Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Packing My Hospital Bag...

My sleeve surgery is scheduled for 12/2. It's going to be a busy 2.5 weeks as I have my pre-op appointments next week, have family in town for Thanksgiving and also try to get all of my Christmas shopping done so i don't have to do anything but heal after surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to pack in your hospital bag? Anything you wish you had packed and didn't?

chapstick, a comb or brush, undies, socks, and just wear home what you wore there. Keep it lite, you're not going to be there long, and while you're there, all you will want to do is sleep, when you're not up walking.

The one thing I was very thankful for was Listerine. They ask all patients to use it prior to surgery (ie. less chance of bacteria being pushed down your throat from your mouth if you use an antiseptic mouth-wash - makes sense!), so I had it with me. My leak/swallow test was the next morning. My mouth/throat was on FIRE from dryness, it was horrible! I would rinse with Water, and it helped for only 2-3 minutes. However, when I rinsed with Listerine, it relieved the dryness for a good 30 minutes or so. It was wonderful!

Also, water-mix. I do not like plain Water, so I carried my own water-mix to put in my water. Helped me get water in more easily.

Two things I packed that were lifesavers were: a small travel pillow to brace against my sore tummy

And mouthwash. I took Biotene which is a moisturizing mouthwash, but I am sure any type would help. One of the above posters said Listerine helped her. It does keep the horrible dry mouth at bay.

Good luck on you surgery

A friend who had the surgery suggested a few things, an extension cord because it is painful to move your body around, flushable wipes, panty liners ( because it can cause you to start), heating pad, gas x strips (if your doc approves), biotene or listerine, sports bra. I am scheduled for 12/4 so let me know if this was a good list:) good luck on your upcoming surgery!!

I'm packing my bag as we speak, so thanks for all of the suggestions guys!!

Here are somethings that I was glad I packed-toothbrush and tooth paste, deodorant, phone and charger, I did pack my kindle fire for reading and I am glad I did because I ended up being there four days due to complications. I forgot to bring a pillow so hubby bought me a medium size sea lion stuffed animal to lay over my stomach for the ride home. that really helped with the bumping on the ride home. I wish I would have brought chap stick..ohh the dry lips after surgery was awful and I wish I would have brought a sleeping mask to block out the hospital lights from the hallway.. as usual it is hard to sleep in the hospital..but I think that would have helped. The nurse case manager told me to bring slippers to walk in and I never used them because they give you those non slip socks that are just fine for walking and when I left I wore the same clothes that I came in with. wishing you the best of luck=God bless. you will do fine!!!

@@sleevednanny thank you! All great ideas. Good luck to you on your surgery!

chapstick, a comb or brush, undies, socks, and just wear home what you wore there. Keep it lite, you're not going to be there long, and while you're there, all you will want to do is sleep, when you're not up walking.

Could not have said it better myself. Lol

@@BairwithMe I plan on bringing my iPad Mini for reading and such. The sleep mask idea is BRILLIANT, I'm the type who will stuff towels under the door to keep the light from shining through so I bet that will help a lot! I also bought a very loose, long nightgown to walk the halls in, instead of a gown. Hopefully they'll let me wear it :)

Thanks for the tips. I will start packing today. @@Half of Bri I stuff towels under the door and have the black out shades in my bedroom. I am most definitely taking my eye mask.

I am scheduled to get sleeved 12/1. I'm so nervous I was just wondering what to pack. Listerine is a great idea. Thank you!

Thanks for the tip I am being sleeved 11/30 and definitely wondering what to pack

The one thing I loved and used most was my body pillow for support. If I just had the hospital issue pillows, my pain would have been much worse. As far as Chapstick, I brought some, but they also provided me with some in the hospital. Beyond basic clothing and slippers, I didn't really want or need all the stuff I packed, such as listerine pocket packs, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, or toothpaste. All that stuff was provided by my hospital so I didn't even need my stuff. All hospitals are different, but call ahead and find out what they provide. You may find it's more than you know!