Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I'm about 6 weeks pregnant. I'm a little over a year out from VSG surgery and lost all but 5 pounds of my excess weight!!! Before finding out I was pregnant, I was eating an average of 800 calories a day. Now, I'm STARVED. I had not been hungry once since my surgery until about a week before I found out I was pregnant (should have been my first clue!). I'm eating about 1500-1600 calories a day now (which is a struggle) per my dietician. This still doesn't seem to be curbing my appetite however. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

Congratulations!

Have your PCP/Nutritionist/Obstetrician work together for both of your needs.

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

Full disclosure: I'm a guy, so I might not know this stuff...but in my info session they said don't get pregnant for 24 months after surgery. This is because you may not be able to compensate adequately for the "double" nutritional requirements you will have. Be sure you keep up the liquids...because that is the most important nutrient for both yourself and the baby...and don't restrict the fat at this time either!

Double nutritional value? She's growing a human baby, not a baby elephant. :D

When I was pregnant, my doctor was VERY adament that I was NOT eating for two, I was eating for one and a baby shrimp. All I needed was an extra 200 calories (about an apple) above a NORMAL diet, not over what I was currently inhaling, to maintain a healthy me and a healthy baby.

I chose not to listen and gained about 100 pounds of baby weight over the course of two children that I never lost leading to my need for WLS. I wish I would have listened.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I had hyperemesis with two of my children and lost more than 30 pounds each pregnancy. I couldn't keep anything down and needed iv fluids. My doctor assured me that the baby will take what it needs from my body and be fine...and they were! In fact, one was almost 9 pounds. Make sure you get your Vitamins daily.

Full disclosure: I'm a guy, so I might not know this stuff...but in my info session they said don't get pregnant for 24 months after surgery. This is because you may not be able to compensate adequately for the "double" nutritional requirements you will have. Be sure you keep up the liquids...because that is the most important nutrient for both yourself and the baby...and don't restrict the fat at this time either!

Surgeon's guidelines are very different across every single subject. You are on this website enough to know that. And even if I had broken my surgeon's guidelines, it wouldn't change the outcome.

Congratulations!

Have your PCP/Nutritionist/Obstetrician work together for both of your needs.

Thanks!!! I've spoken to everyone. I've been getting different advice on how many calories, but went with the dietician at my surgeon's office recommendation.

@@stephh - congrats!!!!!

Thanks so much!! ????????????

Double nutritional value? She's growing a human baby, not a baby elephant. :D

When I was pregnant, my doctor was VERY adament that I was NOT eating for two, I was eating for one and a baby shrimp. All I needed was an extra 200 calories (about an apple) above a NORMAL diet, not over what I was currently inhaling, to maintain a healthy me and a healthy baby.

I chose not to listen and gained about 100 pounds of baby weight over the course of two children that I never lost leading to my need for WLS. I wish I would have listened.

LOL. I feel like I might be growing an elephant!!!

With my first child, before WLS, I gained about 20 pounds, but was already very obese. I'm nervous for this time around because I have worked so hard.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I had hyperemesis with two of my children and lost more than 30 pounds each pregnancy. I couldn't keep anything down and needed iv fluids. My doctor assured me that the baby will take what it needs from my body and be fine...and they were! In fact, one was almost 9 pounds. Make sure you get your Vitamins daily.

Thanks!!! Was this before or after WLS?

I talked to my OBGYN already about the vitamins. I'm going to get a little extra bloodworm done to make sure all of my blood levels look appropriate. He wasn't concerned about it, but I'm extra cautious as it is about them.

I talked to my OBGYN already about the Vitamins. I'm going to get a little extra bloodworm done to make sure all of my blood levels look appropriate. He wasn't concerned about it, but I'm extra cautious as it is about them.

It was before, seeing as I'm still preop LOL. I just wanted you to know that babies can still thrive under less than ideal circumstances. You'll both be fine.

I talked to my OBGYN already about the Vitamins. I'm going to get a little extra bloodworm done to make sure all of my blood levels look appropriate. He wasn't concerned about it, but I'm extra cautious as it is about them.

It was before, seeing as I'm still preop LOL. I just wanted you to know that babies can still thrive under less than ideal circumstances. You'll both be fine.

Thank you! And I really appreciate that you shared your story. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Hi all! I'm about 6 weeks pregnant. I'm a little over a year out from VSG surgery and lost all but 5 pounds of my excess weight!!! Before finding out I was pregnant, I was eating an average of 800 calories a day. Now, I'm STARVED. I had not been hungry once since my surgery until about a week before I found out I was pregnant (should have been my first clue!). I'm eating about 1500-1600 calories a day now (which is a struggle) per my dietician. This still doesn't seem to be curbing my appetite however. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

hi stephh! i just had my baby 9-28-15. i started at 257 and was reached my goal of 150 when i was 14months out, then two weeks later i found out i was pregnant. i too was only taking in about 700-800 pre pregnancy. around 13 weeks pregnant i started getting insanely hungry, literally every two hours. for me it really didn't ease up until i was about 32weeks. my dr wanted me to take in about 1800 calories a day i ended up putting on 42lbs in total. i lost 15lbs after my c section taking me from 192 to 177. i have been stuck there for the past two minths unfortunately, the scale just doesn't want to move for me. keep taking in as much Protein as you can. keep high protein Snacks with you if you're getting hungry often! congratulations on your pregnancy, you can pm me if any questions

hi stephh! i just had my baby 9-28-15. i started at 257 and was reached my goal of 150 when i was 14months out, then two weeks later i found out i was pregnant. i too was only taking in about 700-800 pre pregnancy. around 13 weeks pregnant i started getting insanely hungry, literally every two hours. for me it really didn't ease up until i was about 32weeks. my dr wanted me to take in about 1800 calories a day i ended up putting on 42lbs in total. i lost 15lbs after my c section taking me from 192 to 177. i have been stuck there for the past two minths unfortunately, the scale just doesn't want to move for me. keep taking in as much Protein as you can. keep high Protein Snacks with you if you're getting hungry often! congratulations on your pregnancy, you can pm me if any questions

Thank you so much for responding!!!!!! I feel like I'm in the exact same scenario you were. I feel so much better knowing that someone else is hungry too. I was afraid of it being head hunger.

Congratulations on your new baby! How was your pregnancy besides being hungry? Had you been pregnant before? Was it different? Sorry, I have SO many questions!!!

Your weight gain doesn't seem bad to me. It seems like a manageable weight and will probably come off. I already have argued with my Dr about gaining weight... He said I could aim for 10-20 pounds because I'm at the top end of my healthy weight range. So far, I've stayed steady, but I'm not very far along.

hi stephh! i just had my baby 9-28-15. i started at 257 and was reached my goal of 150 when i was 14months out, then two weeks later i found out i was pregnant. i too was only taking in about 700-800 pre pregnancy. around 13 weeks pregnant i started getting insanely hungry, literally every two hours. for me it really didn't ease up until i was about 32weeks. my dr wanted me to take in about 1800 calories a day i ended up putting on 42lbs in total. i lost 15lbs after my c section taking me from 192 to 177. i have been stuck there for the past two minths unfortunately, the scale just doesn't want to move for me. keep taking in as much Protein as you can. keep high Protein Snacks with you if you're getting hungry often! congratulations on your pregnancy, you can pm me if any questions
Thank you so much for responding!!!!!! I feel like I'm in the exact same scenario you were. I feel so much better knowing that someone else is hungry too. I was afraid of it being head hunger.

Congratulations on your new baby! How was your pregnancy besides being hungry? Had you been pregnant before? Was it different? Sorry, I have SO many questions!!!

Your weight gain doesn't seem bad to me. It seems like a manageable weight and will probably come off. I already have argued with my Dr about gaining weight... He said I could aim for 10-20 pounds because I'm at the top end of my healthy weight range. So far, I've stayed steady, but I'm not very far along.

this was my 3rd pregnancy and csection. my first two were before my sleeve and i was already over 200lbs wih them. i never got sick with my preop pregnancies, but this one i did. i felt like i had two modes i was either hungry or.nauseated lol. they kept telling me during my sonos that the baby was small she was the smallest of.my children but was still a healthy 6.5lbs with no complications. during the first trimester i put on 4lbs. i put most of the weight on in the second trimester and honestly it took me a bit.of time to come to terms with that scale going up. i.worked really hard to get down to 150. which is why im so frustrated with the scale not.moving now.

is this you first? when are you due?