Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can I do with...sweet peppers?

I just bought a bag of fresh sweet peppers at Aldi. Other than eating them plain, I am looking for some easy ideas on how to use them?

Does anybody have a good recipe they can share?

Salads, stir fry, blended with olives for a dip or to serve over meats like chicken or beef.

Oh, and in looking back over the recipe, I remembered that it calls for shredded chicken. I've always just used cooked ground turkey or chicken when I make it. I don't know why, but I prefer ground meat for nachos. :)

The EASIEST stuffed peppers ever......saute some onions and mushrooms in a little olive oil until soft. Cut peppers half long ways, remove seeds, rib. Put a piece of provolone cheese in the pepper, add a few slices deli sliced roast beef, top with another slice of provolone cheese. Bake at 350° until heated through and cheese is melted. Low carb deliciousness!

I buy tons of red peppers when they go on sale and roast them, then slice and freeze (they freeze REALLY well):

http://www.marinmamacooks.com/2013/09/how-to-roast-red-peppers/

They are amazing for topping meats and with cheeses, and I use them on my mini pizzas as well.

(my mini pizzas are low carb tortilla, about a half a spoonful of spaghetti sauce, mozzarella cheese and then red peppers and pepperoni and whatever else sounds good - I layer all of that and then heat about 1-2 minutes in the microwave)

Edited by FrankiesGirl

The EASIEST stuffed peppers ever......saute some onions and mushrooms in a little olive oil until soft. Cut peppers half long ways, remove seeds, rib. Put a piece of provolone cheese in the pepper, add a few slices deli sliced roast beef, top with another slice of provolone cheese. Bake at 350° until heated through and cheese is melted. Low carb deliciousness!

I tried to edit but couldn't from my kindle but wanted to add They are "Philly Cheese Steak" stuffed peppers

Stuffing them works with full-sized peppers, not the cute, miniature type. Wash them, cut in half lengthwise, remove stems, seeds and membrane. You can find oodles of recipes for fillings via Uncle Google; just choose any that appeals to you and suits your sleeve needs.

Also with full-sized peppers, char them so that the skins come off easily (when cool enough to handle, but you know that). Slice into quarters and store in the refrigerator in olive oil. They keep indefinitely. Drain as you use the pieces -- they are a good, versatile condiment. It's easier to google for the simple directions than it is to describe here.

I have no particular suggestions for the miniature. I bought a bag of them only once, having wanted them because they're so pretty. The taste was more bitter than the larger ones. They may vary, though, as most things do.

Have fun experimenting.

P.S. There are plenty.of recipes for stuffing the miniature peppers, Uncle Google once again.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

I vote for stuffed peppers. I use a meatball base (ground beef, ground pork, onions, egg, a very tiny handful of minute rice, salt, pepper and a splash of Tomato sauce). I am a year out and close to goal so i include that rice but you don't need to.

Cover them with tomatoe sauce and bake until that pepper is completely cooked.

I just had them the other day. They are delicious but they fill me up in just under a half cup.

BBQ them before stuffing them!