unlike my dog. I fully expect a little alien head to pop out that cluster of incisions soon. What's up, a new buddy!

- My skin looks bomb. It just might be the copious hydration and feline sleep schedule (you think?!) but I've finally kicked the pesky breakouts that have lingered since, um, whenever "regular" acne became "adult" acne.

- I am harder to put down than a Gillian Flynn novel, but once I get to sleep, just watch me go! I will resist a nap like a recalcitrant toddler then sleep with an intensity you've never seen. Also, I'm sleeping about 10 hours a night and relishing every moment of it. I feel like I spent years in sleep deprivation and now it's basically my job, guys.

- Walking never appealed to me and now it's my favorite thing (outside of sleeping and touching my now-smooth face, of course.) I live in the suburban sprawl of Chicago where, unless someone is clearly jogging or out with kids and/or a dog, you wonder what the heck they're up to. Who is this adult? Why are they alone? Where are they going? Don't they want to run there, or at least take a Pomeranian with them? I now love exploring my neighborhood, getting fresh air, and realizing that everyone else's grass looks kinda patchy up close too. That's okay, snow will cover it soon. *voice cracks as a single tear rolls down my cheek*

- Speaking of cheeks, I'm still carrying around excess Fluid and am 4 lbs heavier than surgery weight, but I can tell the fat is melting since my cheekbones are thawing out. Maybe I can stop "Kontouring like a Kardashian" in a few months, hooray!

- Also regarding cheeks (can you believe I have TWO cheek-related points? Impressive) I've taken to calling myself "Chipmunk" on account of my drinking strategy. That strategy is "Think about hydration nonstop, sip for a while, forget about your lil' pouch and take a huge swig, then hold that Water in your cheeks for a while like a panicked forest animal." Every time I do it I swear that will be the last time, then 1 hour later my face is full of chamomile tea that I'm carefully dripping down my throat while resisting the urge to giggle.

- What is binge-watching, and how do I do that? TV shockingly doesn't really appeal to me right now. I used to enjoy marathon TV weekends but all I have patience for at this point is reading or scribbling in my "adult-friendly" coloring book. Perhaps I won't regret failing to catch up on this season of Scandal when I'm gazing upon the gorgeous artwork lining my walls. *Looks up at the gallery of crudely torn coloring book pages featuring improbably colored hummingbirds and decides to fire up the Netflix*

What is your post-surgery milieu? Any fun facts you learned about yourself after WLS?

Are you a writer? I feel like I am reading a novel..

I just love your humor. This brightened my day. You should start a journal for all of your funny anecdotes.

Thank you TinyTink! :)

NewLifeFinny, this post made my day! I had Rny along with 5 other surgeries and repairs on 11/12. I too have the alien, so there must have been some invasion in those few days. It's such a strange sensation.LOL I too am waiting for that horrible little creature to pop out of one of my beautiful incisions! (My 32 yo daughter said it's like we have a new family member...Mom's Pouch) We are thinking on having a contest to see who could come up with the best name!????

I just started to be able to watch tv and actually understand what I watched for 2 days now. Should kick in for you any minute if we follow suit here also. YOU MUST WATCH SCANDAL. OMG is all I can say.

I'm suddenly cooking up a storm for myself...stuff I can't even have yet! (Hubby is on his own for a few weeks and after 42 years he's let out his gourmet cooking talent for himself that I've never seen before)hmmm. Made those chicken pizza crusts at 7 am today. Making ricotta bake and some salsa Verde white bean Chile later when I get off my tablet. Tomorrow I'm breaking out the mixer and baking Christmas Cookies. OMG. Ya know, I got clearance to start my Vitamins yesterday. Those bariatric fusion are something else. Haha.

As for my weight stats I'll list:

Age. 60

Hw. 256

Surg at 215

Home at 219????

This am at 211.1

I'm happy!!

Once again, loved your post...Made my day. With your attitude you will have great success on your wl journey. I will be following your posts! and, I'm in the south Chicago suburbs... coincidence or alien?!?!?

Thanks so much for your kind words, Gigs! And I love hearing about how this post-surgical experience has been for you. You are my role model for being able to cook, bake, and not eat! My husband fried an egg this morning and I was watching him like hungry dog.

I'm in Oak Lawn and my surgeon is Dr. Gerald Cahill. Where are you? Small world! :)

I had surgery on the 16th as well and I am very upset to be deprived of the gremlin in my belly but I also have the chipmunk cheeks several times a day! I also crack myself up holding it - my spouse thinks I've lost it. I feel pretty great overall...well except for that red hot poker stabbing near my main incision. Wait, maybe that's the gremlin and he is only equipped with the poker and forgot the feather. just my luck.

Sorry your tummy buddy has a poker instead of a feather, sketcher! How are you feeling now?

Are you a writer? I feel like I am reading a novel..

Definitely not an author, Niki, but flattered you'd think so! Just supremely bored with walking, reading, and watching junk TV in my Snuggie. ;)

I'm doing great. I guess eventually the pain around that main incision will stop burning. I'm only two weeks out on Monday, I'm just impatient because I feel normal in every other way. I feel lucky. Still have chipmunk cheeks though. Real food ought to be interesting.

Same here! Two weeks out and feeling pretty much normal (besides being extra sleepy and missing food. :/) When do you start "normal" foods? I have another week of full liquids left. Before surgery I never appreciated the great variety of light Yoplait yogurt flavors lol.

I don't know what comes next. something changes at 3 weeks but I'm supposed to call my nutritionist and see what to do as my next appointment with her was scheduled 5 weeks out from my surgery. I'm not sure if it is pureed food or soft foods.

Ooh, might be soft foods! Exciting. Keep me posted.

Well, the world just got smaller! Finney, we live in the same town!!! But, I had my surgery at Good Samaritan hospital in Downers Grove. My surgeons are Drs. Rosen and Michail.