Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just like clockwork my hair started falling out at 3 months....we've all talked about when it would start, but when will it stop?

Starting to see some bald spots of my own (3 months, 10 days out)...the consensus is that it should all be done and regrowing no later than the six month mark. I still don't know what to do about haircuts, because it is relevant to the look on top, but since you can't tell what part of the head you will lose from, it is difficult to plan. Also, holding off on a haircut doesn't stop the loss, so I am at a loss as to what to do.

I don't think their is anything we can do but ride it out as part of the journey...I'm eating Biotin like nobody's business but whether that does any good is debatable...

Mine has begun to feel dry and brittle ... I'm 3 months post op tomorrow. I have shorter, very thin hair already so I'm probably gonna be bald ????

I'm on week 3, and this week it's twice as bad as last week and last week was bad :( I've been through this a number of times before but it's never easy, i have a bob haircut between jaw and shoulder and fine hair to start with. I am keeping it this length at least for another year until it stops falling then the regrowth about catches up. then i will grow it longer again.

oh yeah an i officially blocked the shower drain filter with my hair the other day! - a neat trick for someone who has fairly short hair!

I can completely relate. I am 5 months out and every shower - clumps of hair come out. I also take hair/nail supplement like its going out of style! I am getting a haircut next week (current length: just past shoulders). My hair is thin and fine anyway, but having it long doesn't. help (breakage, etc). So we will see how it goes.

Would be nice to hear from someone who has started to see regrowth and at about what month is that and did you do anything special to help it along?

As soon as it starts to go, I'm heading to a wigmaker and getting a top piece! They are awesome for hiding the hair loss!

I'm 8 days post op and concerned about this too. I was told if you kept your Protein intake high and took the Vitamins as well as extra biotin... Your chances to lose hair weren't as great. Can't start taking supplements until going into my third week post op though

I take my Protein and Vitamin supplements - still have Hair loss. I'm really thinking it's our bodies reacting to the rapid weight loss Hoping my hair stylist will be able to give me cut to accommodate until it gets better.

Why it happens.

You pretty much just need to ride it out. My dermatologist says Biotin doesn't really help hair regrowth, but it does help skin and nails. This may help.

I agree I've been taking my supplements and Protein and megadosing Biotin and the results are the same. We have provided a shock to our system and this is what happens. Hair loss after traumatizing the body is par for the course....I don't think it has anything to do with calories or vitamins...

@hhbbmm4. I am 17 months post op and have had significant Hair loss. Also my hair was dry, brittle, and lost its shine.

Seems like I have tried it all: lots of Protein, Vitamins, Biotin, essential oils, raw veggie juicing, coconut oil, emu oil....the list goes on

What finally made a HUGE difference was I began taking liquid silica and then added powdered marine collagen. I add them both to my Water.

My hair loss is pretty much back to normal. Even better; my hair is shiny, and is losing is dryness and brittleness.

Everyone is different but that's what finally worked from me.

Thank you!! I was also wondering if Rogaine would help.

I'm six months out and like most right at 3 months it started...and FINALLY, it is slowing down....I have been taking extra hair, skin and nails vits for years and I think it helped some...luckily I do have VERY thick, kind of course hair so it isn't really noticeable until it starts to grow back and stands up...and most is coming back really curly lol Good Luck all!

I'm 8 months out, I lost a lot of my hair....I got a nice wig to wear a couple of months ago to help hide the balding spots. Now I don't go out with out it. They lady matched it really sell to my natural hair. If you can afford it i suggest go invest in one. Does wonders to our self esteem.