Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do with old clothes?

Hi there!

I have not had my surgery yet, but have lost 40 pounds since June, with the help of my bariatric doctor. I'm finding that many of my clothes are too big. I'm using thrift stores and clearance sales to pick up some work clothes that fit, and I've had some wonderful co-workers give me some clothes in my new size. What I'm not sure about is what to do about my old clothes. I have lost weight before, but have never gotten rid of my bigger sized clothes. Now that I'm planning on having gastric bypass surgery in January, it really seems silly to keep them. I've considered selling them to a cosignment shop where I live to get some credit to purchase smaller sizes. I'm wondering what others who have gone down several sizes have done.

Thanks for the input!

Donate. You can find non-profits that provide services to women, such as homeless shelters, job training/back-to-work programs (for your work-appropriate things), domestic violence shelters (they need kids' clothes, too), et al. Used clothing is minimal in terms of IRS deductions, but the benefit of knowing you've given a boost to people in their efforts is immeasurable.

You can also hold periodic clothing exchanges with others in your surgery practice and donate the things that aren't adopted within the group. It takes a little more thought and a little more work, but nothing inordinate.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I used to hold on to everything, now I donate it all. I keep nothing. Once the weight is gone it's never coming back so why keep them, that's my thought. That's a great idea about the consignment shop.

I do consignment, gave some to a friend, gave some to a student in need and also goodwill. Going to take my suits to an organization that outfits women looking for jobs.

Going to take my suits to an organization that outfits women looking for jobs.

I began organizing a WLS clothing exchange nearly six years ago. About five years back, I partnered with a local organization to host the events. It works perfectly all around: We have a nice place with dressing rooms and they receive the things that go unclaimed, giving them larger sizes, which are always in short supply there, for their clients.

I put everything in huge bags and take it to my local church. Lots of women will have nice clothes soon.

I don't want to keep it, it will never fit again.

I usually donate my clothes but given the drastic amount of weight that I'm losing, I'm having difficulty keeping in smaller stuff. Right now I'm keeping all of my bigger clothes in totes and I may have a yard sale in the summer and use that money toward some new clothes. I'm hoping by next summer I'm closer to my goal and won't be wasting money on clothes that I'm just going to be getting rid of again. I work in a hospital and have to dress so most of my clothes are nicer and hopefully I can get something decent for a huge wardrobe!

Hope so. Do you have a consignment shop you could take some of your things to? You would probably get a lot more money from a consignment shop. I never got much money selling clothes in a garage sale.

keeping all of my bigger clothes in totes

Several years ago I packed a lot of clothes in plastic containers, either Rubbermaid or Totes (or are they the same?) When I opened them a few years ago, the stench almost knocked me over and everything was moldy. The only solution is to drag it all out to the trash. I have no idea how long it took to go moldy, but you may want to repack in fabric suitcases or cardboard boxes. If the latter, tape over the open slits to prevent wool-eating moths from getting in. I think those moths are like pennies -- the multiply and you never have a clue as to how they got there anyway. heereroerope oouoodwa

Consignment shop, It's like we trade. I get smaller clothes and the bigger sizes go fast for them. That being said, I keep a credit, I have one pair of jeans 2 hoodies and some t-shirts, since they will all be too big soon, it's less to exchange.

Most of my clothes were suits and the like, so not really suited (no pun intended) for the homeless population or I would give them away.

@@winklie -- There may be some back-to-work training programs in your area. Men who participate in them need appropriate interview clothes, suits and other presentable things, depending on the types of jobs they're interviewing for. It's usually state/county agencies and non-profits that provide the programs. If they don't also have a clothing component, they may know of one in your area.

I took the liberty of googling for something in NH. Not that you're obligated. It's just that I have the soul of a librarian. Research Lite is fun for me. (If you follow through and find a good organization near you, one of their volunteers may even be able to stop by to pick up what you decide to donate.)

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html/new_hampshire_community_action.html

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch