Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Can't find a protein drink that I can tolerate!

I will be starting my liquid pre-op liquid diet soon. The purpose is to shrink my liver so it has to be low carb (6-7 carbs max) & high Protein (min 15 g) all-liquids to help clean out my intestines.

Problem is, all the Protein Drinks I've tried literally nauseate me. Some even give me an immediate headache.

Obviously I have to find something, and fast!

Here are the drinks I've tried:

- Premier Protein (ready-to-drink, vanilla. This was sooo sweet, with a horrible artificial sweet taste. (And is the brand that is most people's favorite !)

- Atkins Advantage coffee flavor. The first few sips weren't too bad, but it's then the sweetness took over, and it even gave me a headache.

- Vega One chocolate had the same too-sweet, artificial sweetened flavor that makes me gag. Plus since its dairy free, it has a slight gritty/grainy texture.

- Garden of Life Organic Plant Protein chocolate had the same problems as Vega One.

- Garden of Life Raw Protein chocolate was the only one that Sint have the sickeningly sweet taste. Since its dairy free, it has a slight gritty/grainy texture, but I think I could live with that better than the sickening sweetness odf the others. If I had to.

Years ago I was on a doctor-supervised liquid diet and I recall liking the drinks quite well, so there's got to be something out there!

You will probably get a lot of suggestions and I really like the Premier Protein, so I may not be the best to ask. having said that I also use Precision Engineered whey Protein Isolate. I love both the chocolate and vanilla. (The vanilla smells WONDERFUL!) A couple of tips if you cannot find one but have to drink one of the above - use a closed lid so you don't smell the drink. That seems to be part of the problem. Also get some of the sugar free flavored syrups (like Torani brand but there are many others). Added to a shake, it will sometimes take that "protein" taste out. I really like the sugar free Salted Caramel (Torani brand) mixed with the Vanilla Premier Protein is really good! Good luck!

Sorry, they all suck. Premier Protein is the only one I can tolerate.

I had that problem with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury powder - would make me throw up just to smell the unflavored stuff, and forget about consuming it.

Check out the diabetic versions of shakes - I can't remember which one (might have been ensure?) but I had some that really worked well and weren't super sweet. You should be able to find some in the nutritional aisle in most grocery sections (although I think some stick them over in the pharmacy area).

I also liked muscle milk and the market pantry (Target's store brand) Protein shake.

After many tries these are the ones I like (and I could never stand the premier Protein either)

Syntrax Matrix esp vanilla, Peanut Butter cookie, mint cookie

Syntrax nectar esp iced tea, lemonade and dragonfruit (these are more clear juice type than shake type)

Fit frappe spiced chai

Quest especially salted caramel, banana and Peanut Butter cookie

Click coffee ones

BSN syntha 6 esp Mochaccino, vanilla ice cream and orange cream (these are for maintenance or if you workout a lot because they are higher carb)

Have you tried Celebrity Slim? I add the 200ml of milk as suggested then 100ml of Water on top, the flavours taste just like Masters Choc Milk or banana Milk, or Choc Banana Milk, yum! These expand in your stomach though so pre-surgery my NUT suggested I cut the regular amount into thirds.

Otherwise I have just tried Optifast Banana which is actually delicious, i was expecting to absolutely hate it.

curvybritt

Edited by curvybritt

Isopure is really great, I only like the green apple and grape flavors and they definitely have to be cold.

I had the same issue, I seriously thought I would never be able to find something I could tolerate. I wasn't even trying to fall in love with a Protein shake, I just wanted one I could tolerate. I spent so much money (too damn much) on different ones. Some were recommended on here, others from the support group I am and a few were encouraged from my surgeon and or NUT. They all sucked.

I enjoy the Syntrax nectar. They have lots of flavors. Some sweet, some less. My saving grace was finding a board on Pinterest that gave all kinds of recipes for Protein smoothies/shakes.

I ended up also buying some Torani SF syrups which made everything taste a little better. I tricked myself by telling myself I was "treating" myself when I used the blender to mix-up different protein recipes.

Here check it out:

https://www.pinterest.com/eggface/protein-shakes-and-smoothies/

Have you tried Syntrax Nectars? They come in fruity Jolly Rancher-like flavors that mix great with Water! Put them with ice in a tumbler with a straw... it makes a world of difference from the chocolate/vanilla stuff.

They are great number wise too:

90 cal

0 g carb

0 g sugar

23 g Protein

Otherwise I have just tried Optifast Banana which is actually delicious, i was expecting to absolutely hate it.

curvybritt

I really like the Optifast products.

I had a very hard time with any of the sweetened Protein drinks. The only one I could really tolerate post-op was powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup flavour. It's savory not sweet and was a lifesaver. You should check out their website, you can order single serving sample packs of all their flavors to try and see if you like them. Although the only one of theirs I liked was the chicken flavour, the rest... way too sweet.

Now I can do okay mixing a chocolate powder with my Decaf coffee in the AM, the coffee cuts the sweetness a lot. You could also try not mixing them with milk. I found the sugar in milk pushes the sweetness in the shakes that much further. Try Water, or unsweetened almond milk.

Remember, if mixing any Protein Powder in a hot beverage, you need to let it cool to 140F or the Protein will clump and not mix in... been there.. nasty and undrinkable.

After surgery, your taste buds may change. So if you find a Protein shake that agrees with you prior to surgery, it may taste awful afterwards or the opposite may happen. So experimentation is the best way to go. You are a lot closer to telling what will work and what will not. There is a lot of variation available out there.

In my opinion all Protein shakes taste terrible. The goal after surgery for me was to find one that I could tolerate. What worked for me was "Muscle Milk Light" vanilla Creme powder mixed with Water in a Ninja blender (individual serving cup) blended with a half a banana.

Since you are in pre-op, you might even try using a few cups of hot cocoa each day. But you must use the "No Sugar Added" type and low fat or no fat milk. The weather is beginning to turn colder and hot cocoa is rather enjoyable.

I like unjury, chocolate Splendor (+ 2 Tb. malted milk powder), vanilla and strawberry. They I add no sugar flavoring syrups, DaVinci. I haven't tried Torani syrups yet. The advantage of Unjury is that it is 100% Protein isolate so you can bet on the fact that the number of Protein grams you are actually able to absorb is the same as what is advertised. Some of the cheaper ones have junk protein in them that can't be absorbed.

Thanks and please keep the suggestions coming. I'll try the ones suggested.

The drinks have to have at least 15 g of Protein and less than 7 g carbohydrate so Optifast, which I like, isn't an option :-(

EAS carb control ,dark chocolate. Also Quest vanilla and salted caramel.